Storing coins in cardboard 2x2s

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dimedude2, Jun 21, 2021.

1. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

I have some coins in the 2 x 2's since I was a kid over 50 years ago. Never had a problem. I can say the same when looking at coins in a dealer's stock. I've seen coins that have been in them for a very long time. Removing coins from these isn't hard. Needle nose plyers pulling the staples out works fine. I've also done it with a pair of scissors cutting close the the staples. What I would avoid is ripping the 2 x 2 open by grabbing an edge and pulling them apart. The coin could drop and hit something or when pulling the coin out there is a chance to scratch the coin if it goes against a staple.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

If you’re not having issues why change?

4. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Yes technically you can reuse silica if you dry it out. the problem with the packets is you can't really tell if you've got it dried out enough.

Kitty litter, if it's crystallized, is a silica, and it can work, the one caveat with that would be the deodorizers, fragrance, and clumping agent chemicals that are added to it. there's also clay or "other" categories of recycled biodegradeable materials or combinations of all 3. I personally wouldn't gamble on using a kitty litter but to each their own, if it's a crystallized silica, it should work though in theory, no clue if there will be undesired side effects, I mean it's sold for cats to poop in, I don't know if they really care if a additive offgasses and might cause toning or not.

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Oh sure! Use kitty litter so the cat will pee on it!
    ROFLMAO 1.gif ROFLMAO 1.gif ROFLMAO 1.gif

charley, Kentucky, chuck123 and 3 others like this.
  6. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

I actually prefer the boxes to the pocket pages. There is a tendency with them to fill every pocket. Then when you get that coin that fits between two other coins you end up having to move them to make room. With a box you just find where your hole filler goes and slip it in.

longshot and capthank like this.
  7. cpm9ball

ZACKLY!

8. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

I've dried out silica in the past for my gun/ammo stuff without a problem. It's been awhile as I now just run a dehumidifier in my gun/ammo room.

I believe you can get non-fragrant kitty litter that is all silica, without clumping agents. With that being said, I'm not sure about any additional things they might ad so you are probably right to avoid the unknown. Silica is fairly cheap if ordered by the bag.

9. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

Who has cats?

John Skelton and serafino like this.
  10. Thomas R Reynolds

Thomas R Reynolds Active Member

Ace Hardware sells silica in 50 and 100 piece packs. Relatively cheap compared to coin dealers. Every time I visit my safe deposit box which is about every two months I pull out the old 25 pieces of silica packs and replace them with new ones. All coins kept at home are protected by them also.

serafino likes this.
  11. BS Coins

BS Coins Member

I recently purchased the majority of coins from my grandfather's estate. When the collection of big pennies was being appraised, the person cut the staples of the 2x2's without removing them. I should add I wasn't there to witness this... So now about 20 of my new pennies have brand new scratches. I haven't even actually received the coins yet but I'm already sick to my stomach. Of the coins I have received, the mylar on many of the morgans and peace dollars are torn already and dark spots are forming on the coin edges. Some are in flippers that have been flipped too many times and falling apart. I am currently putting them in old slide pages (in their 2x2's or flippers) to protect them until I come up with a better solution. The pages don't smell of mylar, but who knows. I received the coins I have gotten so far in ziploc baggies so something needs to be done to protect them right away.

So I have a few questions about all of this as I'm essentially a new collector. I have been collecting for 25 years but until now my most valuable coin was an ihp worth about 8 bucks which I found in the dirt.

I feel like all of the 2x2's with torn mylar should be replaced. Where is the best place to get them? Are there preferences to what type of staples to use or staplers for that matter? What type of boxes do you all prefer? My grandfather had them in metal boxes that he modified to hold coins, but I don't believe these are around any more. Maybe I'll get them, but they are probably in rough shape any way.

Lastly, what should be done about the large pennies with new scratches? I feel like the answer is just cry a little and move on, but that doesn't seem to be very productive... I guess a yelp review is in order, but that wont help me at this point either. Just put them in new 2x2's and move on?

I will have them within a month so I can post pictures if it is helpful at all...

Thanks in advance for the help and advice.

serafino likes this.
  12. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

Can't believe this has not been mentioned. Buy several Dansco 7000 albums with the protective slip cover and store your cardboard 2X2's in those. Super protection and no risk of staple damage while being stored.

13. cpm9ball

You should point out to that appraiser that the Large Cents didn't have those scratches, and that he (the appraiser) should compensate you for the damage.

If you're going to replace the 2x2's, you should get yourself a flat-cinch stapler. They use standard staples and are available online and at most office supply stores.

Southernman189 likes this.
  14. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

LOL, every old lady in my neighborhood has at least 4 cats and they call them their fur babies. ;)

Kentucky and Nyatii like this.
  15. BS Coins

BS Coins Member

I would raise cane with the shop had I been there. However, I neither saw the coins directly before or after. So I don't really have much to go on. I mean it's pretty obvious what happened, but then again, that shop is halfway across the US from me as well...

16. BS Coins

BS Coins Member

Thumbing through the 2x2 sleeves, they are clear file archival plus. Looks like none of that brand have every used pvc.

17. cpm9ball

I'm not sure what you mean. The cardboard 2x2's have a mylar window that does not contain PVC. Some flips (that look like saddlebags) do contain PVC while others, like SaFlips, do not. Unless you are experienced using them, it's not that easy to tell one from another.

18. BS Coins

BS Coins Member

The binder sleeves that hold 2x2 They are intended for slides. I couldn't read the brand on the first several pages, but I found one that was very clear.

19. cpm9ball

If you're referring to the 20-pocket pages, I hope you aren't putting unprotected coins directly into the slots. You are putting the coins in cardboard 2x2's or SaFlips, first, aren't you?

20. BS Coins

BS Coins Member

Yes, they are all in something. But many of the cardboard edges is the 2x2's are rough and the mylar of some are cracked. But as I said before, they arrived to me in zip lock bags. So until I get new flips ordered, they will be safer in there then where they are currently.

21. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

If the staples are rusted you may have a moisture issue, if not, leave them alone. Great question, thanks for asking. Good luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted