Featured Steelyard Weight with Bust of Byzantine Empress

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by rrdenarius, Feb 1, 2020.

1. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

I found this piece at the NYINC in January. I went to buy coins and maybe a VNCIA coin weight. This piece jumped across the table and said: "Buy me!" The dealer did not have it in his stock at the show (dealers were told - NO ANTIQUITIES). When I asked about scale weights, he offered to bring the piece the next day. I said I was not interested. I said I had spent all of my $$$. I said I had an eye on a really neat cast coin. After that, it was like the flower at the Little Shop of Horrors, my eyes glazed over and I stepped into something new.
    If you have a similar empress on a coin (or elsewhere), please post it. I estimate the date of this piece by the type of cloths on the empress, but I am not a women's fashion expert.
    20200117_124940.jpg
    Bronze steelyard weight
    Steelyard scale in the form of a late Roman or early Byzantine empress (400 to 600 AD). Most of the attributions call the empress anonymous. Byzantine empresses were used for weights to encourage the public's belief the state ensured fair and prosperous trade. She is wearing a tunic (a bit like a T-shirt) that is covered by a Stola (Shawl, Himation, Cloak, Toga or some sort of outer garment.). The tunic drapes from her left shoulder to her right hip and from her right shoulder under her right arm. Her right hand is open in the center of her chest. In her left hand she holds a mappa, an official symbol of imperial authority, or a scroll, reflecting the state's emphasis on learning. Her jewelry is:
    · A beaded necklace
    · A second necklace (this might be jewels at the top of her toga).
    · A crown with strings of jewels cascading down the right and left side of her face.

Her hair is braided in two strands and rolled to the top of her head. It is hard to tell what is hair and what is jewelry on this statue.

Dimensions:
    8-1/8” tall (7-1/4” empress plus 1” hanging ring)
    4.25” wide; Some of the base has been bent due to being dropped and is a bit wider.
    3.0” thick
    Oval base. Some weights have a circular or irregular shape.

Weight: 1411 grams
    = 3.1 US pounds
    = 4.5 Roman pounds (As or Libra)

Materials:
    * Cast bronze shell. Most catalogers say produced by lost wax method, followed by cold working.
    * Some, but not this one, are filled with lead to increase their weight.

I found 10 similar examples on line. Three were in the MFA NY, but I did not make a trip there. You can see here:
    http://rrdenarius.blogspot.com/

20200119_235715.jpg
    A pic of our haul from the NYINC.

upload_2020-2-1_16-49-58.png upload_2020-2-1_16-50-13.png upload_2020-2-1_16-50-24.png
    upload_2020-2-1_16-50-39.png upload_2020-2-1_16-50-50.png upload_2020-2-1_16-51-3.png

tibor, Peter T Davis, Andres2 and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

That sure is a nice weight and undoubtedly a memorable acquisition that fits perfectly in your collection.

rrdenarius likes this.
  4. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Wow! What a fantastic find, and it slides right in to your growing collection of weights! Congrats :)

6. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Holy smakrel! That lady is MASSIVE. Big time congrats!
    I LOVE just everything you post!
    Though, your wifey has an excellent eye for colors:artist:, I think you came away with the better haul:D
    Here's some of the few acquisitions of mine from around the same period and my only weight:
    AFF1EC6A-629A-4CF3-AF6E-AD015414E7E6.jpeg

50D85E1A-7AC9-4FFF-9E9C-F416213C1974.png
    Ancient Roman Bronze Weight with 2x Countermark L=17x17x1,5mm 3,4gm rare

Ps, you gonna show off that massive Janus or just make me squint at our?

rrdenarius and Johndakerftw like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted