State Quarter, no copper on edge?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Japles, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Japles

Japles New Member

Hey, I just opened a roll of quarters and while checking the rims, noticed a coin that didn't look like clad, I assumed it was either silver, or a canadian I pulled it out and it was a 2000-P Virginia state quarter! It seems very strange, I have never seen one like this before, there is no copper visible on the edge, I am wondering what type of error this might be? Is the clad just covering the copper or is it made out of the wrong material? Any help or insight would be great. I will post a couple pics, but I could not get my phone camera to focus on the edge of the coin. Sorry!
    IMG101.jpg IMG102.jpg IMG105.jpg

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The photo of the edge is awfully blurry. Is there any reeding on it? Sometimes people will "spoon" them to mash the edge down.

Chris

4. SteveF

SteveF Member

probably silver or platinum plated - apparently the shopping channels & others sold some as a "super awesome" collectable :rollling: - worth 25 cents

capthank and UncleScroge like this.
  5. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

is the reeding intact?

Hard to tell from the pic.

If the reeding is there, the next thing I'd check for is a mint mark. P, D, or S?

P or D mean a plated coin. S requires further examination.

Can you tell us what mint mark it has?

6. Japles

Japles New Member

Yeah, like I said, the camera wouldn't focus on the edge at all! :( the edge looks normal other than the missing copper core, the reeding looks normal, rims look good, not much wear, or any tampering that I can detect. I am guessing it is just the clad layer is covering the outside completely

7. Japles

Japles New Member

it is a P mintmark, yeah I was hoping for S! So is there a way to tell what it is plated with?

8. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I've seen normal clad coins like that. They aren't super common, but it's not an error. The outer layer just covers the inner copper layer.

9. mikenoodle

Lon, it is also helpful to remember that he's talking about a US Statehood Quarter which were plated and sold by the droves by Mike Mezack in his various business ventures. (HSN, CSN, etc.)

While it is indeed very possible that the coin is as you suggest it is overwhelmingly more likely that the coin has been plated.

10. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree with Mike and SteveF, most likely plated. They plate extremely thinly so I am not sure if the weight would be much off either.

The statehood quarters opened up a whole slew of utterly craptastic junk sold via tv and mail order. Our hobby will be dealing with this stuff for a long time. :(

11. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

You're right, that's probably a likely scenario.

12. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Exactly, you know it's a craphole marketing scheme when you end up finding these rare "gold plated" quarters in a bank roll. I've found two of them in a span of 30 days searching. The kids didn't mind going through daddy's Coin Vault TV purchase and roll up the quarters to buy some Pokemon cards.

13. mikenoodle

If they could be worth less than 25¢, they would be, but alas, face value is about as low as it can go

14. baker9622

baker9622 New Member

I have one too I'm go ogling it and thid forum came up. I have never seen anything like it before. I was hoping I some rare quater. When I get home I'll look at it again,and post year, state and mint

15. jchodes

jchodes New Member

I have one that has no copper and has an S for it's mint mark... 2007 Montana Quarter. is this one plated as well?

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Since it is a S mintmark there IS chance that it is silver. The first test is to check the weight If it is close to 5.67 grams it's plated. If it is 6.25 grams it's silver.

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Double post, sorry.

18. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

I look at a lot of quarters and I've found a few of them, when I see the edge it looks Canadian, does have a somewhat silver look, but not quite.. I just throw in a tube, and when its full, I'm spending them to see the looks I get.

19. KXJ2099

KXJ2099 New Member

[​IMG] Found this quarter that is like above, any ideas? image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  20. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

21. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

GARY R COYIER, 91stang2 and Treashunt like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted