State Quarters in Dansco, fair price?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by goldmark, Sep 9, 2012.

1. goldmark

goldmark Active Member

I've found an American shop offering all fifty State Quarters (unc, 1999-2008) from P & D mints in a Dansco coin album for 80$ (excluding shipping), is this a fair price?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. joseph289

joseph289 Member

I know of a better deal. You get all P and D mint state quarters as well the territories in one album. Then you get all the ATB quarters from P and D mint for $200.

4. goldmark

goldmark Active Member

Joseph289 can you give more information regarding that offer?

5. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I'd take door #1 and it isn't a bad deal with the Dansco album for $80. It is $25 in quarters with a $25 album. The coins in UNC condition (my assumption) will probably have an upcharge of $30. Thus, I'm OK with $80. I'm thinking that door #2 isn't that great of a deal.

6. goldmark

goldmark Active Member

Thanks for the input, particularly the Dansco album has captured my interest they seem to be high quality made I haven't seen one in person yet.

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Dansco makes nice albums. You just have to be careful when inserting the plastic slides over the coins so that it doesn't scratch them, but this is a very simple procedure.

Even $80 seems a bit high when you consider that most of the coins will probably be less than gem. It's not like the State Quarters are scarce. You might want to shop around to see if you can find a better deal, or you might want to contact this seller and make a slightly lower offer. All he/she can do is say, "No!".

Chris

8. goldmark

goldmark Active Member

That's a good recommendation Chris, I will ask if shipping is gonna be included. For comparison the highest price of a known German dealer is approx. 179€ (225$+, okay that one is a huckster and one ends up paying mainly for the packaging) for fifty mixed mints Quarters, ebay is an alternative and more favorable with 40$+ unfortunately they are without the album.

The question at hand would be if the Dansco album is worth the additional premium, if I end up buying separately it will drive up the price to 80$ again (no local dealer). Are Dansco albums to be preferred?

On a sidenote how much is the average price for the Silver Park Quarters?

9. cpm9ball

I don't collect these so someone else will have to give you that info.

You've mentioned 50-coin lots a couple of times. For the record, a complete set of the P&D State Quarters is 100 coins. If you're going to try to buy a set, make sure that it is complete rather than random mintmarks from each year.

Chris

10. goldmark

goldmark Active Member

The 80$ offer includes both, the ebay offer ditto just the ridiculous 179€ doesn't.

11. tdogchristy90

tdogchristy90 Dieu et les Dames

goldmark, when I bought my state quarters I bought both p and d in tubes for about $80. I can't tell you wether that plus the dansco us worth 80 but I'm just telling you my experience.

12. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

I put my uncirculated quarter sets by buying the actual uncirculated mint sets. Well, I just buy two each year, one is broken up into individual sets/albums while the other is kept intact in original government packaging. This way I know for a fact each quarter is uncirculated condition. This route will cost you more than $80 though but you do get all the other coins as well.. ;)

13. tdogchristy90

tdogchristy90 Dieu et les Dames

I just did a quick check on eBay.

You can buy both p and d in coin tubes for around $50.

14. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

The complete series is 56 coins from both mints. And then you can add the clad and silver proofs from San Francisco.

50 States, 5 Territories and the District of Columbia.

15. cpm9ball

The quarters for the territories and the District of Columbia are, technically, not part of the State Quarter program. It was a separate act of Congress that approved these coins.

Chris

16. goldmark

goldmark Active Member

Alright, I appreciate the opinions given and thank you all. I've contacted the shop stated in the opening post and depending on the conditions (if shipping to Germany is possible....) I will take that offer.

In case I've bought the Dansco would you like to hear my opinion of it?

That's another possibility, the problem here is the limited availability of the older mint sets if I end up ordering in the US from different individuals paying shipment and import duties it ends up reducing feasibility greatly.
    The only mint sets I'm currently buying on local market availability are older Canadian proofs, because of the silver commemorative dollars.

17. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

That's ridiculous.

Those can be found at much less than that.

18. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

I would jump on that if it were me. $80 is not a bad price for P&D UNC State Quarters already in an album. These kinds of sets are selling anywhere between $70 and $85.

19. JAS0N888

JAS0N888 Member

i just bought a Dansco Parks Date set album, i am going to fill it w/ silver proofs. looking to find the proofs for around 6 bucks a piece.

20. thecoin

thecoin New Member

i got a set of all the state quarters, p or d mm's, it also came with all the atb's for 2010/11, for face from littleton

Draft saved Draft deleted