Sticking to slabbed from now on...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Oct 25, 2012.

1. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I'll repeat an opinion I've expressed in the past (buried somwhere deep in the old threads here).

Roosevelt dimes (and in my case I limit that to the silver ones) are a sleeping beast.
    Not a monster, at least not in what's left of my lifetime.
    But I think they are undervalued.
    Essentially the design hasn't changed since 1946 when the design was first issued.
    To the best of my knowledge there hasn't even been any mention of changing the design.
    I believe numismatic heads will be raised and look in that direction if a change is ever strongly suggested.

To that end a few years ago I completed a slabbed collection of silver dimes.
    It's a matched set with respect to grade.
    All my business strikes are MS-66.
    All my proofs are PF-67.
    If I were to make any changes at this point I'd keep the same grades but move up to ones with the FT attribution on the slab.
    That attribution is largely ignored.

But considering my age things better happen relatively soon or I'll not receive the benefits of my insight (if I'm correct).

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

How long did it take you to complete the set? And I bet you worked with some reputable dealers putting the set together - like Angel Dees. He is talking about a month and using ebay. Heck if he was going to do all of that I would just go buy a completed dansco album for about $300(BU and PR to 1997).

4. jolumoga

jolumoga Active Member

I totally agree. While I am more of a stacker than a numismatist, I have a numismatic side. I think slabbed coins are great, and the interesting thing is you can often get slabbed coins CHEAPER than raw coins. And while in theory slabs can be faked or altered, in practice it is not easy to do. So if you can get slabbed coins cheaper, and they are guaranteed to be legit, why waste time on raw coins? Maybe I will post some eBay tips in time. The only drawback to slabs is they take up more space.

5. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Are you trying to beat the Mayan calendar?
    Relax. It'll all be there tomorrow. :)

6. jolumoga

jolumoga Active Member

Let me add that the photos of slabbed coins can be altered, but the grade of slabbed coins is unlikely to deviate much from what they are given. Slabbed coins carry authority that can be very valuable to beginning and even experienced collectors. A slab, especially from a respectable grader, is a layer of protection for the online buyer.

7. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

As I told you when you were asking to buy silver roosies from me, I think you are best off buying dimes from broken up mint sets since that is what you want. I picked out my best duplicates and sold them to zacfromnj, he currently has them. I myself always prefer the toned coins but as I stated, my coins are roll finds. Actually I can tell you we have coin shops and PM shops in my area, along with small local show. Many of the coins can be overpriced and they also have coins with issues. As far as the show is concerned, many coins are overpriced, selling AG coins for far above what I could get on Ebay. For the same price I paid for a VG IHC at a show I have gotten VF+ coins. I paid a dollar something for this coin on Ebay, something I could not get at a show or shop. Not that I haven't gotten deals at local shops. I could never get Barber quarters for the same price I got from a local PM shop on Ebay. Then again, that shop focus is on precious metals. Now that I think about it, you can overpay for a problem coin anywhere. I know I bought a Barber dime at a local shop and posted it here and several people told me it was going to be a problem and I took it back.

Attached Files:

8. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

One of the benefits of collecting in an area with few or
    no references is that you'll never know when your
    finished. I like collecting coin club medals/tokens. I'm
    not aware of any reference books on them. If I don't know
    where "finished" is I don't have to worry about finishing. :devil:

And besides, what's the hurry? "...You can check out
    any time you like but you can never leave ..."
    Hotel California -Eagles

Draft saved Draft deleted