Storing big/oddly shaped medals

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Paul M., Jan 8, 2017.

1. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

How do you guys store medals that are either very big (>40-50mm), or oddly shaped and don't fit well into capsules? I've had a few art deco medals catch my eye recently, but I realized I don't have any good way to store them.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I buy these slabs on eBay. 2016 Clark Gruber 41mm Octagon 1.5 oz..jpg

Curtisimo and Paul M. like this.
  4. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Sadly mine are in the bigger 2.5x2.5 flips and then in a Tupperware.

Paul M. likes this.
  5. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

This is just a guess as to dimensions, but how about a clear plastic page that holds nine baseball cards?

Walmart Baseball.jpeg

I wouldn't buy them online, I'd just go to Walmart, examine them, and buy how many you need; the item number is Walmart 552666941. They "may" come regular and heavy-duty, don't know. The basic pack of 100 pages is $19.99 online, plus postage. Little pieces of 2-sided tape would keep them from sliding out.

Lighthouse makes black plastic pages with 4 pockets on each side, the pockets are 5" x 3 3/4".
    Due to the weight, I would only use 4 pockets per page. I'm guessing they're less than a buck at a stamp dealer's.

6. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@Paul M.

JP's Corner sells 4"x4" flips, but I don't know if they are PVC-free. You might want to call them to check.

http://www.jpscorner.com/coin-flips.html

Also, there are map chests and flat files listed online that would be suitable for storing and/or displaying large medals, but they aren't cheap.

Chris

8. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

One can buy plastic flips as big as 4"x4" for medals. I bought a few boxes years ao and still have some left.

A caveat. They contain Polyvinylchloride as a softener so that they don't crack when bent or folded in half. This can leech out over time (mine haven't yet) and react with the metal in the coin. I display my large metals on a velvet board or tray and just dust the off now and then,

Paul M. likes this.
  9. OdedPaz

OdedPaz Elongated Designer&Roller

I put them in these trays... Tray.jpg

Chris B, Curtisimo and Paul M. like this.
  10. doug444

Thought of one more possibility, and it "may" be what OdedPaz is showing above. It's a 2-piece box designed to display arrowheads and other relatively thin artifacts; they're called Riker Mounts, and eBay has plenty of them. Don't know about sizes, etc.

Paul M. likes this.
  11. Paul M.

What kind of slabs are those? I think that's only a 41mm piece, right? A 75mm medal would laugh at that. :p

12. Paul M.

I'll have to check it out, but I kind of doubt it will hold a medal of the size and thickness I'm looking at.

13. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

yes , it's only 41 mm but I have purchased up to 45 mm from him. As far as 75 mm you may have to have Capitol Plastic or someone like that make one for you.

Paul M. likes this.
  14. doug444

Paul, take a few minutes and look at Riker Mounts on eBay. I've seen some 8 x 10 inches, big enough to hold 4 or 5 big medals with a common theme or origin. The best ones have real glass on top, no plastic to get cloudy or distorted.

Paul M. likes this.
  15. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

That looks an aweful lot like a legitimate NGC slab. If someone decided to get creative with a printer I'm not sure most people on eBay could tell the difference :-/. MS70s for all lol jk

Paul M. and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  16. OdedPaz

OdedPaz Elongated Designer&Roller

Paul M. likes this.
  17. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Sadly, there is nothing fancy to store them in. NGC used to make plastic storage containers for their larger multi-coin slabs but ever since they abandoned these types of slabs, they stopped making them. I just stack them up in my safe.

Paul M. likes this.
  18. Paul M.

19. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I could make some in my Garage,
    Glass Holders wood frame.

Paul M. likes this.
  20. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

I have a 90mm Medal in a NGC Slab.

Paul M. likes this.