State Quarter Error?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by cocogurl55, Aug 6, 2011.

1. cocogurl55

cocogurl55 New Member

coin1.JPG COIN2.JPG

I have a 2004 Texas State Quarter D and it is silver on one side and a yellowish/gold on the other side. I gently washed the coin with soap. The goldish color is even all across the back. I read about something called a unfinished planchet error, but all of the coins in pictures look more shiny on the unfinished side. Is this coin worth anything? :confused:

Thanks so much!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fcloud

fcloud Junior Member

It could have been something odd like contacting another coin in a roll. I don't think there is any special value, but we'll see if anyone else chimes in.

4. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

We really need a better pic of the reverse.

5. AncientCoinHous

AncientCoinHous New Member

If the quarter weighs a lot less than a regular quarter then you have an error.
    They struck some state quarters missing the silver on one side or the other.
    I have one put away.
    If it is authenticated I think it is worth $400 in MS conditions slabbed.
    But you would have to pay plenty to have the quarter authenticated as an Error.*

6. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

First off, this quarter is not silver, is clad copper and nickle.

Secondly, it looks like PMD, like it laid in some liquid or other substance.

Finally, it's worth $.25.

Welcome to CT.

7. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

I agree... I seriously doubt it's missing the reverse clad layer.

8. AncientCoinHous

9. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

See BUncirculated's post above... the outer clad layers are copper-nickle, NOT silver!

10. AncientCoinHous

Did Bunc do a metal test?
    Did he judge the metal by the photo?
    With that scan I can not make it out.

11. BUncirculated

The U.S. Mint has not used silver in business strike coins since the 70s, and not in business strike quarters since the 60s. The OP's quarter is a copper-nickle clad.

Get a Redbook, published by Whitman, authored by R.S. Yeoman, and read all about it.

12. RJK3

RJK3 New Member

I have one like this with the same coloring on both sides. Here are some pictures. The weight i got was 5.7 grams. photo (3).jpg photo.jpg

13. joey0053

joey0053 ZERT Operator

Visit the below thread and scroll down to the #10 post, There is a very good detailed pic of a clad layer missing error for you to compare. Matter of fact the gentleman that allowed me to take that photo still has that coin and has yet to get it graded, I may just make him an offer on it and see what he says.

http://www.cointalk.com/t121151/

14. BUncirculated

Your pics are too small and fuzzy to tell what it is. If I had to guess, dirt or it sat in some liquid.

15. dfraser

dfraser Junior Member

Just for the record, nickel is almost always spelled '..el' not '..le'
    Looks like your coins is just dirty, I have several false missing clad layer state quarters that I use for demonstration at YN meetings in my area. If the clad layer is missing the weight is low. Start with the weight.

16. Tameragene

Tameragene New Member

17. qvnsq

qvnsq New Member

Hi everyone! I know this is an old post, i found a same coin today, since lots of expert here, might i know what does this mean, does it worth any bucks?, thanks

Attached Files:

18. AnonymousCoinCollector

AnonymousCoinCollector Reintroduce silver coins to circulation!

Hello!
    Your coin was stamped by somebody after the coin left the mint. Looks like some kinda novelty or tourist item maybe?
    It is considered damage in the coin collector world, but still worth 25cents.

paddyman98 likes this.
  19. qvnsq

qvnsq New Member

Thank you very much for your time, i found on change machine, been searching but there none such a thing exsit.

20. Patrick Rooks

Patrick Rooks New Member

21. Patrick Rooks

Patrick Rooks New Member

What is wrong with this 15604976791326129955884774201881.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted