Storing circulated together with uncirculated?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by myownprivy, Mar 12, 2019.

1. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

I understand almost everyone will think it is a bad idea to store uncirculated with circulated coins together in the same roll or same tube, but why? Because it might scuff, scrape, or transfer toning?

Will storing an uncirculated coin in the same roll as a circulated coin cause that coin to now be considered circulated?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I don't do that because there may be a form of contamination (seen or unseen) on the circulated coins that can be transferred to the uncirculated coins.

4. Robert91791

Robert91791 Well-Known Member

Im sure its still going to be uncirculated. I have all of my circulated coin regardless of grade. However, all of my uncirculated are in rolls.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Just about any way you look at it, it's a bad idea to store unc coins in a roll, or by any other method where the coins can come into contact with each other. Why ? Because contact can and will generate wear turning unc coins into circ coins.

And when ya come right down to it, storing circ coins in rolls is also a bad idea because that can and will generate more wear and lower the grades of your coins.

When it comes to storage, ALL coins should be stored in hard plastic, individual holders in order to protect the coins to the best of your ability. But, many people consider trade offs if you will such as - expense, convenience, personal preference, appearance, and portability. And so they store their coins in different ways.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Rich Buck likes this.
  6. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

No matter how you store your coins just make sure to take out any coin that has gangrene (verdigres, etc) on it and toss it into a different bin for an acid bath or something (or nothing).

7. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

"Aye, there's the rub." William Shakespeare, Hamlet, Act 3, Scene 1. ;)

Cal

8. Chip Kirkpatrick

Chip Kirkpatrick Well-Known Member

Had to reread the question. I thought the subject was uncircumcised coins.

I think all of mine qualify.....

9. Robert91791

Robert91791 Well-Known Member

This is too simple. The answer is definitely "NO".

10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

So, that box of cents I bought is going to cost me a bunch to store? :)

Stevearino likes this.
  11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Welllllllllll - depends which trade-off option you choose - but for YOU, a resounding yes - it should be about double ! At least if all my friends at the supply stores have anything to say about it once I give them your name and description :D

Draft saved Draft deleted