Stone mountain half dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mitsuman, May 24, 2017.

1. Mitsuman

Mitsuman New Member

Just wanted to post my stone mountain half dollar that i recently purchased, and see what yall thought on the grade of it. I know its not great, but i got it for what i think is a good price. Picture_20172524062519.jpg Picture_20172524062509.jpg

Seba79, asheland, dwhiz and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That is arguably my favorite classic commemorative.

4. Mitsuman

Mitsuman New Member

I got it for 25 bucks

jtlee321, mac266, LuxUnit and 2 others like this.
  5. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Not bad at all. I got one a while back. It's full of history, most of it controversial to this day.

silencer and eddiespin like this.
  6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Nice pickup and at a decent price. XF-45, but that's an humble opine. :)

Ya might want to cinch down those staples so ya don't scratch up other coins when ya stow this baby. :)

7. Mitsuman

Mitsuman New Member

I live 5 mins away from the mountain, wanted this coin as a kid and finally found it locally. Im gonna move the coin to a self sealing flip

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

The old man had one when I was a kid, and when I returned to the hobby back in 2000, it was one of the first commems I bought. :)

Stevearino likes this.
  9. Mitsuman

Mitsuman New Member

My grandfather had one when i was younger. Always been my favorite commem. Walked in my local shop for mor flips, and there it was. They had one that looked better but out of my budget this month. I will return for it next month, hopefully itll still be there.

ddddd likes this.
  10. ddddd

ddddd Member

Nice example! In my opinion, it's a high XF and maybe even an AU on a good day.

11. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Your last statement is so true......I gave a dealer I know a royal blasting verbally using words that cannot be used here....due to the fact he doesn't take the time to take a pair of needle nose pliers and mash down the staples .
    I purchased a BU 1874 US Three cent nickel.
    It was a coin that made you say wow! Until the other coin purchased from him put a huge scratch across the coin!
    ** it only takes a few seconds to smash a staple don't let one detail one of your coins**!
    I must share some of this misfortune as had I paid attention when I purchased the coin those staples would of been addressed before it went into my pocket.
    Great pointer Ken @green18

12. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

I am starting a study of the Stone Mountain Half to be published in several months. I would be interested in keeping this forum thread going if anyone still has something to post about this commemorative.

I was taken back by an article on CoinWorld a couple of weeks ago where the author called anyone who collected these or who appreciated the carving a racist. That got me interested in the coin and carving, and since I lived pretty close I thought why not explain it in more detail without the politics.

Stevearino and longshot like this.
  13. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

By the way, has anyone ever seen a TPG description for the grading standards. This one might be tough because of the design and poor strikes.

14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

A good dealer friend of mine had a coin shop for probably 60 years. He bought every one of these that came in but would never sell one. The Stone Mountain was really special to him. He must have had close to a thousand of them in his collection.
    When he passed, I wondered what the family did with that collection. I hope they saved it and put it away.

Cheech9712 and Stevearino like this.
  15. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

When I have the information ready to show I will post a link here, but for now the trick is to accumulate enough inventory to study

Stevearino likes this.
  16. Bill H.

Bill H. Active Member

A great one to be sure, however, Oregon Trail is the best IMHO.

17. baseball21

Little surprised to hear CoinWorld allowed such drivel to be published under their name. Whatever author wrote that regardless of who they are just exposed themselves as a numismatic and journalistic hack.

18. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

Well CoinWorld should be about coins and not politics in my opinion

There is a little politics in everything, but this is about coins and let the politicians pontificate about the rest

19. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Member

For my 5th birthday my Dad gave me a 1925 Peace dollar (the year of his birth), no doubt one he'd stashed away from a passenger needing change when he was driving the City bus from 1957 (he did that until 1974, when they went bankrupt)... and on my 10th birthday he gave me a Stone Mountain Half... I have both coins, and a bunch of others, but the Stone Mountain always makes me think of Dad...
    Thanks guys!
    ;)

JPeace$, Stevearino, HawkeEye and 4 others like this.
  20. baseball21

I don't think so, but I have seen the PCGS graded G04

21. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I think I only have one Stone Mountain, and it was possibly politically defaced by someone scratching an X in front of the eagle.

HawkeEye likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted