Storing coins in liquid nitrogen.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

Most coins will tone eventually, it's fate is sealed like death.

Oxygen reacts with metals, that's a granted.

Storing coins in water is bad, because water reacts with metal.

However, I wonder what effect there would be storing coins in liquid nitrogen?

Liquid nitrogen would prevent oxygen from tarnishing the coins, but I'm not sure what reaction there would be with nitrogen.

I have no plan of doing this, but was just curious.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

My guess is the metal would be messed up from the extreme cold. Items can be shattered after being in liquid nitrogen.

gubni likes this.
  4. Detecto92

That's true, there would have to be some kind of system to prevent rapid warm-up.

The reason I asked this question, I wonder if there is a way to keep a coin preserved perfectly for 1,000 years?

5. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

What about the rapid freezing???

6. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Nitrogen will not react with metals, but there is absolutely no utility in storing coins in liquid nitrogen since you would scarcely ever be able to look at them "in hand" and you would need to continuously replenish the cryogenic container with more liquid nitrogen. This would get mighty expensive.

7. Detecto92

Do you think all the MS coins that exist now, will be toned/tarnished 1000 years from now?

I wonder what storage methods were used on some of the copper I've seen from the 1700s that is still mint red?

You would think the oxygen content of the air would cause it to darken, much like copper pipes in an old house have turned brown for exposure to air.

8. Tom B

Coins that are exposed to relatively small amounts of air and that are stored in relatively dry environments will tone substantially more slowly than coins stored in other conditions or than the copper pipes in a home. The most "convenient" method for near impervious indefinite storage would likely be to drop a coin into molten glass and keep the blob.

Nuglet likes this.
  9. Detecto92

Huh? Glass melts at around 1500c, copper melts at 1,085c.

10. wkw427

wkw427 Member

Wouldn't that cause surface damage? Molten glass..

11. Storing coins in liquid nitrogen...talk about cold, hard cash. TC

Asylum and furryfrog02 like this.
  12. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

Witch, February, Brass Monkey ....

rickmp likes this.
  13. Tom B

Different glass compositions melt at different temperatures.

14. wiggam007

wiggam007 Cut-Rate Parasite

Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to store them in just a Nitrogen gas environment? In that case you would just need an air tight "humidor" if you will that pumps in the nitrogen and out the oxygen as well as regulating the temp I would imagine. It would be cheaper than liquid nitrogen almost assuredly, and coins could be removed at any time to be examined and then replaced with no harm to the coin.

15. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

^ wishful thinking, there is ALWAYS a way to harm coins :p

16. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Yes, 1400° to 1700°. However, there is a much easier/better solution. Store them in a vacuum. There are lots of ways to maintain vacuums.

17. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

They'll get eaten by Ted Williams' head.

18. Tom B

Glass can have a melting or transition temperature lower than 1,000C.

19. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Why not just shoot them all into space for safe keeping...I mean since we're on the subject of impractical and unrealistic storage methods.

20. Tom B

I like this idea, but now we have to make certain they don't go into Earth orbit and then burn up upon re-entry. Perhaps they should be aimed to the outer edges of the solar system?

21. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

At one time I had a lucite paperweight with all denominations of 1964 coins inside. It seems that might be a good solution until you have to break them out. Nearly all of mine were blast white except for the quarter which had become purple, perhaps because of some residue that did react with the metal over time. Look on eBay, you'll see others.......just thought I'd throw out another impractical storage idea :)

Draft saved Draft deleted