Storage/Organization Question: Coins in original government packaging.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Ricardo Vales, Jul 29, 2021.

1. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

I haven't bought from the mint this year, the pricing just turned me completely off of just about any product. I "might" go for that two reverse proof silver eagle set this year though, 21XJ , but that's going to be depending on pricing and what the mintage is. Everything else I've seen from them this year I feel is way over priced for what it is, like Etsy overpriced. hahaha truth be told I see a lot of interesting items the mint had for offer this year that caught my eye, and the pricing has shut me down every time. I wonder what they will charge for this years mint set.... last years $25.25 was my line. this year will have even less quarters to it.

Inspector43 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I have a few things I want this year. I have grandchild number 14 due in November. I have given all of them certain things at birth.

John Burgess likes this.
  4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

While I can't say it with certainty, the nickel you posted a pic of appears to have already been permanently damaged by the toning - meaning the toning/corrosion has eaten into the surface of the coin. You could use coin dip and remove the black but what you'll see when you do is a pitted and corroded surface - permanently damaged in other words. And no, there is nothing that can be done to fix it.

The thing is, experience is an absolute must when using coin dip. So don't ever try unless you know what you're doing. And using coin dip is always a crap shoot because you never know what you're gonna see once you remove what you're trying to get off the coin. In other words, irreparable damage may have already been done. But, you don't know that until you do it. And if done correctly, proper dipping can make a coin beautiful again. And sometimes, significantly increase the value of the coin.

As for opening the cases, that's been explained by others already.

expat and Inspector43 like this.
  5. GDJMSP

No, acetone won't do anything for those coins. It's true it won't hurt anything, but in reality it's a waste of time to ever try.

Acetone is great for doing some things but there is a very limited list of things it can do !

Again, there are literally hundreds of posts on this subject. I urge you, and everybody else who has questions, to search for them and read them.

MS70 is great at removing haze from coins, but that's really about all it's good for. And you DO NOT want to use it on copper ! MS70 will turn copper a bluish or purplish color - it is infamous for doing this ! Other coins, fine, but not on copper.

As for E-Z-Est - you absolutely MUST know what you are doing to use this ! If you do not, it is extremely easy to permanently damage the coins ! So either have somebody teach you, in person, how to use it properly, or learn yourself the hard way and it takes some doing that way, but it can be done. But don't try it on any coin you care about - until you do know what you're doing.

Not a good idea for the reason I stated above.

Inspector43 likes this.
  6. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

@GDJMSP Thanks for all that feedback. I will try the MS70 on some with the haze. That is my only issue. I don't have any cleaning in mind.

7. GDJMSP

Well, I think I know what ya mean, but using MS70 is, by definition, cleaning. But it is proper cleaning when done correctly.

Please practice on some coins you don't care about first. And, always make sure you rinse thoroughly in distilled water, and then properly dry, all coins you use it on.

Inspector43 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted