Straight clip planchet 50% ?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Marites Foertsch, Sep 18, 2021.

1. Marites Foertsch

Marites Foertsch Honey bunch

BF997E75-C2A8-4F53-942E-D2CCF96FB1D3.jpeg I actually have no idea if my coins is real or not I just keep buying and buying even I was quite here I just love to collect all different coins. Everyone I need opinions please thank you all so much… 3DBEB344-C751-4B1B-A25B-D96B734640FF.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

Very old and has a counter-stamp. I think it might just have been cut in half... Show a picture of the edge please.

Marites Foertsch likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

That is definitely not a straight clip.
    Probably broken or cut as mentioned.

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I hope you're not paying too much money for stuff you have no idea what they could be.

6. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Lawnmower Job ? Maybe it was sold as a 4 Reale ?

7. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

This was common for them to be cut in circulation to make change, since a dollar was a lot of money. These coins circulated in the US until 1857. An 8 reale could be quartered twice to make 8 pieces (pieces of 8). Each piece was one reale (12.5 cents) with two pieces being a quarter dollar (the origin of 2 bits meaning a quarter).

8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Hope you got it cheap enough and just to educate yourself.

9. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Its an old piece of a Spanish copper coin 1700-1800's

10. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Are you sure its copper? ;) Look up Tortola C/S.

The OP or another member can then ID the piece. All that's left is to authenticate it.

11. potty dollar 1878

Its a piece of a heavily corroded silver reale it looked copper to me not corroded i guess not my mistake.

12. Southernman189

Southernman189 Well-Known Member

yes I agree looks cut to make "small change" back in the day. Cool coin I love that type of history

13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It’s real, somewhere around the early 1800’s I think. Probably silver. They were cut to make small change. That’s about all I can tell you on this so keep it safe.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  14. potty dollar 1878

The pirate festivals coin dealers were to expensive for my taste can't wait for tonight its going to be a blast even though I'm under-aged someone isn't im not worried about getting caught:D:D.

15. potty dollar 1878

And also thanks learned something very interesting.

16. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

They circulated in the US long after 1857. The coinage act made them no longer legal tender for taxes and duties. And they could not be paid out.

Foreign coins could be bought in at the mints, assay offices, and land offices but at bullion values and they were sent to be refined and recoined as Federal money. Prior to 1857, they would just have been paid back out.

The coinage act (http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=llsl&fileName=011/llsl011.db&recNum=184) specifically (de)valued the Mexican dollar, 2 reales as 20c instead of the previous 25c.

The director of the mint was instructed to provide value equivalents for coins commonly in circulation. You can see these tables in the annual reports into the 191xs.

17. Marites Foertsch

Marites Foertsch Honey bunch

Thank you all so much sorry I was busy …

Draft saved Draft deleted