Stop Collecting Presidential Dollar Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jwa_jwa_jwa, May 26, 2011.

?

Is it a good idea to collect the Prez coins to sell in a complete series collection?

1. Yes

33.9%
  2. No

66.1%
  1. jwa_jwa_jwa

jwa_jwa_jwa Senior Member

I have been collecting the presidential dollars since 2007. I've either got a 250 coin mint bag, mint roll or bank roll for every single president. Where I have obtained bank rolls, the fewest number of bank rolls I have is 6.

It's now 4 years later and I'm starting to get 'collection exhaustion'. We still have another 5 years before the series ends and I'm seriously considering not collecting the series anymore.

What was my plan all along? I was willing to bet there would be more than one buyer out there who would want to buy an entire collection of Presidential coins for their kids, grandkids, etc.

It has been said over and over that the 'individual' dollars have lost value since 2007 and there are so many made that they are not ever going to have any value above their issue price; point well taken.

However, is the idea of looking to sell them in collections a good one or a loser?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Copper Head

Copper Head Active Member

I can't see sets of them having much, if any, of a premium. You might end up better selling the rolls at some point. Then again, a lot can happen and you may be on to something.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Do you have both mintmarks for each President? If so, keep buying all of the issues, and when the program has ended, sell them all to Coin Vault at 4x face.

Chris

5. jwa_jwa_jwa

jwa_jwa_jwa Senior Member

No I stopped collecting both mint marks because they were just too hard to find and to try to keep up the collection.

6. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I don't see these coins ever having any value. They are being produced in huge numbers...I think you will find your sets aren't worth much. If you enjoy the coins then collection them...but don't expect to sell them for big money when the series ends.

7. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I would say complete what you started. You never know if a coin in a series will be a winner, so if you are betting that one or more of these issues will be valuable you would be best to keep buying. I am betting many are in your shoes with this series as well as the gold spouse coins. I think these boring issues will more likely to be the better coins to have in the future.

8. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

I just checked complete listings on ebay for "presidential dollar roll set."

There are several year sets (8 rolls) that have sold for $251.83 +$6.95 shipping on BIN listings. After fees, he made a small profit.

9. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I'm pretty much in the same situation as you but have fallen off track.

The primary goal was getting in on the ground floor and having material available to build collections but unfortunately, most interest in Presidential Dollars has simply gone flat! As such, one can only question what in the heck we were thinking.

Badically, coin collecting is a gamble whenever a new series of coins is involved primarily because collectibility has as much to do with availability as anything else.

For example, if you consistently buy rolls as they become available from the US Mint, then you have them. If for whatever reason the US Mint cuts short the production, it may be possible to have a very low mintage which could excalate into large collectible prices. Thats the gamble.

The risk is in that NOT happening and then your stuck woth what to do with all those coins?

I'd advise you to re-evaluate what it is you are doing and then make a decision. At the very minimum, each roll you collect at least is worth face value (unless you purchased from the Mint).

I, personally, have stopped purchasing rolls and instead am focusing on other things.

10. andrew289

andrew289 Senior Analyst

Keep the faith and keep on collecting like you have been. Your efforts will be rewarded in the end. There will be many who drop off along the way who lack the stamina and intestinal fortitude to see this through. As a result, you will reap the rewards for finishing what you started.

Keep on collecting!

11. afox

afox sometime collector Supporter

I agree that collecting over time can be exhausting. I do think that you will recover your costs - if you are careful. You will be able to sell. There will be a market. You just have to find the buyers. That's tough sometimes.

I agree with everything stated by 19Lyds.

I am struggling with the same thoughts you are having. I've been buying the ATB quarters. The mint increased the price recently for the two roll set. $40 (plus shipping) for $20 in quarters. That's steep. I'm currently re-evaluating.

Bottom line - if you're enjoying it, keep doing it!

12. wgpjr

wgpjr Collector

I had saved a few rolls, but I spent them at a local auction a few weeks ago. Ended up getting some great coins that was well worth getting rid of these presidential rolls that will never amount to anything above their face value in my lifetime.

That being said, I still collect the series. I have a folder that I collect from circulation (and the occasional few I had to buy, usually a D mintmark) and I collect NGC MS65s P&D and PF69 S of each president. In those grades, you can get them dirt cheap off ebay.

13. ML94539

ML94539 Senior Member

I am trying to collect the ones with missing edge lettering, there seem to be many of them.

14. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

If all the coins are losers... who is going to buy a complete collection of losers?

15. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

There were many who though the same way regarding the States' Quarters series. Now there are thousands of people who have full year sets or full mint/year sets, and tons of rolls or bags, all of which are essentially worth face value. The lowest mintage dollar coin so far from one mint is around 37 million (about 17% of the lowest minted Quarter) but still far from a rare coin.

Since no living person can appear on US coinage, the series will end with Nixon and Ford in 2016, unless Carter, Clinton, one or both of the Bushes or Obama, bite the big one by then. After that, I guess the series will continue, but be on hold until another president becomes available.

To me, the return just isn't worth the effort.

16. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

I am collecting a P&D for each one in an album. I really like this and will continue as I think it is cool to have the whole set and a nice history lesson to boot. I am getting the D at face value then trade with a CT member for the P. He wants 2, so with the extra set I don't put in my album, I sell it as a set at my coin club for a small premium to help offset the cost of the postage to get the P. So, for a little over face, I will put together this whole set. :)

I also have one bank roll from each prez......this is one that I am reevaluating. It will take $1000 or more to build a whole set of these, and I do not believe they will appreciate much at all. There are several reasons for this including the fact that since they don't circulate, there will be gobs of them in MS condition in the future. I do think that I can make a small premium on Ebay for a complete set, but is it worth it? I may be selling them soon because I already have $450 in them and my budget is limited....

17. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

does reagan not get to appear in the series?

18. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

It's funny to me how some of you folks buy rolls and bags of these things and call it collecting. To me that's speculating, and anytime you speculate you take a chance. Sometimes ya win, sometimes ya lose. The series for now seems to be a loser, but down the road, who knows? I've collected 'em in the form of mint and proof sets, one album, and one roll of each pres. from each mint. That alone makes for quite a space taker upper. The freakin' roll box weighs a ton so I hesitate to think what you guys who collect bags and rolls do with these things. :)

19. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Nah, he came back from the dead and started doing Billy Mays impersonations......

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It depends on whether or not Carter dies by 2014. If he doesn't then he will not be eligible for his dollar since he will not have been dead for two years when his turn comes, and the mint is interpreting the law in the sense that the President must be honored in the order in which they served. That means no skipping over one. So at the moment they do not have Reagan on the schedule for production.

No, the law states that once the last eligible president has been honored the series ENDS. Personally I don't like that. If you are going to have a coin that honors the president it should honor ALL of them. Yes that means a never ending open ended series but so be it.

As to whether or not it is a good idea to hoard rolls to sell sets once the series ends, Look at the state quarters for a precedent. There too people hoarded rolls of the coins for eleven years to make up sets. Go price 56 and 112 coin sets and see how much they are making. Not much. And you will have more than four times as much money tied up in the coins. Then factor in time value of money, and you will probably decide it is pretty much a break even or even a losing proposition.

21. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

thank you for the info. you learn something new everyday!

Draft saved Draft deleted