Starting another Morgan Dollar set

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Indianhead65, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Indianhead65

Indianhead65 Well-Known Member

10 or so years ago when I sold most all of my coins...along with my PCGS AU53 1909 S VDB and my NGC G4 1916 D Mercury Dime, I sold every complete and incomplete set that I had. I had alot of Morgans and a complete set of Peace Dollars. I've decided to collect the Morgans again along with 8 or so other sets that I've set out to collect. This, however, is the first purchase towards that endeavor 20200721_124337.jpg 20200721_124357.jpg

green18, NSP, john65999 and 10 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

It’s a long, exhausting, but fun journey. I am exactly 3 short of a complete set, including many varieties.

NSP, Indianhead65, capthank and 2 others like this.
  4. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

I envy you. Just looking at my spreadsheet for Morgans, I have nearly all of them EXCEPT the CCs along with the more costly issues from the 1890s; I don't have a single CC. I can't remember how many of the Morgans I bought needed to be returned, though, but it has been many.

Not a bad looking '79-O, @Indianhead65. Good luck and smooth sailing as you launch your next collecting adventure.

5. Chris Winkler

Chris Winkler Well-Known Member

Nothing against buying worn out ones, they just fluctuate in price to melt value and not much more. A nicer collection would consist of MS65 or better coins with a higher future value.

What say you?

6. LA_Geezer

I'm not well-off enough to afford a complete collection of MS65 or better Morgans. I've mostly avoided the slabbed ones, too, since there are many raw ones out there that equal or surpass my graded ones.

Indianhead65, capthank and Jim Dale like this.
  7. bradgator2

I am not even remotely close to having all uncirculated. 30 are slabbed. Several of the easy years in high PL and DMPL. I dont mind a nice worn example of the harder ones, but I do want it to be problem free. 89cc, 93s, 94 are my holdouts. 84cc is in GSA slab. My organization:

63E173A4-D28C-448A-8942-DCFBBEC7BA56.jpeg

LA_Geezer, NSP, capthank and 3 others like this.
  8. Chris Winkler

Chris Winkler Well-Known Member

I have to agree, lately I have been seeing ANY coin graded MS64, 65 & even 66 that look like garbage and you really have to find good ungraded & get them graded...

Jim Dale likes this.
  9. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I'm down to two now I keep all of my Morgans they are a joy to collect. Good luck with the post be safe.

Indianhead65 and Jim Dale like this.
  10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I take it you have already purchased this coin? I am not a Morgan expert by any means, it looks like it was cleaned and is a problem coin. At least it has NO eye appeal to my eyes, but then maybe it's just me. Sorry you had to sell your previous collection and good luck on your new endeavor.

Indianhead65 and Jim Dale like this.
  11. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

Good luck. I've been at it, on and off, since the early 80's. I'm missing 8 for a complete set, incl the varieties. Many graded, most are raw. I'm fortunate to have all the Carson City's but the 1889. 1878-1885 are in GSA holders. All are graded except 1892, 1893. All graded are MS62 or better except 1879 which is a F-12. Morgan's are my favorite. I have a group to be sent to the TPG. Will post photos when then come back. Thanks for sharing.

12. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I really like the Morgan Silver Dollars. Most of mine are Raw that my father left me. I bought some graded ones. I do have one question about the Morgan posted at the beginning. Is it raw? I've been thinking about getting less expensive coins, raw or graded to start at the bottom of filling a Morgan set and if I come across a Morgan in better shape of one of my coins, I'll replace them, preferably graded and slabbed. There's probably a better way to start out, and if there is, please let me know. Thanks to all.

13. Indianhead65

Yes....the one I posted is raw

14. Indianhead65

I'm not really into uncirculated coins for the most part....to me circulated coins have a history and character. You can look at it and handle it, in some instances, and wonder where its been and who may have had it in their pocket....maybe a civil war soldier or someone else notable. BU and UNC coins take that away for me. I will continue to collect circs and problem coins such as die cracks and so on....the history is why I started collecting in the first place. Thank you....

Jim Dale, LA_Geezer and green18 like this.
  15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Echo dat Kevin.........:)

Jim Dale, LA_Geezer and Indianhead65 like this.
  16. LA_Geezer

I really like your labeling/filing system. Where can I find those little stickers?

17. bradgator2

I made all the top edge labels and all the non-TPG face labels in word. My wife is a teacher, so then I used her laminator to encase them in plastic, then carefully cut them, the carefully taped them. Freaking pain the butt.

I made the aluminum case inside with craft foam. And of course, every single slab has a different thickness and different width. I may have uttered a few curse words over the years.

Jim Dale and green18 like this.
  18. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I saw your filing system, and liked it as well. I am using AVERY labels on inside of my non-PCGS/NGC coin holders (BCW). I have to cut them about 3/16" width so it doesn't cover the coin and damage it. I use them on my cardboard holders as well. I know that some of the coin supply Internet stores have some fake PCGS coin holders. I don't know if there are any NGC coin holders. I would like to have them in some coin holders that are PCGS/NGC type holders so there will be a similarity to them. I'll replace them as I financially can. Any ideas of a source that might carry PCGS/NGC type holders. Oh yeah, the AVERY labels fit to the top of the holders. In order to keep them from slipping off the top of the coin holders, I cut a piece of tape the right size over the label to keep them from coming off. I use Scotch Heavy Duty Shipping tape. It's firm

bradgator2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted