States Of Jersey Coppers

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by JonySky, Oct 3, 2005.

1. JonySky

JonySky Senior Member

I have 2 1866 1/26th Shilling coins from The States of Jersey. But they are not listed in the Standard Catalogue. One is VF, the other VF+. They are different from the 1/26th Shilling I have from 1851. A Smaller diameter, 24mm instead of 28mm. And the denomination is written out as "one twenty-sixth of a shilling" instead of "1/26 of a shilling" on the 1851 coin. It is even a little more than 1mm smaller than the 1/24 shillings of 1877. Does anyone know anything about these coins? Especially an approx value. Thanks, JonySky

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

JonySky,these are listed in the 19th Century Krause.The States of Jersey is the official name of Jersey's Parliament.The Parliaments of Guernsey & Alderney are also called the States.Jersey is the only British Commonwealth country to have denominated their coins in fractions of a Shilling.Prior to 1877,there was 13 Pence Jersey in 1 British Shilling.The 1877 currency reform brought the Jersey coinage into line with the British - 12d. = 1/-.The last coins
    to be denominated in fractions of a Shilling was the issue of 1966,
    which commemorates the 9th. Centenary of the Norman Conquest.Jersey issued a 5/- crown,& Guernsey issued a square 10/- coin.

Aidan.

4. JonySky

JonySky Senior Member

not in my Krause

I have the 19th century Standard open in front of me, the last listing for the 1/26 is 1861. The first listing for the 1/24th is 1877. Again ,y coin does not have the denomination written like other 1/26 shillings. JonySky

5. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

JonySky,the 2 coinages are listed separately.the 1/24 Shilling is actually listed after the 1/26 Shilling.

Aidan.

6. JonySky

JonySky Senior Member

Oops

I see it now, under the 1/13 listings. That's a tricky way to list them. Thank you for your patience. JonySky

7. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

I'm only too pleased to help.British Commonwealth coinage is my speciality.The 'H' mintmark is the Heaton's Mint mintmark.It is located under Queen Victoria's portrait.Heaton's Mint was located in Birmingham,England (not Alabama!).

Aidan.

8. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

Try here:-

http://home.hiwaay.net/~hfears/

What Harold doesn't know about Jersey coinage isn't worth a mention

(Edit: I can't get this url to work via the above link. It works just fine when I type it direct into my browser window though)

Ian

9. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

In the link "description" there is a tilde, but in the actual link that got replaced by "%7E" ... Lessee if this works: http://home.hiwaay.net/~hfears/

Christian

10. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

Yeeeeaaaaayy That works :).

Thanks Christian.

Ian

Draft saved Draft deleted