Starting an Ike Collection

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Bman33, May 13, 2017.

1. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

Hey B'man, Where have you been? Hope everything is ok.

Bman33 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Just took a little break from the boards. Once I got my MS64 1972 type 2 I didn't really know where to go with my Ikes. Looking for some direction, all I could come up with was upgrading them.

4. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

You could... or you could try to find another series...

Upgrading is always a losing proposition. Instead, I would recommend selling the Ike set as a set and then building a new one

Bman33 likes this.
  5. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I started a thread on doing a type set. It was a “Post WW I” set. Basically getting all the classic coins but avoiding Expensive ones. Trying to figure that one out.

6. mikenoodle

That’s what I thought you were moving on to. I can actually help you in that regard because I started on 20th century type coins.

There are ways to do it without breaking the bank, but it could also be smart to find another set like that to chase at the same time, because we all get impatient, and the set that you’re describing, if done nicely, will take time to find the proper coins for. So, if you can work on a couple of things at a time, you can be patient with BOTH sets and be more selective about the coins that you put in those sets without feeling like it takes forever.

Bman33 likes this.
  7. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

What coins do you suggest?

8. mikenoodle

The 1920s are a great era. All coins except the Cent have Liberty on them. There are many key date coins in the year 1921 alone. Collecting from this particular decade gives Indian Head gold coins for you to buy, Standing Liberty Quarters, Walking Liberty Halves, Buffalo Nickels and Mercury Dimes.

There are also some years in which certain denominations weren’t made, like 1922. I could go on and on about the 20s.

Bman33 likes this.
  9. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Keep going you’re on a role!

10. Ike Skywalker

Ike Skywalker Well-Known Member

In what way?

11. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

This concept is something I cannot grasp. Spend all of this time learning about and putting together a masterful set of coins, and then sell it just because I completed it and needed something else to do. It would never occur to me to sell my collection.

Ike Skywalker and LakeEffect like this.
  12. mikenoodle

He wanted to upgrade the set. I suggested this instead. I would think that set#2 would be a better set.

CoinCorgi likes this.
  13. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

14. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

I'm trying to think... Since your'er into moderns how about a nice mint set of Kennedy's? Susie B's? I think each series would complainant each other. I am not into modern's but would be interested if a nice set of 'fore mentioned was shown to me.
    I like your thinking and enthusiasm of doing a series (Ike's) thats eye appealing, has some interesting verities and doesn't break the bank. You chose a path that other new/budget minded collectors should follow. Perhaps you should continue...

Bman33 likes this.
  15. mikenoodle

One of the attractive things about Ikes, or Large Dollar coins in general is the size. Coins of this size are particularly difficult to locate without a lot of marks. The large canvas lends itself to expanses of empty fields. You don’t get that collecting dimes. The design protects the fields on smaller coins.

Ike Skywalker, Bman33 and LakeEffect like this.
  16. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I love the Ike Dollar because of the Reverse. I love the Apollo Program and totally nerd out over it. There are no other moderns that I am very fond of. I have thought this out and I want to do my 1920's "Classic Set", and continue upgrading my Ikes, mostly focusing on prime specimens for the business strikes. I have all the Brown, Blue, and Proof Ikes. Those are pretty easy to get in good condition. It's your business strikes and getting those in 65's and higher that really satisfies me. I see slabbed business strike Ikes every once in awhile at shows. I will continue the hunt!

Yes, it is so satisfying to find an Ike where the fields are pristine. As I stated in my above response I will continue the hunt and start a new one. I can do both...

mikenoodle and CoinCorgi like this.
  17. mikenoodle

Well, if you’re into the Ikes because of the reverse, you should do a Susan B Anthony set. It has the identical reverse design, and only 4 dates in the set.

18. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know which business strike CuNi Ikes are rare to find in MS65 or higher? I am looking at prices and they are not cheap for a 1971 Philly

19. Ike Skywalker

Ike Skywalker Well-Known Member

Currently, the 1971 in MS65 is at its lowest price since I started collecting 9 years ago. I'm not sure what its highest had been in the years prior to that, but now is a good time to pick one up. Check this out:

I paid $180 for this 1971 (PCGS MS65) in April, 2017.
    1971 Eisenhower PCGS MS65 slab.jpg
    I paid $161 for this 1971 (PCGS MS65+) in June, 2018.
    1971 Eisenhower PCGS MS65+ slab.jpg
    The picking is ripe for PQ Ikes right now. Trust me.

Bman33 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted