Stevearino's 2022 Coin-related License Plate Contest

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Stevearino, Jan 2, 2022.

1. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

For years I’ve looked at license plates to find three-letter combinations that would be high-scoring in Scrabble (e.g. XZK, X=8, Z=10 , K=5 for 23). Then I noticed several that contained three-letter abbreviations or words that are often used on CT. I decided to create a contest around these three-letter appearances, but didn’t get serious about it until @masterswimmer made a mention of a license plate a couple of weeks ago.

Rules.

1. There will be three winners. The 1st place winner will be the first person to post three photos of license plates from the thirty possibilities listed in rule #4. 2nd place winner will be the second person to post three qualifying photos. The 3rd place winner will be the third person to post three qualifying photos. This contest could likely run for several months or until all three prizes are claimed; don’t give up, as even after the first prize is claimed there are still two remaining. Any unclaimed prizes by 12-31-2022 will be given to Young Numismatists active on CT by lottery (to be announced in January, 2023).

2. A CT member may only win once.

3. The contest is open to CT members who have been members since October 1, 2021 or have 10 posts by the date of submission.

4. Photos must show vehicles at rest. A photo of a license plate on a moving vehicle will disqualify the submitter from this contest (and any future contests I might sponsor on CT). Each photo must include enough of the surrounding area to ensure that it can be determined the vehicle was stationary.

5. The three submitted photos must come from this list of thirty: ANA, ASW, CAC, CRH, CUD, DIE, DDO, DDR, EAC, FBL, GEM, HUB, ICG, KEY, LMC, NGC, OBV, PMG, PPQ, PVC, RAW, RPM, REV, SLQ, SMS, TPG, UNC, WLH, VAM, VDB. The letters must be in the listed order as shown.

6. To respect the privacy of owners of vehicles in the submitted photos, consider blocking out numbers in the license plates.

7. I apologize that not all states use a combination of three letters. I did not see a viable alternative for this particular contest. Any members living in foreign countries having license plates with three letters are welcome to enter.

Prizes

1. The three prizes will be credit towards a purchase(s) from CT members listed below. 1st prize $50; 2nd prize $30; 3rd prize $20. I will forward prize awards to the winner’s choice of vendor from the following list of CT members. Please state your choice of vendor with your winning submission.

a. @lordmarcovan’s “treasure box.”

b. @John Anthony (JAZ auctions).

c. @stldanceartist

d. @dwhiz

e. @ToughCOINS

Please, fellow CTers - do not attempt to photograph a moving vehicle! There is enough distracted driving out there without this contest adding to it. That is the reason that photographic evidence of stationary vehicles is required. I’m sure none of us on CT want an injury or death or property damage to occur just to win a little contest. Vehicles stopped at red lights are fair game, but, please be careful out there.

Good luck, my friends, and Happy New Year!
    Steve

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

I like it! Sounds like a fun contest.

Question for you. The picture of the 'CWR' license plate I took was taken while we were stopped at a red light. Bona fide not moving, while at the same time not possible to get the red light into the same frame as the license plate itself. Counts towards your requirement as not moving? Or not?

FYI, I do recognize my pic doesn't include one of your three letter iterations and therefore doesn't qualify under rule #4. This is just to clarify the not moving but stopped at a red light variation to your rule.

A refresher of my pic.....

IMG_20211213_124101329.jpg

4. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

This should be fun. Perhaps I'll do several passes of the Publix parking lot the next time I'm there.

dwhiz and Stevearino like this.
  5. Stevearino

I figured this situation would occur, as I had my wife take a shot of a license plate while we were stopped at a red light a couple of weeks ago. If someone pledges that their submissions were taken while the vehicle was stopped, I will allow it.

Steve

dwhiz and masterswimmer like this.
  6. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Funny I just ordered this the other day. DWHIZ CT plate.png
    me and red jeep wit ct plate.jpg

7. Stevearino

Hey, THAT is cool! But you know what's going to happen, @dwhiz. People all over NH are going to be making appointments with their optometrists, telling them, "Got to have my eyes checked, Doc. The other day I saw a license plate that must've been GWHIZ, but the G sure looked like a D."

Steve

PS. You're lucky; I don't think I can get Stevearino on a plate, let alone add the CT.

dwhiz and masterswimmer like this.
  8. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

Cool contest . . .

Z

9. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

OK, I must fess up. I bought that Jeep when I lived in NH sometime in 2002.
    The salesman took the photo and I used PhotoScape to put the license plate on the front.
    If anyone is familiar with Wolfeboro, NH that was at the old Miller Jeep
    dealer just up the road from the old Bittersweet restaurant.

ZoidMeister and Stevearino like this.
  10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

All fine and good but not all states use three letters on their license plates.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  11. Stevearino

Hence my apologies in my first post. Hopefully you'll get a lot of tourists from "triple letter states" in Montana this summer. There's always hopes for another contest in the future if this one works out, something more inclusive.

Steve

Mountain Man and dwhiz like this.
  12. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Almost a week? Keep looking guys they got to be out there!

13. Stevearino

I've seen four on my list. That's why I thought three was a reasonable number.

Steve

Draft saved Draft deleted