Storing coins in cardboard 2x2s

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dimedude2, Jun 21, 2021.

1. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Good point.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bayern

Bayern Active Member

As for staplers, I use the Max flat clinch stapler, which automatically flattens staples as you go. They are available at most coin supply online stores, as well as Amazon. They are priced around $15, and a box of Max brand staples (5000/box) is around $2.50. Wizard and Coinsupply express are 2 of the better known online stores, and have most everything you will need. The latter has the best over all prices for quality supplies from my experience, and also excellent customer service. Also a decent variety of reference books. As for 2x2 coin storage boxes, I usually use black heavy duty cardboard double row boxes. They also are available in assorted sizes with single row. The red boxes are good as well, just not as durable. CC single row boxes (blue for nickels, green for dime, etc. don't hold up as well from my experience). I have not used the following product, and if not mistaken, it is called Dullers Darkener, but this might help you with the staple scratches. At least to keep them from standing out so much. Not sure if readily available online, but have seen it at coin shows. It comes in a small capsule from what I recall. Hope this info is of some help to you:happy:

BS Coins likes this.
  4. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

Thanks so much for the feedback. For some circulated coin I bought today, I remitted used the end of a paper clip to rip the Mylar and move the coin to the new 2x2. So easy and worked well.

5. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Three staples center one at the bottom Right?

6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Nyatii likes this.
  7. Cheech9712

Hey. Do you member use an over sized holder for your coins. Examples being a nickel holder for a cent coin. Meaning 2x2 holders. My coin guy (brother Chuck) says yes so you can see the 3rd side of the coin

Kentucky likes this.
  8. Cheech9712

Hope you dust them off now a then

Inspector43 and Kentucky like this.
  9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Actually I have a lot of them with no staples, just make sure to put the opening edge at the bottom!

Inspector43 likes this.
  10. Cheech9712

Brilliant. Good idea

Inspector43 likes this.
  11. Cheech9712

Oven???? Calling @KentuckyI use his baked coins to scratch my lottery scratch offs. He’s my lucky coin guy. I’m going to do 3 now. Brb.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    Kentucky likes this.
  12. love old coins

love old coins Well-Known Member

That's what I do!

13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The only coins I had problems with were proofs. The cardboard dust could leave tiny dark spots over time.

14. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Before inserting a coin in a 2x2 I either use a puffer or blow on the on the Mylar to get rid of any foreign material from the surfaces.

Bayern likes this.
  15. Bayern

Bayern Active Member

Always a good idea.
    I do this as well, as often I'll notice a few specks of dust on/near the mylar window.

16. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

Just make sure you don't try blowing it off with your breath. You will leave microscopic moisture particles. You probably know this.

17. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

Boy, this triggers my dormant paranoia for some reason.

Why would an appraiser even open a 2x2? It just seems entirely unnecessary.

My darker imaginings see someone opening the 2x2’s, taking out the good coins, which you have never seen, and replacing them with inferior stuff.

Just this much information makes me think this was not much of an appraiser. Are you sure that what came back was the same as what was sent?

If nothing else, he should be held accountable for effectively destroying any value of those scratched large cents.

Sorry to be so negative, but this incident really rubbed me the wrong way. This person should never be allowed near coins without supervision.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    buckeye73 and capthank like this.
  18. marve

marve Member

i have kept all my coins in 2x2 for years and they look fine to me i havent thought about changing.

19. buckeye73

buckeye73 Well-Known Member

I store lesser value coins in over-sized cardboard 2x2’s in order to maintain a clear view of the rim of the coin. For example, a quarter holder is used for a nickel. Also, the stapled open end of the 2x2 is at the top to prevent potential damage from staples when removing the 2x2 from the storage box. When the coin is removed from the 2x2, a wooden toothpick is used to penetrate and tear the Mylar. Any metal device used to remove the coin could potentially damage it.

Higher value coins are slabbed and middle range coins are stored in archival vinyl flips to eliminate damage from staples of any kind.

BS Coins likes this.
  20. Southernman189

Southernman189 Well-Known Member

I finally bought one of those staplers last month LOVE it, it works great

21. BS Coins

BS Coins Member

There are so many questions about this I just can never have answered. The person bringing them in sold the guy are the really valuable stuff but when he heard the entire set wasn't getting sold, things went down hill. I need to not dwell on it though. I can't change what happened and can't prove any wrongdoing... it's about enough to make me physically sick. Not having first right of refusal on the high dollar coins boils my blood too. I'll go work on my breathing exercises now...

Draft saved Draft deleted