Storage boxes for ASE's in their original mint packaging?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Bluenose, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Bluenose

Bluenose New Member

Anyone know of a good, ready-made, non-reactive, attractive storage box for ASE proofs and unc-W's in their mint packaging? Valley Coin says the mint set box would work, but I'm assuming that means you have to pack them in two rows. I'm looking for a more compact single-row box.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. walterallen

walterallen Coin Collector

4. Bluenose

Bluenose New Member

That's not what I meant, but wow, that is a beautiful case. I may have to get one of those. Thanks for pointing it out.

What I'm looking for is a storage box to hold ASE's in their original mint box. Just something that looks somewhat professional that I can store my collection in. Sorry to be confusing. I'm not the greatest at explaining these things sometimes.

BTW, the dimensions of the ASE box is 3.75" x 3".

Attached Files:

• PR04.JPG
      PR04.JPG
      File size:
      54.4 KB
      Views:
  5. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

To the original poster - they would fit nicely in the bottom of my fire proof safe. :) I did just unload all my gold and plantinum bullion eagles, but not my ASE's - so that was about 60-70 mint boxes. So I have plenty of room. :) As to the original question as far as I know you stack them in two rows in the mint box. I know a nice card board box would work the same.

Nice find Walter. I know CBH's would fit, but would they fit as snuggly as a silver eagle? I might have to get a couple of them out and compare sizes. I keep thinking about the lighthouse stuff cause you could get different size trays, but have not made up my mind.

6. walterallen

I understand. I had a complete collect of UNC and Proofs ASE's short the high dollar Proofs from the mid 90's. I kept them in this case and they displayed extremely well in it. I just keep the original cases and COA's stored. Unfortunately for me and my wife, we fell upon a financial hardship and I sold them all to recover. It was a blessing that we had them to sell so I'm not bitter about it. In fact I made a huge profit. In any case, I still have the storage/display case and I think I will use it to store my early commemorative collect when I start. I find them to be more exciting then the ASE's even though I still have a great love for them.

Good luck and Keep on Collecting!!!

Allen

7. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

How did you sell them - if you do not mind me asking? I have a complete set of PCGS 69's (PRDCAM and MS) and the dealer offered me around 1800 for both sets which include 2008's. Not sure if that was right or low - from dealer perspective not ebay perspective. By the way I do not plan on letting my mint purchased ASE's go.

8. walterallen

I sold them on e-bay. Most all sold to a few different buyers who were trying to out bid each other. It was quite exciting to watch. The real bidding didn't start until the last 10 minutes. I only had one buyer that must be on serious meds or something because they just about screwed up the hole thing when they requested to return one coin. In all the whole thing work out well.

IMHO selling coins to dealers is a loosing deal. They can't/won't give you what you want or would like to have, and rightly so they are in a "business" to sell not collect and must make a profit.

I wish I had them back. I enjoyed many many days looking, studying, grading them. I also was very proud to show them at coin club meetings. The case made doing that much more impressive.

Hope you find what you are looking for. Have you considered making a box the right dimensions you will need. Think about it.

Allen

9. Bluenose

Bluenose New Member

I'm sorry to hear you had to sell your collection. I know I'll never get rich collecting coins, but it's nice to know that--unlike my other interests like electronic gadgets and computers--I will be able to get some money back if I ever need to. Here's to your commemorative collection and whatever else catches your eye in the future.

10. Bluenose

Bluenose New Member

It's funny, but I have an old cardboard box sitting within arms reach of my computer here that just happened to hold the ASE box perfectly. It's just an absolute coincidence because the box has nothing to do with coins and it's been sitting in my office for a couple of years waiting to be thrown away. I need to find a few more because it will never hold a whole collection's worth of ASE boxes.

Now, my next question. Will standard corrugated cardboard harm coins? Do I need acid/sulfur free boxes for long-term storage?

11. jasemurphy

jasemurphy New Member

I am not sure but I think that standard corrugated cardboard can harm your coins and you should buy another secure storage box for your coins, bullion and other valuables. There are many companies which are offer safety boxes for long-term storage.

12. athrose

athrose Member

I agree. I have even seen concerns expressed about the harm the government package can do to coins. I think it was around the COA paper. I have removed all of my coins from their packaging and keep them in long term storage boxes.

13. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

"I agree. I have even seen concerns expressed about the harm the government package can do to coins"

A few years ago I became weary of government packaging taking up so much space so I
    started buying NGC/PCGS graded coins. Graded coins are easy to store and inventory. I should have made the switch years ago.
    Also most of my coins graded 70 have a significant increase in value on the same coin that is not graded.

14. Gimme_More_Coins

Gimme_More_Coins Active Member

I asked the Mint about their packaging and this is the reply that they sent:

Thank you for contacting the United States Mint.

We have not received reports of coin deterioration while being stored in their original packaging. The packaging is designed, manufactured, and assembled to protect the coins and to enhance their aesthetic appeal. The capsules are manufactured with specifications to not react with the coins; however they are not hermetically sealed to protect from every environmental element. To preserve the beauty of your coins, store them in a cool, dry place.

We appreciate your continued patronage and support.

Sincerely,
    United States Mint

Draft saved Draft deleted