Storing coins in cardboard 2x2s

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dimedude2, Jun 21, 2021.

1. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Actually, most office staplers have a plate that can be rotated between flat and regular staple patterns.

Nyatii likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I haven't used one of those for decades. So, correct me if I'm wrong, but the plate can be rotated between points facing inward and points facing outward. It's not really a "flat cinch" that faces inward.

Kentucky and Southernman189 like this.
  4. Southernman189

Southernman189 Well-Known Member

I have to agree with that I never seen a flat cinch until I went to an office supply place and asked for it. all the "rotating" cinch plates I have seen cinch inside or outside.

Kentucky likes this.
  5. Derek2200

Derek2200 Well-Known Member

Works good for me

6. NumismaticGary

NumismaticGary Active Member

If I may put in some input it’s actually one of my biggest peeves when people do what you say. Cent goes in cent, nickel goes in nickel. Why anyone wouldn’t beats me friend but you do you. Personally I don’t care to see the edge unless it has edge lettering :)

For example my local dealer always does this. He also only sells cent flips. Asked him for dime sized and he gave me cent. I was like wth man.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  7. Southernman189

Southernman189 Well-Known Member

and this is why some folks collect ONLY wheat cents or ONLY Dimes. Such a wide choice of likes and dislikes. I have ran into collectors that wouldn't touch Errors of ANY type. I myself have a few coins in the "wrong size" flips because better than NO flip at that time. Everyone has own tastes' and choices.

8. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

same here, you just have to "peel" the cardboard up and away, then let coin slide out unstapled part

9. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

Never blow on your 2 x 2's before closing them up. You could be introducing fine moisture particles to the surface which could transfer to the coin. Best would be compressed dry air. I know some the canned air you can buy to clean computers are a good choice. However, read the cans contents before using. Some may have other chemicals in with the canned air. Using a puffer is fine too.

10. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

I found the best tool to flatten out staples are called lineman plyers. High quality plyers will flatten staples with one squeeze. Normally these are at lease 3/8 inch wide on the end. I have a few sets. Mine are 1/2 inch and 5/8 inch wide. If you're not sure which to buy. Take an empty 2 x 2 put some staples in it and take it to Home Depot and test the tool before you buy a pair. Some are better than others. These are usually found were they sell electrical parts. These will last a life time plus. One pair I use often is at least 50 years old. To take staples out I use a good pair of needle nose plyers. Don't be cheap, buy good quality American or German made tools. Don't buy junk Chinese tools, they aren't worth wasting your money on.

serafino likes this.
  11. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Yes, I don't know why I said I blow on them. I know better because I learned it on CoinTalk!

NumismaticGary likes this.
  12. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

I use 2x2s for my foreign coins if I can't fit them into a folder or album.

Draft saved Draft deleted