Steel nickel?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Mwyelinek, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Mwyelinek

Mwyelinek New Member

I was reading up today on my 1941 nickel cause i figured as old as it is it may be worth somwthing. It does not look normal and i seen that there was a 43 that was steel by error. Mine looks like my silver dime and looks completely different from other nickels is it possible it may be silver?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

Only nickels dated 42-45 with a mint mark above dome of Monticello contain silver

4. Mwyelinek

Mwyelinek New Member

Figures i wouldn be that lucky haha is this worth anything in this condition?

5. Mad Stax

The 41s are pretty common, great thing about collecting coins is that you can enjoy the hobby in a multitude of diff ways though. You could always buy a nickel folder and try filling it out of circulation

6. Mwyelinek

Mwyelinek New Member

Yah i plan on doing that i look at em all day i mainly like the older ones but its just fun to see all the different kinds i have so many but it would always be nice to come across that one thats worth alot

7. Mad Stax

Keep searching, their is silver out there. Its highly doubtful you'll find anything worth big money in everyday travels though. Silver nickels dimes, and quarters are scarce in circ, but they're still floating around. Just don't plan to strike it rich looking thru pocket change

8. Mad Stax

9. Mwyelinek

Mwyelinek New Member

Could this one be silver it weighs the same but sounds completley different when dropped

Attached Files:

10. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

@Mwyelinek There is a "P" mint mark above the dome on your coin.

11. bryantallard

bryantallard show me the money....so i can look through it

check the 3 and see if it the 43/42 OD

12. bryantallard

there is always the chance it could be struck on wrong planchet/metal. (not saying this particular coin)

ALSO, there is a 1944 nickel that is NOT silver and sells for about 45-60 dollars circ.

13. Mad Stax

If you're referring to hennigs nickel, he forgot to put the MM above the dome, so they're easy to distinguish

14. Mwyelinek

Mwyelinek New Member

I appreciare it ill look when i get back home im kinda new to this so just getting everything down

15. Mad Stax

Everyone starts somewhere, good luck, I suggest buying a red book and glossing it over, informational books are essential to know what to look for

16. Mwyelinek

Mwyelinek New Member

Where do i find em and what would u say is a rough price range ive just been reading everyrhing i can on google and other coin sites

17. Mad Stax

You could get one online, I just go to Barnes and noble, they have all types of books about coins in their collectibles and antiques section

18. bryantallard

and he forgot to make them out of partly silver. plus the telltale loop in the leg of the R. I was trying to make the point that just because something is not of the correct year or composition ( if that is the word I am looking for) does mean that it's impossible and that if you find something that looks weird it is still best to ask to make sure.

Mad Stax likes this.
  19. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Link please?

20. Mwyelinek

Mwyelinek New Member

So they are full silver? And i see no mm anywhere on here but it may be worn off. And yah thats why i loom everythimg over a few times look it up then ask around

21. Mwyelinek

Mwyelinek New Member

Let me see if i can find it

Draft saved Draft deleted