Starting an Ike Collection

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Bman33, May 13, 2017.

1. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

This one is interesting. Are you talking about the FEV version here?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Not sure as I am a novice. The "Modified with Accented Crater Lines" Came right out of the Red Book in "note a."

4. MontCollector

mikenoodle and Bman33 like this.
  5. MontCollector

Oh yea, I forgot to mention the "Peg Leg" Varieties. These are pretty easy to spot.

This is where the "R" in liberty on obverse has no serifs. The 1971-S BB were minted with both varieties PL and Non PL (PL= Peg Leg), the rest are considered collectible. There is a bunch of info on the IKE groups website on these. I have a couple if you need better photos of what to look for.

There are several years with this variety including the 1971-D. Here is a link to the 1971-D FEV PL variety.
    http://www.ikegroup.info/DIVA listings/1971 D/1D1-201.pdf

Take a look at the DIVA list for the rest. I believe the 1974-D has this variety too.

6. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

What's an AU 50 King go for?

7. MontCollector

Raw ones on ewwbay seem to sell for around $30-40. Graded ones are all over the place. You can probably find them cheaper if you really look.

8. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

You might want to add the '76-S 40% BU from high speed presses.

This is an interesting coin that had a huge mintage but the vast majority were melted. It appears in the red packaging in a three piece set with no white stripe on the envelope. Many people omit this coin because it's uglier than the regular mint set quality coin.

They were cranked out and then rolled around in 55 gal drums because at the last minute in June of 1976 the mint came to believe they were required to mint way more coins than they had and there was no time left to make nice ones. The nicest of these isn't nearly as good as the worst of the mint set quality versions. They have weak strikes and usually worn dies and they are usually badly marked up.

9. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

What kind of holders should I put all these coins in? Set up?

10. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

so, @cladking this is new for me. There is a difference between the sets that have a white stripe and those that don't? Do the coins come from the same dies?

11. mikenoodle

I like air-tites. Any hard plastic holder will be really good, slabs included.

12. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I just checked out a Dansco Book that didn't have a lot of the Varieties in it. If I put them in airtites, what can I hold them with or store them in?

13. mikenoodle

The Dansco book will tone the coins!!! Do you want to go backwards?

There are ways of storing air-tites. If you want a book, find some vinyl pages to put them (the air-tites) in.

14. Ike Skywalker

Ike Skywalker Well-Known Member

This has been a great thread. It's exciting to find out new information about Ikes.

15. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

OK, no Dansco. I have seen some custom built Ike Collection holders. I don't think I am handy enough to go that route.

16. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I agree, we should keep this one going. All the Ike Experts and novices with questions!

17. Ike Skywalker

Ike Skywalker Well-Known Member

This makes me appreciate my 76-S in MS67 even more.

18. mikenoodle

Have you ever considered a Capitol Plastics holder? There should be one that you can find, and if you want, Capitol will make you a custom holder in beautiful, hard, inert plastic with any date and mint mark slots that you desire!

19. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

20. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

21. mikenoodle

Draft saved Draft deleted