STOLEN $1000 LGS - Please Keep An Eye Out

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by funkee, Jul 1, 2014.

1. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Typical - great find... really adds information.

Funkee -

Posted this at PCGS too...something is rotten in the milk here. I sense insurance fraud on part of the seller. Looking at the site Typical found it is clear the auction image is a crop job of the picture in the holder from the site, as the background smudges are identical. There is no way someone leaves $1k+ on the table since a 55 would CLEARLY demand another $1k price premium. If a deal is too good to be true...

The fact he used the scan of the note in the holder from the other site, then says it is "not in a holder" in the auction, screams funny business to me. Seller clearly knew the holdered history, posted a scan taken of it in a holder, but says... no holder.

The sloppy repackaging shouts "here here look at my clearly tampered with package". Anything more subtle might not get the point across that it was a smash and grab... almost an orgy of tampering evidence.

This stinks to me. Sorry you got caught up in it and didn't get that note I *know* you had to be looking forward to. But my gut tells me... it was never in that package.

MEC2

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

Great detective work Sherlocks!

That note image is clearly a terrible cut and paste job. The smudge at the top center gives it away .

At least I feel better now that I know it wasn't in there to begin with. Sounds like a standard insurance scam. Too bad USPS rarely pays out on collectibles and numismatic items.

I think I know what I need to do from here.

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  4. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

A few recommendations . . .

1. Contact both NGC & PCGS with the photo and request that they put the serial number of the bill in their databases of stolen currency, as this bill may eventually be submitted for grading.
    2. When you receive a package taped the way you did, open it in front of the postmaster, or at least a postal clerk who can attest to your claims.
    3. Do not address envelopes, either to or from, with a company name that identifies the contents as potentially being of value . . . names including "coins, jewelry, currency, gems, etc." When I need to ship something to a buyer who has such a name, I request a simplified or abbreviated name, so as to remove that clue from the package.
    4. Lightweight packages with high insurance coverage are prime targets of postal thieves. I've lost 7 packages in the mail (inbound & outbound combined), and every single one was a gold coin, likely for this particular reason. Consider adding something bulky or heavy in the package, and paying the extra dollar or two . . . it will be money well invested.

- Mike

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  5. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

How was the package addressed?

When dealing with high value items like this its best to use abbreviations
    If its come from a coin or currency shop otherwise it,s not to difficult to
    Figure out whats inside

6. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

Both To: and From: were personal addresses. No indication what's inside.

The exact image on buyuscurrency.com of the note, pretty much solves the issue. Not mail theft, but seller fraud.

The image was cropped directly from the website. The little white smudges in the area of the holder are exactly the same. I reached out David from www.thecurrencyhouse.com who initially had the note for sale, to see if the original buyer still owns it.

silentnviolent likes this.
  7. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

I'd like to know what he says.

8. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

That sucks man.

9. TypicalCreepahx

TypicalCreepahx Hello There! ( ͡⚆ ͜ʖ ͡⚆)

Woo hoo! I did something! Btw all I did was type in the serial number in a search engine and add the denomination :)

Endeavor likes this.
  10. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Well done dude!

Endeavor and TypicalCreepahx like this.
  11. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Only 1 thing I despise more than a Thief..and that's a Liar!
    Hope the note shows up!

RickieB

Endeavor and chip like this.
  12. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

I nominate you man of the day. If you win the award of man of the day, I will mail you a prize.

13. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

Since I reported that exact note stolen, it's going to cause big problems to the actual owner when they go to sell it.
    What is the correct serial number of your note?

L00015867A

That is the number on the note I sold.
    I apologize for stirring things up.

14. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Guy makes no mention of it in his sale that the note pictured is NOT his note. Yet his camera works for his other auctions... pee-eeewww.

Sorry that note isn't showing up Funkee, it was a great specimen.

15. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

From the seller:

I see there are some accusations of there never being a note in the package; that is understandable but seeing how this caused both of us some headaches, and I likely maynever be compensated by usps or only get a partial refund out of it, not too logical on my part. Not all insurance claims end up with a happy customer. Also considering I just gave ebay 10% transaction fee ($170) and will likely be wasting weeks of my time contacting usps to come up with a reimbursement.

I wouldn't just list something and ship an empty package. $1,700 is a lot to eat; and for low volume sellers that is almost too much to eat. Besides, I've sold thousands of dollars worth of silver coins, Morgan Dollars, Franklin half dollars, etc, and all arriving safely to my buyers. Plus these are items I enjoy far more than paper notes.

About that "fantastic deal" that supposedly raises red flags to others, I actually got this note for face value years ago. I made money on it. But now I don't want to hold onto many of the things I've owned for a while.

And I own the other items I just listed, by the way.

Just wanted to clear that up. Folks can believe what they like to believe. Selling coins for 2 years or longer and have never dealt with his before.

16. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

How does this seller explain why the other seller has it listed on his website and is seemingly a more notable/reputable dealer?

Also, is the possible scam seller checking this site? Seems to have a lot of info that seems to originate from here or another forum.

Wonder what is REALLY going on here.

17. Robert Paul

Robert Paul Active Member

Sorry about the lost, as something similiar happened to me but with a much lower price.
    And since that time I have always requested, on expensive items that Registered mail be used, No Insurance needed, if it comes up missing you know exactly who is responsible. And since that time, nothing has been lost>
    So Use Registared Mail, it cost alittle bit more but I want the contents not the headaches.

18. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Yeah, I won a great Dallas 1914 $20 Burke-Glass note that got mailed out the day before Sandy hit the NE, it showed tracking... then stopped. Nothing ever again. Got my money back but it was that loss of expectation that still stings a bit...

19. Urban_Lawyer

Urban_Lawyer Half dollar nerd

Hey Funkee, any updates on this? Get any new info on the matter?

20. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Now that this got bumped up, I'm also curious how this ended up (or is still going).

21. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

Draft saved Draft deleted