Storing Ancient Coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Andrew McMenamin, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Andrew McMenamin

Andrew McMenamin Nerva You Mind

Greetings,

I was wondering how most folks store their ancient Roman and Greek coin collections. I use 2X2s, flat-stapled in 20 pocket pages, inside of a 3 ring binder. I also store my other collections, Irish, British, US and world the same way. So far I've never had any problems, but I was just wondering how other folks store their coins.

BTW - my most recent acquisition:

Thrace, Hadrianopolis; Pseudo-autonomous Issue; Bronze Æ, Æ16, 1.45, Yorkova Hadrianopolis 711, 181-192AD
    OBV: Head of bearded Heracles r; TON KTICTHN
    REV: Two Erotes struggling to lift the club of Heracles; AΔPIANOΠOΛEITΩN.

Cheers, Andrew

Attached Files:

Ryro, Orielensis, tibor and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Just to speed up some answers for you, @Andrew McMenamin , perhaps you use the SEARCH function within the Ancients Forum. There have been SEVERAL threads posted about Ancient Coin Storage that might help you.

Welcome to Ancients!

4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Welcome to the Ancients section :). As @Alegandron said, there are tons of similar threads on CoinTalk, some of which are quite recent. You'll find a multitude of sensible and creative ways to store your ancient coins... and none of them involve cardboard 2x2s with staples :D.

Seriously, I don't think any non-newbie ancient coin collector uses that method. Staples mean you can't remove the coin from its holder at will. Staples also tend to cause accidental damage when you do remove the coin from its holder.

While on the Ancients board, type "storage" into the search window. Other key words might bring up some other interesting related threads: "display", "flips", "paper", etc.

I love that Hadrianopolis! If you want other people to admire the images, it is best to show them full-sized in the thread because clicking on thumbnails takes time and with the high volume of threads and posts, many people won't bother to enlarge them.

zumbly, Orfew, dougsmit and 5 others like this.
  5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I agree with the comments above. There are several threads on this topic. My own personal perspective is to use 2x2 paper envelopes. Plastic flips tend to crack over time. The coins also can easily be removed and examined and put back into their envelope.

6. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Welcome!
    I use SAFLIPS, leather coin binders. IMG_1150.JPG IMG_1151.JPG IMG_1152.JPG IMG_0633.JPG IMG_0634.JPG

Curtisimo, Xodus, Andres2 and 18 others like this.
  7. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Welcome to the Ancients Forum, @Andrew McMenamin ! We’re always glad to have new members. I’m currently storing my coins in 2 by 2 archival flips. I was considering acid free paper envelopes but have decided to go this way because much of the fun for me is creating the labels.

FLIPS_LINE_UP_FRONT.jpg

FLIPS_LINE_UP.jpg

Curtisimo, Dafydd, Ryro and 24 others like this.
  8. Alegandron

Gorgeous. Simple. Impactful.
    Well done.

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I agree with TIF regarding the photo and add it is great to have a beginner to the list that can make a decent photo. You will find it helps others help you a great deal. Regarding storage, I recently changed from trays to paper envelopes because of the number of coins I have now. Trays are great for a collection of 30 or 300 but a bit unwieldy for 3000. There is no right answer for the question. Select what fits you. I make a point of looking at every coin at least once a year but having good photos makes clear holders a lot less important. Welcome. Ask questions as you wish; answer questions as you are able.

10. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

I went for trays after trying flips in albums. Much better, just don't drop them.

I would never use those staples. Half the fun of ancients is being able to handle them, without gloves etc.

Obviously don't eat chips/chrisps (UK) without washing your hands first!

11. Alegandron

I am rethinking my whole coin storage strategy...

Bubba-Wrap!
    upload_2019-12-27_16-40-47.png
    upload_2019-12-27_16-41-20.png upload_2019-12-27_16-41-29.png

12. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

I just moved my collection from pvc free flips to paper 2x2 envelops, who knows if they'll stay there for long.

13. Andrew McMenamin

Andrew McMenamin Nerva You Mind

Wow - I'm 60 and have been collecting since I was ten, and that's the first time anyone called me a newbie. Gee - thanks.

14. Pishpash

Depends upon how long you have been collecting ancients. So many people who have collected "modern" coins think that ancients should be handled with gloves or entombed in plastic slabs.

philologus_1 and Deacon Ray like this.
  15. Pishpash

No, that is a stress buster when popped.

Alegandron likes this.
  16. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I misunderstood your post and thought you were new to ancients because cardboard and staples are a staple of modern collecting :).

zumbly, Alegandron and Deacon Ray like this.
  17. Michael Stolt

Michael Stolt Well-Known Member

18. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

There was a time a lot of ancients were kept in stapled holders but bad experiences made most of us abandon them. I don't know when they invented plastic flips and when they came out with safety flips but I never liked them either.

Andrew McMenamin likes this.
  19. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Abafil trays here too. They're just great for me

Q

Nicholas Molinari likes this.
  20. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Cheap and simple: paper envelopes. Why complicate things?

21. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I have mine mostly in 2x2 flips, but I am thinking of changing to paper envelopes maybe after the holidays are over and done.

Andrew McMenamin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted