Stolen coin, please be on the lookout

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mikep, Mar 9, 2023.

1. mikep

mikep Active Member

I shipped an expensive graded coin (1909s VDB), that I had authenticated and graded with PCGS and set it in my registry, to a buyer with good feedback, it was signature confirmation and insurance to a PO Box, he signed for it, left the post office with the box and then messaged that the box was tampered with opened and no item was in it, including a picture, all via ebay messages. We discussed it back and forth for a few days then he just stopped discussing it. 25 days later he filed a not as described claim and I was told by ebay CS to wait til they step in and that I have nothing to worry about.
    Famous last words, they decided in his favor and then I appealed and lost the appeal because he provided a Police report. I then called the US Postal Inspectors office and made a report and got pictures of the item in the condition it arrived in from the receiving post office as well as an official email from the supv at that post office stating the same, plus I also pointed out the entire conversation with him via their messaging system and the 25 day gap in filing a claim and getting a police report. Now they are re-reviewing the case via the "back office" group, which I have zero confidence in. I filed a claim with the insurance offered and apparently they don't cover coins so there goes that. I asked them to refund my insurance and they dont do that. Ebay is terrible and I will no longer sell high end coins on it.

Attached Files:

ZoidMeister, serafino and NOS like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Thats wrong, it is covered by insurance. They don't cover coins as in if you're mailing cash in the mail. A slabbed coin as a collectible is absolutely covered. When you talk to them don't call it a coin. Call it graded collectibles. Otherwise you will confuse them.

4. Jaybot

Jaybot Active Member

I suggest to follow Jaelus's advice. Please keep us posted! I hope you get this resolved. Ebay is tough on sellers

ZoidMeister likes this.
  5. David Betts

David Betts Elle Mae Clampett cruising with Dad

Agreed being married to a postmaster 38 years well versed in USPS insurance! Pay the man for lost coin.

6. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

eBay/PayPal will ALWAYS side with a buyer in the event of a dispute no matter what the evidence is in a dispute. They have both admitted as much to me over the phone. You need to escalate your argument to higher ups to even have a chance of winning.

I would also agree with Jaelus - it's not change, it's a graded collectible with a fully provable value. You'll have to fight for it, but they owe you money if they lost/stole your coin.

Edit: This kind of nonsense is why I no longer sell anything on eBay. There is no such thing as Seller Protections when buyers can claim anything they want and eBay sides with them no matter what.

philologus_1 likes this.
  7. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

I purchased a PCGS graded coin on Ebay a few years back ($500ish) and, even though the tracking system said that the package had been delivered to my mailbox, I hadn't actually received the package. I was living in an apartment building at the time and mail being put in the wrong mailboxes was a common occurrence.

After a few weeks, I contacted the seller and Ebay about the situation. It seemed that the seller was protected from Ebay's perspective (seems right to me), as they had me file a stolen item report with the FBI and Ebay covered the cost of my refund.

It got even crazier because a few weeks after getting the refund (month+ since shipment), I came home from work one day and the unopened coin package had been slipped under my door. I contacted Ebay to explain what had happened and to give the money back, but they said, "Once a refund has been issued, it cannot be taken back. It only happens once though, so this is your one time."

All that to say, if Ebay is taking the sale money back from you over this, then that goes against what I've experienced in these types of situations. Per what I thought was their policy, it seems as though they should cover the cost.

However, I'm sure a high grade 09S VDB was a lot more than $500.... maybe that makes a difference.

MIGuy, Jaybot, serafino and 1 other person like this.
  8. PamR

PamR You Never Know! Supporter

It is very disturbing that they have access to I do believe image the boxes etc. I could be mistaken. Or people are watching unfortunately. It’s hard to trust. The hood do suffer for the bad. And what is insurance if we can’t make a claim. As we speak the industry, retail, customer service has changed drastically. Stay on them. You may find that one that cares! So sorry about your experience.

9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Sure hope you can get a positive resolve. Let us know.

PamR likes this.
  10. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

I had an opened/empty package arrive at my post office recently. It came like this. If that guy package was received at his post office in such a way he would have gotten it like this. I had to return this package like this to the seller to file the post office claim. Any other story is just a story... good luck
    20230311_041002.jpg Screenshot_20230311-040654_Gallery.jpg

11. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Wow, that sucks! I've had things arrive partially opened too and I know how that is. It makes you... :mad:

12. Vertigo

I, too live in an apartment building where mail gets switched. I don't ship any coins there EVER! There are peeps in my building that I wouldn't want knowing I collect coins. I don't even keep much there in case I ever forget to lock the door.

MIGuy likes this.
  13. Vertigo

And if you are shipping valuable coins in bubble wrap paper packages do yourself the biggest favor and completely wrap the package in package tape. The tape reinforces it and makes it waterproof. Even with boxes, I completely seal them with strapping tape. Every opening.

Jeffjay likes this.
  14. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

I do the same even with low end coins. Anything valuable I wrap in a tamper proof package and put it inside another tamper proof package.
    I hope the original poster of this thread has success resolving this issue.

15. rte

rte Well-Known Member

I got an item in the other day from a shipper.
    The slab was packed in a bubble wrap envelope and sealed with a copy of the shipping label...then put in a flat rate postage box labeled and securely taped.
    It arrived with a torn corner but nobody got into the box.
    I suspected a RAT at some point was curious about the contents.
    Anything of value I will pack this way.

16. Vertigo

Another thing I do, with pcgs submissions, i take and package them in a bubble wrap package. I write my return address and pcgs address on the package. Then seal that up good and put it in the priority box from the post office. Then I address that box. Should that box get destroyed along the way the package inside should fall out and get returned to me for lack of postage. Just an extra added assurance. Whether I send it registered or not. Some of my lowball submissions I don't bother with going registered.

Jaelus, -jeffB and Jeffjay like this.
  17. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

I also do the double box and insist that people ship that way to me, for anything around $2k or above. It's an extra measure of security.

18. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I wouldn’t sell anything on eBay due to their policies. Sorry this happened to you.

MK Ultra likes this.
  19. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Too many crooks spoil the broth.

20. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

There's many ways you can lose a package. I live about 15 miles outside of the nearest town, therefore, my mail is delivered to me in a mailbox on the street. I live about a mile down a dirt road from our mailbox. Thankfully, I have not lost a coin, but I have lost several other things. In order to preserve the packages that are sent to me, I contacted the Postmaster in writing to hold all packages. When a package is mailed to me, the Postmaster makes a form up telling me she is holding a package for me. It's still bothersome to have to got another 15 miles to the rural post office to pick up a package.
    As for coin purchases, I receive some in a box, some in a soft bubble wrap package and some in a padded envelope. Luckily, I've not lost them either.
    I love living in a rural community because we know who our neighbors are and if there is someone that doesn't fit in the "neighborhood, we start a call-around to find out who they are and why would they be in deep woods. Some are legit, but its nice to know your neighbors. Most of our neighbors are hunters as well and own vicious hunting dogs. My wife taught in the neighborhood and taught almost everyone that went to school at the high school she taught at. After being married 26 years, they still call her "Miss Register" (her maiden name). And I am still a yankee after living in North Carolina since I was 21. I even served our country at Fort Bragg which is about 50 miles from her parents. If anyone saw me doing something, my wife would know about it before I got home.
    Sorry for running my story. Let's hope we don't have too many problems with the mail system. Have you seen what it's like in Argentina and Uruguay. I was a missionary for our church and served in Uruguay and Argentina. Each month, my father would send me a check for $90 for room and board. One month, the check didn't arrive. I couldn't call him because a call to the states was about $30 a minute, so contact was made by letter. He told me (after waiting 2 months to get a letter from him) that the check had been cashed. Luckily, I had enough money to support me until my next check, which turned out to be a check book to write my own check. Anyway, when I finally got back home, I asked my dad to show me the check. When he showed it to me, it was obvious that it was not my handwriting. The bank would not reimburse us because it had been cashed over a year ago.
    So.. be thankful you don't live in a mail system in South America.

21. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

I never sell via eBay; always through auction companies or direct to dealers. I’ve bought only one expensive coin through eBay. Learned I could contact the dealer on expensive coins and always get a better price.

I use private insurance for coins I ship. Has several advantages: 1. choice of carrier … USPS, FedEx, USPS. I use FedEx when possible … the local store has much broader hours than the PO … can even submit packages on Sundays. I never put FedEx or UPS packages in a drop box. I hand them to a clerk or driver and verify the label scans correctly. However, some grading services and auction companies insist on USPS, so I have to stand in line to send registered mail.
    2. it’s forbidden to describe contents and must write value of zero on outside of package or any carrier documentation … much less likely to attract a thief. 3. it’s irrelevant whether contents are considered cash or collectibles … covered in either case.

Cal

MK Ultra likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted