Stop scratching slabs

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by stevereecy, Sep 22, 2020.

1. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

Is it possible to buff out the scratches and/or use Deet mosquito repellent like you do on weathered plastic headlight covers (vehicle detailer trick)?

Penny Luster likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TonkawaBill

TonkawaBill Well-Known Member

have been looking for these then forgetting. just ordered, thanks for sharing ... Bill

Penny Luster and runninghorse1 like this.
  4. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

I too have had slabs thrown across the counter at me at shows and observed them treated like so many hardware store washers in bins and boxes. For the most part, I won't consider a coin if the slab is too abused.

Here's an otherwise nice half dime being offered on eBay in what is probably the worst slab I have ever seen. The seller could have photographed it to minimize the scratching so at best we can assume honesty, at worst laziness. The fixed price is not even discounted to account for the damaged product.

I wonder if the slab was in this condition when CAC reviewed it. Does anyone know how CAC looks at this issue?

I wonder what it would cost a non-dealer collector to have this coin re-slabbed and re-CACed? $50? $75?

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg

Penny Luster likes this.
  5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

Why not slab the slab, the possibilities are endless.
    You could start a whole new industry of slabbing slabs.

You could give the original slab a grade before slabbing.
    Then send it off to CAC to confirm the slab is the correct grade.

Then so that outer slab does not get scratched you can slab that one in a larger slab.
    You could end up with slabs as big as houses covered in stickers confirming the grades of each interior slab.

Evan Saltis likes this.
  6. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

LOL! Yes, the situation can be ridiculous. Nevertheless, the slab (with or without a CAC sticker) is still part of the product. Some of us may not like that state of affairs but the market certainly says it is so. And I, for one, do not believe in tilting against windmills.

So, the question that I implied is still out there. Should there be a discount expected for severely damaged slabs?

Some dealers are increasingly using the flexible plastic sleeves to encase their slabs which I appreciate even though it does slow things down at the bourse table. A dealer who uses these is, in my opinion, demonstrating his concern for the product, customer, and the value of his stock.

7. stevereecy

stevereecy Collects Everything

The thing is when you handle raw coins you should have a cloth or velvet mat underneath your hands in case you drop the coin. If the same level of care was given to handling coins in slabs they would stay pristine and that would likely translate to extra profit for the dealers. I’m sorry but I’m more likely to buy a coin in a clean slab.

runninghorse1 likes this.
  8. stevereecy

stevereecy Collects Everything

Here’s a guy taking brand new slabs out of the box and then building a pyramid out of them. This is from YouTube video. 66D0E413-3969-4141-85C8-AD7F79EA3242.jpeg

9. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

THAT IS A NICE PRICE, FAIRLY CHEAP

10. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

Scratches drive me crazy. And it also is a negative when considering a purchase. I agree buy the coin not the plastic but, if you see an issue with the slab your less likely to even look at the coin. The thing about stickers put on slabs. I found the longer there on a slab the harder to get them off. In the past the stickers used by Heritage were extremely difficult to get off. I think they changed their stickers but, I learned to remove them as soon as I receive a coin from them.

11. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Scratches not a problem but finger marks I just can't resist looking at em once in a while well at least one a day it never gets old.

12. JCKTJK

JCKTJK Well-Known Member

$4.20 shipping, i ordered 200, checked Ebay and with free shipping for 200 would be $10.94 so about a $3 savings even with shipping!

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  13. JCKTJK

JCKTJK Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever tried a product called Slab Renew? www.slabrenew.com or any other similar products?

Goo Gone works for stubborn sticker and tape residue!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted