Storage for Peace and Morgan dollars

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by hinnelton, Feb 27, 2009.

1. hinnelton

hinnelton New Member

First, I would like to thank everyone for the very helpful advice on the possible grade of the coins I posted. I have learned a lot from you all already! I will probably post a trade dollar and bust half over the next few days, if y'all don't mind :)

My question for this post... What is the best way to store Morgan and Peace dollars? Right now, I have them either in mylar flips or cointainers. And I also have some in tubes, since I ran out of cointainers and those coins aren't the best of the lot.

Are cointainers and mylar flips a good place to store the good-condition coins in the short- to medium-term? As I mentioned in other posts, I plan to get a bunch of these slabbed at some point. You see, I have become one of those "gold bugs" who believes that gold and silver over the next few years will go parabolic and, thus, the price for all gold and silver coins will increase considerably. Interesingly I started buying what I believed to be numismatic grade coins for the investment potential, but along the way I have really fallen in love with them. I hope I am blazing the trail for others to discover this wonderful and, I think, woefully uncelebrated hobby!

I hope I can contribute to this forum with more answers than questions, but right now I know more about money and finance itself than coins :)

Thanks again all.

Terry

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

When I get large silver-dollar sized coins that I want to keep, I just put them in 2x2 holders. Some people find these hard to use, and I know they make larger ones, either 2.5 x 2.5 or 3 x 3. If you are really worried about condition, just buy individual airtite or kointain holders, or a hard plastic type of snap-tite.

4. raider34

raider34 Active Member

I would love to see the trade dollar.As for the coins the Flips should be fine, even the cardboard ones are alright just watch the staples. Also just as a precaution maybe wear some cotton gloves when handling all the coins.

5. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

You know, for as many years as I've been in numismatics (ahem), one of the few coins I've never owned has been a trade dollar. I'm sure I'll get one someday, but this is one of the few coins I've always been very scared to purchase, due to the ridiculous number of good counterfeits on the market. After a while, they all look fake. I believe there are more counterfeits than real ones.

6. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Many of them stayed in the U.S., even though the government's intent was to use them primarily for trade over-seas. According to this book I just read, they actually became a nuisance in the economy. Nobody wanted them. And some businesses on the west coast took advantage of their foreign employees by paying them in Trade dollars instead of normal dollars. Which most stores reluctantly accepted at a discount.

To remedy the problem, eventually the government decided to buy them back at slightly over face value. At which time anybody that could get their hands on them or who were hoarding them in anticipation of this action, gladly turned them back in for a slight profit and the mint melted them down.
    It's not a stretch to say there are more counterfeits than real ones now. I wouldn't buy one that wasn't at least slabbed. Even then, I don't anticipate ever buying one.

As for holders for Peace and Morgan dollars..... for basic circulated ones I love air-tites. For nice ones with luster remaining, I go with Intercept Shield 2x2's.

7. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

8. hinnelton

hinnelton New Member

I have a bunch of my better condition halves in clear snap-together holders (I am sure there is a name for these!). What makes the Intercept holders better? More airtight? More sturdy? They are definitely much more expensive than the run of the mill plastic holders.

I was in a coin / secondhand shop a few weeks ago, and they had a few counterfeit trade dollars. The proprietor was weighing them to satistfy to me (and himself I think since I was interested, if they were real) that they were fakes. They were indeed. I was curious how much counterfeits are worth - thought maybe they were rare? - but it appears that there are counterfeits are everywhere. They even had chop marks on them. Maybe those were counterfeit, too?

I will post a pic of my trade dollar. The toning is superb! Rainbow. But I have a feeling that the color won't really come through in the photos. I probably still need to do some work on my coin photography...

No concern that it's fake, but maybe I am wrong :(

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It is because they have an insert in them that prevents coins from toning.

10. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

For all larger coins instead of a 2x2 cardboard flip I use the clear plastic ones. The reason for me is there just is not enough room in a 2x2 cardboard one to properly close completely. And too with the plastic flips you can put one one each side or add a piece of paper with a description. Most are in those plastic pages for 20 of the 2x2's and then in a 3 ringed binder and then in a Zip Lock bag. I love those Zip Lock Bags. I'd put my cars in them if they made them larger.

11. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I'm not a fan. I find I have to touch the coin on the face to get it in the hole and it is easy to drop the coin when working with the holder.

Ruben

12. rzage

You don't have to touch the coin at all . Lay the coin down on a soft surface , bend the black insert push on coin and let go , if not all the way on push down on edges of the black insert . Not the best directions , ask Doug he'll tell you the easy way .
    Rusty:thumb:

13. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

it will fall of the table if you do histronics like that watch your box ;)

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You already did ;)

15. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

yeah and you then end up putting your thumb on the coin, or you fling it off the table out the window where it falls 3 stories. No thanks. It's just too risky and not only that, it is an ugly holder for display.

Ruben

16. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Cmon Ruben, they ain't that ugly.

[​IMG]

This is one of my very few raw coins

17. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

No? geez that is ugly. It looks like old vinal on the roof of my grandfathers Oldsmobile

Ruben

18. Lehigh96

LOL, hey Ruben, checkout my new contest, I think you will like it.

19. Lehigh96

FYI, If you win the Peace Dollar, I am going to send it to you in an Intercept Shield 2X2.

20. rzage

I think they're classy , well look at Rubens hat:D looks like a hobos hat;):D JK Ruben it ain't that bad . plus if you insist on pushing the coin in with your finger use a cotton glove .
    rzage:goofer:

21. Alfredo De la garza

Alfredo De la garza New Member

Hello how would i be able to tell the value of a 1878 cc morgan dollar?

Draft saved Draft deleted