Storage/Organization Question: Coins in original government packaging.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Ricardo Vales, Jul 29, 2021.

1. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

How do you access the plastic case without damaging the 5 coins and the Mint token

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Acetone, or possibly other solvents to remove any contaminants that may be damaging the surfaces.

tibor and Inspector43 like this.
  4. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

My 2007 Silver proof set always triggers me every time I look at the 1999-2008 sets. I get the 2009 set just being red and a bit different for the territories but, then they go and screw up with the 2010 set, and then the other state parks....
    I really hate this about the mint....... doing a series and then not making the packaging uniform for the series.

Inspector43 likes this.
  5. Jaelus

I don't care about the packaging if I'm removing it. If it's damaging the coins, it's just a type of trash. I twist the case back and forth until it breaks the seal. If it's a soft plastic holder I just cut it open.

6. John Burgess

for the American innovation dollar coins a CD rack seems to work nicely.

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I have 1989 Purple pack mint proof set in the hard plastic case. The coins are all as exampled below. I guess it is too late for anything to be done now. Or is it?
    How would one remove them from the sealed case?

If you feel around the edge of the packaging, 'Pat, you'll feel a raised seam. Take a sharp pen-knife and work your way into that seam with the knife edge. Be careful....once you gain some purchase you can switch over to a small screwdriver and gradually work your way around the packaging. I don't know if the mint 'sonically' sealed these sets but every time I open one of these sets the plastic 'pops' and splinters......be extremely careful for your own sake as well as the coins packaged within........hope that helps. :)

Inspector43, love old coins and expat like this.
  8. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Look at the coins shown by @expat in post #18 of this thread. Will acetone correct that without damage? I have several with similar conditions.

expat likes this.
  9. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Thanks for that, I have it open without even a splinter anywhere, just lucky I guess. Now I am waiting to hear an answer about acetone on proofs, but in the meantime I have transferred them to airtites.

green18 likes this.
  10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

It quite possibly can help, but I've had no success with 'brown box' Ikes.

The acetone will not harm the coin.

expat and Inspector43 like this.
  11. Inspector43

Sometimes the boxes are oriented different ways year to year. Different colors for year to year. Dark blue or dark red for the same product. Even the printing on the same year. I have several 2006 Burnished ASE boxes with different size type used. The ATB quarters from the mint came in 3 different capsule sizes and types. I had a very difficult time putting them in CAPS album pages. Trying to come up with a uniform storage or presentation scheme is difficult.

expat likes this.
  12. Jaelus

Acetone won't hurt it, but that is tougher to remove from copper-nickel without damage. For silver proofs with haze, I would use MS70.

tibor and Inspector43 like this.
  13. Ricardo Vales

Ricardo Vales Member

Acetone is inert and will not harm your coins, but make sure it is 100% acetone. Do not use nail polish remover which contains additives. I have soaked coins for weeks with no issues. These are usually coins that have dirt or tar. I remove from the acetone then rinse with water and pat dry. Then either holder for storage or send in for grading. There are products like E-Z-EST and a few others which I can't remember off the top of my head that can be used as a quick dip. You would need to rinse thoroughly and pat dry. I use paper towels. Once I rinse the coin/coins I then place the coin/coins on paper towels I pat dry with another dry towel move the coin to yet another paper towel and pat the other side. Note: Leaving any water spots on the coin will look like a stain on a proof or UNC coin. I know some people use demineralized water, but I use plain running tap water with no ill effect. You will be amazed at the results. Acetone does not remove toning, but removes tar, dirt and other foreign mater. E-Z-EST will remove toning and will bring back that bright shine, but this can only be used as a quick dip. In my personal experience I have used one or the other or both in certain situations. FYI: Over dipping can cause damage to your coins, so use with caution. I don't claim to be an expert, but I never had any issues with the products mentioned (Acetone 100% and E-Z-EST).

Inspector43 likes this.
  14. Inspector43

Thanks @Ricardo Vales I ordered some MS 70 and may get some E-Z-EST also.

15. Ricardo Vales

Ricardo Vales Member

I appreciate all the answers I have received. I have been collecting more like hoarding coins for 47 years, so the reason for the initial question about the storage situation should be clear. Though I am thinning the herd little by little. I have been selling online for a few years on the big E**y, though it looks like I have not made a dent yet. Sometimes it is so hard to let go.

Inspector43 likes this.
  16. Ricardo Vales

Ricardo Vales Member

I have used MS-70 on older copper coins. I have no experience with it on any other coins.

Inspector43 likes this.
  17. Inspector43

Did you get the 2001 Capitol Visitor Center UNC and Proof Silver Dollars that came in just an Airtite, a COC and a small brown envelope?

John Burgess likes this.
  18. Inspector43

US Mint packaging at its best. The 2001 Uncirculated and Proof Silver Dollars came in a simple brown envelope with COC. If I remember correctly they said it was an experiment to reduce costs.
    Does anyone still have one? It might be rare.
    IMG_6219.JPG

19. John Burgess

No i didn't. I've been avoiding the commemorative field of numismatics my whole life. I just do coins and its kept me busy just on that so far. Hahaa.

Inspector43 likes this.
  20. Inspector43

Great. I quit commemoratives in 2018. Just too much junk at high cost. Actually, this is my last year of anything from the mint. I plan to stay busy sorting things for the kids and grandkids.

21. Jaelus

The problem with commemoratives is trying to be a completionist, not the commemoratives themselves. I find they are great if you only collect the commemoratives you like and ignore the rest. Just rid yourself of the concept of completing a set. It's not worth it when 95% of the coins are of no interest.

LakeEffect, tibor and Inspector43 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted