Featured Stephen and the 'Anarchy'

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by FitzNigel, Jun 3, 2016.

1. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Essentially, although the English Kings were never considered vassals for their English lands. The thing to keep in mind is that the French Kings were very weak, and could do little to control their vassals. And while technically they would be vassals for their French lands, I don't believe Henry II ever did homage to the king of France (him being a king in his own right). Always remember that while these men may rule multiple principalities, they never united them. Thus, they were counts or dukes or even kings of various territories which were considered separate.

chrsmat71 and Ancientnoob like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Loved the write-up. Have been very interested in Stephen and Maud (Matilde) after reading all of Ellis Peters' Cadfael novels.

Steve

FitzNigel likes this.
  4. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

[​IMG]

Map. from Wikipedia of t he North Sea Empire under the reign of Cnut, ruling as king of all Anglia.

North Sea Empire
    Stamford, Anglia
    Cnut the Great (r. AD 1016 -1035)
    AR Penny 18.2 mm x 1.00 grams (c. AD 1021-1035)
    Obverse: The helmeted bust of Cnut left holding a scepter with 3 lobes.+ CNVT REX A
    Reverse: Short cross with 4 pellets and 2 extra opposing pellets. + THVRSTAN ON STA
    Cnut.jpg

5. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

Great history. Thank you for the write-up and the coins.

guy

6. K9coper

K9coper Junior Member

I started picking up English hammered coins about 2 years ago. Compared to US colonials they are a bargain, older and more book work to determine mint and type. Thanks for the post

Stevearino, Alegandron and FitzNigel like this.
  7. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

My favorite family, the Plantagenets. I'm currently reading a book about them. From the "White Ship Disaster" to Richard II.

scan0001.jpg

Edward I (who called himself Edward IV, as 3 others before him to take the throne were Edward) is one of my favorite historical people. I collect his coins. Thanks for the write up!

edward i kingston.jpg

8. Nap

Nap Well-Known Member

My penny of King Stephen:

[​IMG]
    "Watford" type variant without the inner circle around the king's portrait. Moneyer Sigvert of Lincoln. The legend is nearly impossible to read but I found a die match to identify it.

And here is a coin of Stephen of Blois' older brother Theobald II, count of Champagne:

[​IMG]

Theobald was generally friendly to his younger brother, and campaigned with him when they were young. He was a preferred candidate for king of England by some, but Stephen benefited from good luck; he had a bout of dysentery and missed the famous "White Ship" which took the life of Henry's son and heir. One of the few times you can really say you were glad to have diarrhea. Later, he was in northern France when Henry I died, and he was able to get to England to make a claim for the throne before his older brother could beat him to the punch. Stephen had enough problems in England and made nice with his brother and they remained on pretty good terms, as far as I can tell.

The early 12th century "Anarchy" is a fascinating time period. The irregularity and poor manufacture of the coins only adds to this era's mystique. It was also a terrible time to be a peasant.

It is a confusing time, with warfare and shifting alliances, and to make things more difficult the Normans refused to use more than 4 or 5 names to call themselves themselves, so you get lots of different Williams, Roberts, Eustaces, Theobalds, and of course Matildas.

K9coper, seth77, icerain and 6 others like this.
  9. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Oh boy another chance to post Big Willy C!

Great write up - totally enjoyed it. Big Willy needs a write up.

Anglia, Bristol
    William I, (r. AD 1066-1087)
    AR Penny (s. AD 1085-1087)
    19mm x 1.37 grams
    Obverse: + PILLELMREX, bust facing
    Reverse:BIHTPORD ON BRIC, Cross P A X S in angles. (Brihtword on Bristol)
    Ref: Spink (2014) -1257, for mispelling cf BNJ 1909 pg.8 citing Beaworth 3
    Note: Pretty high grade, toned.

wc3c3.jpg

seth77, icerain, FitzNigel and 4 others like this.
  10. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

That is a great coin of a very significant ruler. Here is my Plantagenet penny, Henry III.

Henry III Voided Long Cross Penny Walter Canterburry.jpg

11. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Awesome coins all! I like the Thibauld @Nap - I have one of his son/grandson either Henry I or II (Roberts claims it's Henry II, but I'm not sure how they know):

05a-FCh-1181-Henry II-D-Provins-4727.jpg
    French Feudal, Champagne
    Henry II, r. 1181-1197
    Provins Mint, AR Denier 18.4 mm x 1.0 grams
    Obv.: CASTRI PRVVINS. Comb of Champagne, 'V' made of three triangles above, annulet on either side, legend beginning at 10hr.
    Rev.: +HENRI COMES. Cross Pattee, pellet in first quarter, omega in second, alpha in third, and annulet in fourth
    Ref.: Roberts, 4727 variety, De Wit 512-13 variety

It seems to me the Thibauld pieces are better struck than Henry's. I did a write-up on this coin and some related issues here

Nap, Sallent, Ancientnoob and 3 others like this.
  12. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Great, now I want to get more medieval coins.

Ancientnoob and FitzNigel like this.
  13. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Ancients are the dark side - medievals are the bastard children. Come join us in our obscure little corner...

Bing likes this.
  14. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Little? From my vantage point, our little corner is getting quite crowded.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    Stevearino and FitzNigel like this.
  15. Craig Z

Craig Z Member

Great Write Up! Im very glad to see more medieval collectors here on the site as I am one myself! Love reading about this history! Thank you!

Stevearino and FitzNigel like this.
  16. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

The truth is that most of us ancient collectors like to dable a little in medieval coinage. We may not have extensive medieval collections like a dedicated medievalist such as yourself, but if you ask around this forum for medieval coins, you are bound to see some sweet ones being posted.

I may be an ancients collectors, but I enjoy seeing threads on medieval coins, and I can't wait to see what you have. I don't think we need a separate forum for medievals. Us ancients folks appreciate most/all hand made coins and the history behind them, whether they be ancient, medieval, or more modern.

And all this medieval focus in the past 24 hours is making me want more of them. It's been a while since I've purchased a hammered coin. I think I may have to rectify that shortly.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    Stevearino and Craig Z like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted