Storing Ancient Coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Andrew McMenamin, Dec 27, 2019.

1. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

I also keep mine in Abafil trays. I keep their paper labels in an envelope and mark the envelope with the appropriate # that corresponds to the tray. You can order these beautiful trays directly from Italy on Ebay.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Andrew McMenamin

Andrew McMenamin Nerva You Mind

I looked at those - they're beautiful, but a little outside my budget. Very nice!

4. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Trays as shown in "post #16" are all well and good for museums
    under glass. Drop one those trays and watch one or more of the coins
    slide/roll under a heavy piece of furniture and you might have
    second thoughts. Your doctor/chiropractor might also have suggestions
    after a visit regarding picking up the coins and your back needing
    re-alignment. At my age, 62, safety flips in 10 inch double row boxes
    are my choice. The afore mentioned boxes fit real nice into my SDB
    per my insurance policy. I look at my treasures every 3-4 months
    in the banks security room.

5. eparch

eparch Well-Known Member

As a traditionalist, I prefer a mahogony cabinet. I have just won this
    one, about 150 years old, at a rural furniture sale for £250, which is much cheaper than a new one ! 50 trays, holding about 1,500 coins.
    upload_2019-12-28_8-58-13.png

upload_2019-12-28_8-58-57.png

6. Andrew McMenamin

I used to have two cabinets like the one pictured. I sold both before I left Ireland in the 70s to come here to the States for a better life. Yours is beautiful - enjoy it!

7. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

@eparch , that cabinet truly is a dream! I love it.

For the long term, I'd like to store my coins in a similar piece of furniture, but since I'll probably have to do another long distance move in the foreseeable future, getting a cabinet now would only create space and mobility problems.

Thus, I'm for now using SaFlips with handwritten tags, auction tickets, and old labels in the second pocket, and store them in old photographic slide boxes. The boxes are easy to transport and can be found very cheaply on eBay etc.

EB4CC889-C955-420A-ADCA-9B00DBA60548.jpeg

8. Andrew McMenamin

Nice. Dig the classical guitar - I do a little strumming too.

Orfew and Orielensis like this.
  9. Spargrodan

Spargrodan Well-Known Member

Has anyone any experience of these creators of cabinets and boxes for coins? I'm thinking of updating my old Lembit plastic cabinet to something more nice. Abafil is already mentioned in the thread but it would be interesting to hear if someone knows or have had the opportunity to compare the difference in quality between the different brands. Or maybe sitting on information about the brand that is good to know pros and cons.

Rob Davis
    http://robdaviscabinets.co.uk/

Alberto Zecchi
    http://www.albertozecchi.it/home_eng.html

Peter Nichols
    http://www.coincabinets.com/

Hades Creations
    http://hades-creations.com/fr/15-ec...aDYR-od3pGN6YzIouhAHpgUg2tWY2i8BdwTQhKF7HaK9s

Abafil
    https://www.abafil.com/?language=en

10. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

I have a Peter Nichols Crozier and about twenty five Abafil trays (I've an idea it may be 27 trays, but I'm not certain without counting), plus an attache-style case which holds a few of the Abafil trays.

I much prefer the Abafil trays. I loved the mahogany cabinet when I got it first, but the trays seemed to get a bit warped over time and they get a bit sticky and squeaky to remove and replace. If you collect thin coins, it's not bad - I had to remove some trays when I used it to store sestertii and other large coins (I moved them to Abafil trays). If you don't leave some headroom, you risk rubbing thick coins off the tray above. The Abafil case I have isn't great for carrying the trays as the coins can slide out - they have other cases for carrying the trays horizontally.
    I've got some parts of my collection still in the Nichols cabinet, but the parts I am currently interested in reside in Abafil luxury.

I have an older small (3 trays) Swann cabinet which is very well made, but so far I've put nothing in it. It's got room for 216 denarius-sized coins.

You may find cabinets in auctions - DNW often have them (the Swann cabinet came from DNW), Roma sometimes (the Abafil carrying case came from them).
    These can be a good buy, but postage can be a killer.

ATB,
    Aidan.

11. Spargrodan

Nice info, was thinking that the Nichols style cabinets would be a bit too thin for fatter coins. I didn't know that the trays warped tough that's a bummer. Thinking I'm aiming towards Abafil or Alberto Zecchi.

Might keep an eye for some second hand Swann cabinets as well, good advice. I like the look of the cabinets and would like to have one just standing in the home because they're beautiful.

12. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Cabinets are beautifull, but I would be worried about having all those valuable coins sitting out in the open in a magohany cabinet. Unless you had a bank vault in your home like Eliasburg, to be secure.

13. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I just use paper 2x2 envelopes and store then in cardboard 2x2 boxes. I’m boring

dougsmit and David Atherton like this.
  14. Exodus_gear

Exodus_gear Well-Known Member

That is really nice! Congrats on the buy and im a bit jealous hahaha

panzerman likes this.
  15. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I do as well, although I don't consider it boring, rather I'd call it sensibly economical.

dougsmit and Orfew like this.
  16. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

About two years ago I switched from flips in a binder to Lighthouse coin boxes—essentially, trays. With 200 coins or so, trays still make sense for me.
    234C4EB2-38F7-42C2-B41D-B500B116E8DB.jpeg

17. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

A beautiful view!

Gavin Richardson likes this.
  18. Spargrodan

Valid point, that's always a problem but my collection is not that big yet so I'll take that problem when it comes.

19. Dafydd

Dafydd Well-Known Member

I use Abafil trays or some similar trays and I make labels on non-acid precut round labels for underneath the coin. There is only one problem with single trays that I found, and that is I once tipped a couple of them at an angle and the coins all slipped out of their inserts and I had to spend hours re-attributing them. This doesn't happen with the cases. I'm very impressed with Deacon Ray's labels!

20. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I've always stored my collection of coins and historical medals -- whether British, ancient, or anything else -- in stackable Lindner and Lighthouse trays, with different numbers of compartments and different thicknesses to hold different sizes. (The two brands are interchangeable for stacking purposes.) At one point, my British collection filled 30 trays! Most are empty now, after I sold the majority of the collection, although I did keep a few trays full of coins and medals I couldn't bear to part with.

As I mentioned elsewhere, although I've been actively collecting ancient coins for a couple of years now, my collection is still quite small -- extremely tiny compared to most of you as far as I can tell! -- and only takes up most of one 80-compartment tray, plus about 25% of a 48-compartment tray. Recently, because I enjoy looking at the coins so much (just as I enjoy looking at my antiquities collection), I've kept the two trays out on display on a table in my living room, inside their cases, in a couple of acrylic slant-back book easels I bought on Amazon for less than $15 each. Inside their cases, and at the angle at which they're held in the easels, there's no danger of the coins falling out of their compartments. And it's a simple task to take down the trays and move coins around to make room for new ones. Or to put the trays away entirely if anyone comes into my apartment other than my son and close friends.

These two photos should give an idea of what the display looks like, even if you can't necessarily see the individual coins very well.

Coin Tray 1C.jpg
    Coin Tray 2.jpg

The coins are in chronological order -- first Greek, then Roman Republic, then coins of the Empire (by emperor and/or empress if the exact date is unknown.) Underneath each coin, I place a small tag with basic identifying information -- either a round one I type on the computer and then print out, or a reduced version of the descriptive insert that came with the coin. (I'm a little behind, so not every coin has a tag or label under it yet.) There's enough information on each tag or label to refer to the appropriate entry in the catalog I keep, with much more detailed information for each coin. For example, here are the first 25 entries in the catalog (the number of each coin always changes when I buy a new coin and insert the description in the catalogue, so I don't put those numbers on the tag):

1. Attica, Athens AR Tetradrachm, 449-413 BCE, Obv. Head of Athena right / Rev. Owl (w/test cut), Seaby 2526. 25 mm., 16.79 g.

2. Thrace, Istros. 400-350 BCE. AR Drachm. Obv. Two facing male heads, one inverted / Rev: Sea eagle on dolphin, globule under eagle’s tail. SNG.BM.249. 19 mm., 5.36 g. Near Mint.

3. Corinth AR Stater. Circa 375-345 BC. Obv: Pegasos flying left, Q below / Rev: Helmeted head of Athena left; behind, N and Ares standing right, holding shield and spear. Pegasi 376; Ravel 1056; BCD Corinth 121; SNG Copenhagen 121. 21mm, 8.46 g., 6h. gVF/VF, Ex Roma Numismatics 9.

4. Macedon, Alexander III (under Philip III Arrhidaeus), AR Drachm, Miletos mint, 323-319 BCE. Obv. Head of Herakles to right, wearing lion skin headdress/ Rev. Zeus seated left on throne, holding long scepter in left hand and eagle standing right with closed wings in his right hand. Price 2121, Mueller 847 (KH monogram in left field). 16 mm., 4.21 g. Ex: Harmer Rooke Numismatists, Ltd., Feb. 1986.

5. Tarentum, Calabria. AR Nomos (didrachm), ca. 302-280 BC. Magistrates Sa.., Arethon and Cas-. Obv. Youth on horseback right, crowning horse with wreath; magistrates' names: ΣA to left and AΡE/ΘΩN in two lines below/ Rev. TAΡAΣ, Phalanthos astride dolphin left, holding tripod, CAΣ below. Vlasto 666 ; Rutter, HN Italy 957; SNG ANS 1046. 23 mm., 7.86 g.

6. Roman Republic, Ti. Veturius, AR Denarius 137 BCE. Obv. Helmeted Mars R., TI. VET (monogrammed) and X behind head. / Rev. youth w/pig between 2 soldiers, ROMA above. RSC I Veturia 1, Crawford 234/1, Sear RCV I - 111. 18 mm., 3.8 g.

7. Roman Republic, M Fovri L.f. Philus, AR Denarius 119 BCE. Obv. Laureate head of Janus, M•FOVRI•L•F around / Rev. Roma with Corinthian helmet standing left holding scepter, crowning trophy surmounted by helmet and flanked by carnyx and shield on each side, Gallic arms around; star above, ROMA to right, PHLI in exergue. RSC I Furia 18 (ill.), Crawford 281/1, Sydenham 529, Sear RCV I 156 (ill.). 20.13 mm., 3.66 g.

8. Roman Republic, M. Sergius Silus, AR Denarius 116-115 BCE. Obv. Helmeted head of Roma right; EX S C before, ROMA and X with cross-bar (monogram for XVI [re-tariffed den. value of 16 copper asses]) behind / Rev. Horseman galloping left, holding sword and severed head of Gallic barbarian in left hand; Q below horse’s front legs and M SERGI/SILVS below. RSC I Sergia 1a (ill.), Crawford 286/1; Sydenham 544, Sear RCV I 163 (ill.). 18 mm., 3.82 g.

9. Roman Republic, L. Thorius Balbus, AR Denarius, 105 BCE. Obv. Head of Juno Sospita R., “ISMR” [Iunonis Sospitae Magnae Reginae] / Rev. Bull Charging Right, A above, “L. THORIUS BALBUS.” RSC I Thoria 1, Crawford 316/1, Sear RCV I 192. 20.11 mm., 3.85 g.

10. Roman Republic, Q. Thermus M.f., AR Denarius 103 BCE. Obv. Head of Mars left with crested, plumed helmet/ Rev. Roman soldier advancing right, fighting with uplifted sword a barbarian soldier before him, while protecting with shield a fallen comrade at his feet, Q THERM.MF. in exergue (THE and MF in monograms). RSC I Minucia [Q. Minucius Rufus] 19 (ill.), Crawford 319/1, Sear RCV I 198 (ill.), Sydenham 592.19.4 mm., 3.97 g.

11. Roman Republic, L. Calpurnius Piso Frugi, AR Denarius, 90 BCE. Obv. Head of Apollo R. (H, F) / Rev. Horseman galloping R. w/palm frond (G, H), “L. PISO FRUGI.” RSC I Calpurnia 11, Crawford 340/1, Sydenham 663-670, Sear RCV I 235/1. 17 mm., 4.02 g.

12. Roman Republic. Q. Titius, AR Denarius, Rome 90 BCE. Obv. Head of Mutinus Titius [Priapus] R. w/beard & winged diadem / Rev. Pegasus springing R., “Q TITI” on tablet below. RSC I Titia 1, Crawford 341/1, Sear RCV I 238. 18.5 mm., 3.8 g.

13. Roman Republic, L. Procilius L.f., AR Denarius, 80 BCE. Obv. Laureate head of Jupiter R., S C behind/ Rev. Juno Sospita advancing R., holding shield in left hand and hurling spear with right hand; snake before; behind, L. PROCILI/F downwards. RSC I Procilia 1 (ill.), Crawford 379/1, Sydenham 771, Sear RCV I 306 (ill.). 19.5 mm., 3.6 g.

14. Roman Republic. C. Poblicius Q.f. AR Serrate Denarius, 80 BCE. Obverse: Head of Roma right, wearing helmet decorated with grain ears; ROMA behind / Rev: C•POBLICI•Q•F; Hercules standing left, strangling the Nemean Lion; bow and quiver to left, club below. Crawford 380/1; RSC I Poblicia 9; Sydenham 768. 20.13 mm., 3.84 g.

15. Roman Republic, L Lucretius Trio, 76 BCE, AR Denarius. Obv. Laureate head of Neptune right, XXXIII above and trident behind/ Rev. Cupid (or Infant Genius) on dolphin right; L LVCRETIVS TRIO. Crawford 390/2, Sydenham 784, RSC I Lucretia 3.19 mm., 3.9 g.

16. Roman Republic, C. Postumius, AR Denarius, Rome 74 BCE. Obv. Bust of Diana R. w/ bow and quiver/ Rev. Hound running R., hunting spear below, “C POSTUMI TA” in exergue. RSC I Postumia 9, Crawford 394/1, Sear RCV I 330. 18 mm., 3.83 g.

17. Roman Republic, C. Hosidius C.f. Geta, AR Denarius 68 BCE. Obv. Diademed and draped bust of Diana R., bow and quiver over shoulder, GETA before, III VIR behind/ Rev. Wild boar of Calydon r., pierced in shoulder by spear and attacked by hound beneath, C. HOSIDI C F in exergue. RSC I Hosidia 1 (ill.), Crawford 407/2, Sydenham 903, Sear RCV I 346 (ill.). 18 mm., 3.91 g.

18. Augustus AR Denarius. Colonia Patricia, 19 BCE. Obv. CAESAR AVGVSTVS, bare head right / Rev: SIGNIS RECEPTIS and SP QR, above and below standard and aquila flanking shield incribed CL V. RIC I 86, RSC I 286. 18mm, 3.8 g. (The Senate awarded Augustus the 'shield of valour' (clipeus virtutis) for recovering the standards lost to the Parthians by Crassus.)

19. Augustus, Æ As Rome, 11-12 AD. Obv: IMP CAESAR DIVI F AVGVSTVS IMP XX Bare head of Augustus to left / Rev: PONTIF MAXIM TRIBVN POT XXXIIII around large S•C. RIC I 471, BMCRE 275, Cohen 226. 27 mm., 9.98 g, 7 h. Brown surfaces with some green patina. Ex: Nomos, Obolos 11 (December 8, 2018), lot #489.

20. Tiberius AR Denarius, c. AD 18-35, Lugdunum (Lyons) Mint, “Tribute Penny.” Obv. TI CAESAR DIVI AVG AVGVSTVS, Laureate head right/ Rev. PONTIF MAXIM, Livia, as Pax, holding long sceptre & olive branch, seated right on throne with ornate legs, single line below. RIC I 30, RSC II 16a, Sear RCV I 1763, Giard Lyon, group 4, 150. 19 m., 3.82 g. Ex: JMB collection; Ex: Tom Cederlind Sale 86 (1989), 305; Ex: Kirk Davis, Cat # 72, Fall 2018, Lot 80.

21. Claudius I AE As, AD 42-54, Spanish Mint. Obv. TI CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG P M TR P IMP, Bare head left / Rev. Minerva advancing right, brandishing spear & holding shield, S C. RIC I 116, Sear RCV I 1862, BMCRE 206. 26.7 mm., 8.99 g.

22. Nero AR Denarius, Obv. Laureate head right, IMP CAESAR AVG P P/ Rev. Salus seated, holding patera, SALVS in exergue. RIC I 71, RSC II 316. 19 mm., 3.3 g.

23. Vitellius AR Denarius 69 AD, Obv. Laureate head right, A VITELLIVS GERMAN IMP TRP/ Rev. Jupiter seated left holding a scepter and Victory left, IVPPITER VICTOR. RIC I 75, RSC II 44, Sear RCV I 2197, BMCRE 8. 19.5 mm., 2.77 g.

24. Vespasian AR Denarius 74 AD; Obv. Laureate head right, IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG / Rev. Vespasian seated right in curule chair, PON MAX TR P COS V. RIC II-1 702 (2007 ed.), old RIC II 177 (1926 ed.), RSC II 364, BMCRE 136. 19.1 mm., 3.432 g.

25. Titus Caesar AR Denarius 77-79 AD, Obv.: Laureate bust right, T CAESAR VESPASIANVS / Rev. Annona seated left, ANNONA AVG. RIC II-1 972V (2007 ed.), old RIC II 218 (1926 ed.), RSC II 17 (ill.), Sear RCV I - 2436 (ill.), BMCRE 319. 18.55 mm., 3.01 g.

In turn, in a large 3-ring binder, in the same order as in the trays and the catalogue, I keep copies of all receipts, invoices, and sellers' descriptions and photos of the coins (which I always print out when I buy a coin on the Internet, in addition to saving copies on my hard drive). It's always easy to insert new documentation in the appropriate place in the binder when I make a purchase.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    Curtisimo, BenSi, Shea19 and 7 others like this.
  21. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I respectfully request that nobody send me any more messages asking if I want to sell any of the coins in these two photos. The answer is no; that definitely wasn't the reason I posted the photos. In case I didn't make it sufficiently clear, I'm an active collector of ancient coins, not a seller, and I don't anticipate that changing anytime in the foreseeable future. In fact, I hope I'm never in a financial position again where I have to sell. Thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted