Storing Gold Bullion - Is Leather OK?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Tracy62, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Tracy62

Tracy62 Well-Known Member

I have a few ounces of gold coins that I store in air-tites. I am considering buying a vintage, hand-tooled leather pouch to keep them in.

Am I at risk for damaging the coins?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

4. Tracy62

Tracy62 Well-Known Member

Ugh. Don't like the looks of that at all. Well, it was a good thought...

Thanks for the reply, I think I'll pass on the leather pouch.

5. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I pay a premium for toned gold.... just saying ;) I tried storing some $2 1/2 Indians in leather for a couple years and they didn't change at all. If leather DOES tone gold, in takes YEARS

Tracy62 likes this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not a good thing to do but that's just my opinion.

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Since chromium is a product often used in tanning, most leather is processed overseas in countries that allow it ( usually flows to the ocean or ponds. Acidic products can be in the leather, such as tannic acids, so not a good idea for most coins. Gold would take a long time. Faux leather might be OK as usually texile+plastic mix.

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Someone could always get Tom from "Mountain Men" on the History Channel to process the leather. He doesn't use any chemicals and tans all of his leather products by hand.

Chris

9. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I bought this to store Mexican 2 pesos gold coins...
    no coins in it yet, other coins coming first lol
    brown pouch. copy.jpg

10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The only way I know that doesn't use chemicals is the old chewing it as it is rawhide at that point. How are Tom's teeth ( if he has any ?) The skulls from ethnic groups that did this ( mostly women) are worn down to the nub. Jim

11. cpm9ball

The show does have segments showing him tanning elk, deer & beaver skins, but I've never seen him chew on any.

Wait a minute! On second thought, I do recall that he used a solution to help remove fat from the hide. After applying it, he scraped it off. I may have been wrong in my earlier comment.

Chris

12. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

He probably uses brain tanning. This is the way the native americans did it: https://www.leather-dictionary.com/index.php/Brain_tanning

13. cpm9ball

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

In reality, it depends. When it comes to the toning of any coins we must always remember that there are a great many different variables all of which have an effect on the speed of which something happens or doesn't happen.

A leather bag is but one variable !

Draft saved Draft deleted