Steps on LMC

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by CatW, Mar 11, 2017.

1. CatW

CatW Member

Why do the steps on the LMC vary? I have noticed the steps on the 84 are different than a 74 and even a 94. The steps in the 84 seem more like the steps of the Monticello.
    I have Googled this question 30 different ways and can't find an answer. So here I be.., :happy:
    Thanks

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

The transition from copper to copper plated zinc, the change occurred in1982. Also in the 70's the Mint was seeking a solution to incomplete steps using the fine-steps design. They didn't want to increase the die pressure since that reduces die life. The easiest solution was to modify reverse master hub in 1982 to remove detail from the steps. They were also probably worried about the 19 step design and the plating.

For me, the burning question is why did they abandon it and go back to the detailed steps design in 1985? My guess is they were confident they could do it with newer technology and still meet production quotas.

1982lincolnSDZrev2.jpg 1984StepsVeryClose.jpg 1990StepsVeryClose.jpg

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    CatW and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  4. CatW

CatW Member

Thank you...Im not sure if I'm just not typing in the right questions, but I have not been able to find any sort of answer. Much appreciated!!

Draft saved Draft deleted