Storing the coin collection

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by blackarrow, Oct 12, 2018.

1. blackarrow

blackarrow Member

One more question, since I will have a lot of coins from different countries... Is there any way to see what is missing, to be more precise, what country/set would be easiest to complete, on the basis of coins there are already there.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yes, they are a very good idea, here's why. While the coins and the holders both are manufactured with a certain degree of precision it is not at all uncommon for the coins to not fit well inside their given holder, or for them to get stuck inside once they are inserted into it. In other words, because one or the other is off just slightly, they can be too tight or too loose. The rings solve that problem completely. The coins will always fit and be held securely with no movement possible, and they will always come out easily should you desire to remove them.

And before you ask, the rings are 100% inert and will not affect the coins in any way.

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yeah you could find out but I don't think it would be very easy. It's been some years since I've looked at the various collection software programs so there may have been updates or changes in recent years. But as I recall none of them just present you a list of all the options for every date/mint denomination combination there is for a given type that allows to see it all at a glance. You have to enter pertinent info for each coin yourself.

But you could use a coin catalogs like the Krause catalogs and look 'em up that way. But even that is labor intensive.

5. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

Before storing the coins, I would identify as soon as possible any rare, scarce or valuable silver or gold coins and give those an acetone bath to prevent PVC or other environmental damage that may not have appeared yet or will worsen if left untreated.

6. spirit

spirit Member

As a novice in numismatics, you should not consider cleaning any of your coins.

7. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

I agree with spirit and as a rule you should never clean coins. Exception: if you are unsure of the environment a coin was stored in, and you suspect PVC or other potential environmental damage, an acetone bath as an act of preservation before putting a coin you just acquired away for long-term storage may be prudent; however, before you consider acetone, find a local coin club, or coin dealer and learn from them, and I practiced on junk silver before using it on more valuable coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted