Stolen 12 Caesars in Gold

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ken Dorney, Oct 28, 2016.

1. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

that occurred to me, what if some common criminal just melts those things down since he can't sell them....and takes remains of those lovely coins coins to a cash for gold place.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Yup that has always been my worst fear. If you are gonna steal my coins, steal em for the numistmatic value please.

It happened to an antique store close to where i live a few years back. 10,000 dollars in silver coins stolen. All the coper cents were left, including some rare indian head cents. Not a single coin has ever been found. Everyone has assumed they were melted down:sorry:

4. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Not I. My coins are stored in a safe deposit box and delivered to a PO box. No worries here.

5. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Maybe I'm wrong but I think the thief may have known exactly what he was going after.

6. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

That would be a terrible loss to have 12 beautiful aureii treated like 3 ounces of common gold. :(

I have my coins delivered to work. Still working on the safe deposit box. They're hard to find and frequently there's a waiting list. :(

TIF likes this.
  7. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I have my coins shipped to my work as well. Mostly cause im there more than i am at home. However, i dont like safety deposit boxes. I like a hole in the ground more that bank boxes lol.

Now if i had a 12 Caesars set in gold... Well i might consider one. Or maybe more guns lol

Paul M. likes this.
  8. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I was lucky enough my mom managed the bank I use. Probably the first and last time I took advantage of a little nepotism.

Paul M. likes this.
  9. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Assuming that the criminal knew which room in which apartment in which dorm I live in, then they would have to break into a building with a state-of-the-art security system that is connected to the campus police station right down the street. Then they would have to get through two locked metal doors with locks that are incredibly hard to pick. But I still try to limit who knows about my collection.

All my mail arrives at a PO box in the campus Post Office, so that is secure as well.

As far as I'm concerned, I feel pretty safe using a forum like this, even though I don't use my name.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    Paul M. likes this.
  10. Willy-Wampum

Willy-Wampum New Member

Terrible... Just terrible... My condolences.

11. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Who says it's my real name? Or maybe it's my middle name. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted