Starting an Ike Collection

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Bman33, May 13, 2017.

1. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

This is essentially true. Scratches tend to be shiny.

Planchet flaws show up most in weakly struck areas such as around the periphery and the tops of high design elements.

mikenoodle likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

What should I expect to pay for common business strike Ike's in uncirculated condition?

4. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

It won't be too unusual to see the easy dates as cheap as $1.50 but these are disappearing and usually nice coins will be $2 for easy ones up to about $6 for the '76 t I and the '73's. Mail order will be another dollar or two.

But the wholesale price on these rolls has been creeping up to the $40 each vicinity so dealers will eventually pay more to replenish their stock. These are not big sellers and dealers pay little attention to them. They think there is an endless supply of mint sets with pristine coins at near face value. All these ships have sailed.

I've been seeing some surprisingly high buy prices from dealers who just can't get some of these coins.

5. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

6. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

I can answer that. No there are not. 1977 and 1978 only had Clad Proofs.

7. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Are they hard to find?

8. MontCollector

Nope you can find them both raw and graded. If need be you can also find them in the '77 and '78 Proof sets. Check ewwbay they have plenty for sale.

9. DysfunctionalVeteran

DysfunctionalVeteran Oddly enough

Never put any coin with a mirror like finish in acetone unless you want to ruin that mirror look. I have an excellent example of what acetone does to a proof so no one will ever listen to bad advice and ruin their own coins. Let me go find it.

Bman33 likes this.
  10. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

BMan, the 77 and 78 proof sets are dirt cheap as well.

11. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

That's good to know. I take it I will have to still go through those if they have a few to rummage through.

12. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Offer 10% less than bid on proof sets. Most dealers will take that.

13. DysfunctionalVeteran

Acetone on a proof... don't do it unless spots are your thing.

20170530_143032.jpg 20170530_143113.jpg

14. MontCollector

By 1978 the Ikes seem to have cleared up a few of their quality problems. The Proofs came out outstanding. Raw high grade ones can be found all day long. Even the 1978 P & D Ikes seem to have much less chatter to them. Finding raw quality 1978 P & D's shouldn't be a problem either.

15. Ike Skywalker

Ike Skywalker Well-Known Member

Just to add an interesting tidbit, there were some 1977-D Ikes struck on 40% silver clad planchets. I love enigmas like this!

IMG_5926.JPG

16. MontCollector

I can't find a picture, but there are 1974-D 40% silver Ikes as well.

When going to purchase your 1972-P Ikes do a little research 1st if you get a chance to cherry pick them. Hate to see you pass up a "King" because you didn't know what to look for.

17. Ike Skywalker

Ike Skywalker Well-Known Member

Yep.
    74D-SP.jpg

Bman33 likes this.
  18. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Acetone did not create the looks of this coin. Let's not mess up this thread.
    Please post a new thread. It would be interesting to see what others have to say.

19. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Nothing wrong with that. Just typical government issue. Flail against it, but in futility.........Modern guys are doomed to reality.

And I ain't got a clue about what I said, but I'm thinking I'm on to something. Anybody got some good Gary Larson images to share?

20. MontCollector

I remember him....The Far Side Comics. Loved them when I was a kid

21. DysfunctionalVeteran

I put the coin in acetone so how are you going to tell me its not from acetone?

Draft saved Draft deleted