still trying to learn

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Kristine Garrant, Mar 23, 2023.

1. Kristine Garrant

Kristine Garrant Certified Newbie

20230323_191020.jpg 20230323_191020.jpg 20230323_191601 (3).jpg what would cause a well worn 1920 penny to look like dirty silver in color .. over the entire coin (even edges) ?? weighs 2.9g so does that mean its just well worn or is it some reaction that the copper had?

Kevin Mader likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Your photo doesn't look silvery in the least. Coins can take on all sorts of colors.

Kristine Garrant likes this.
  4. Kristine Garrant

maybde its just a lighting thing.

Kentucky likes this.
  5. lardan

lardan Supporter! Supporter

I have to say I do see the copper and with copper that is very dark.

Kristine Garrant likes this.
  6. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

You are likely right on the weight. A worn cent, doing its job 100+ years later. Kentucky is right about the coins...especially older ones. Different shades...different colors.

Kristine Garrant and Kentucky like this.
  7. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

The coin does not look silver to me. It looks shiny brown with a dark surface starting to corrode. On the obverse, above the "W" and "T" I can see fresh copper color where the oxidized surface is scraped off.

8. Nick Zynko

Nick Zynko ZmanFla

It all has to do with what the coin was exposed to in its lifetime. There are always environmental factors both natural and manmade, dirt, grime, heat, smoke, chemical exposure that will affect a coins patina and darken the color based on the base composition/metallurgy of the coin. I have had several mint state Buffalo nickels from a roll that had turned a deep gloss black and when I sent them into a TPG service, they came back graded as details, Environmental Damage.

Kristine Garrant and Insider like this.
  9. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Copper is the most reactive of the three classic coinage metals. It can take on many shades. The early large cent expert, Dr. William Sheldon, once called it “autumn leaves.” He put together a color set of copper coins, which the last I knew was on the market for a very high price.

The other two classic coinage metals are silver and gold. They are classics because they are among the least reactive metals to the elements.

lardan and Kristine Garrant like this.
  10. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

Looks like soot to me. Or like it sat in a hot dirty oily environment for a while.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  11. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

The color brown comes in many shades but it's all still Brown

12. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

I'm not seeing it in the photos, but if you are while in-hand, it is most likely as others have said, although, coming in contact with certain other materials, a coin could take on a variety of colors, but usually NAV, and not any type of error.
    Have you ever watched the videos of turning pennies into silver and even gold color? Just do a search on YouTube for them.

71Avalon and Kristine Garrant like this.
  13. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Copper takes years to react with normal atmosphere to produce Copper Oxide which starts brown with a change to black if Carbonated water is present. ( Now you know why your "cup holder change" looks like it does. IMO, Jim

14. Kristine Garrant

Once again I am not saying that any coin that I put on here is worth any money or some terrific find or I just won the lottery of treasure hunting. I'm asking questions so I better understand this industry and that is it and only it but thank you for your advice I will take a look at that

15. Kristine Garrant

Neat!

16. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Sorry if you thought I was referring to you believing it was something special or valuable. That wasn't my intention.
    I appreciate posts that will further the knowledge of the recipients.

17. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I wouldn't call it an industry..
    It's known as a hobby ;)

18. lardan

lardan Supporter! Supporter

I learn something here almost every day , ask all the questions you want.

19. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I have a few cents that have that same look. I believe the wear and oil from our fingers gives it that shiny silvery look. It’s still brown like copper should be but the light makes it shine and the wear is reflecting a silver like color.

20. Kristine Garrant

Minting coins isnt an industry, basically?

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  21. Kristine Garrant

Its all good!

Mountain Man and SensibleSal66 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted