Starting an Ike Collection

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Bman33, May 13, 2017.

1. Heater

Heater Well-Known Member

Where is the fun in that?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sambyrd44

sambyrd44 Well-Known Member

My Ike sets are diverse I have a set in MS64 and MS65 and a set OF MS66 (year set) in PCGS Slabs The Silvers I have in 65/66/67 IN PCGS slabs.

The silvers 71/72/73/74 UNC Blue pack may be best bought in slabs there pretty inexpensive. Raw examples if your real selective you can get some great coins but many will be on the lower end.

You will want to think about if you want bright white coins or toned coins and what grade range you want. The tough thing about IKES is finding nice toned coins and well struck coins in general.

I would first get an album a good one like a dansco and then buy some mint sets at a show or shop and start to look at these coins. You can build a really nice set 73,74 75(ty1) 76,77,78 these coins can be found really inexpensive and mint sets are a good way. Be very selective.I have 3 raw sets and many toners I like natural album toners. Ikes are not real popular and you can build a great set with patience and learn about these coins at the same time. No real stoppers 73 S silver proof and IKE 72 type 2 are a little costly but you can find them slabbed pretty reasonable. I think a Slabbed set MS65 is also a really good set to build you can find them at fair prices. I wont post any IKE images to derail this post but once you get started post some of your coins and I will add some from my sets.

4. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

You can still get very nice Ikes at little premium by searching dealer stock and mint sets. Mint set Ike are typically well struck but finding clean coins can be very challenging.

Bman33 and sambyrd44 like this.
  5. Heater

Heater Well-Known Member

Of course expensive if one needs a high grade example. They can still be found in the wild, in "circulated" condition. @Bman33 You just have to keep hitting the banks and maybe, just maybe,....one of these will turn up. CRH is great but No edge searching for silver on this one. It is a true hunt.

6. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Thanks for giving me the ball park cost, that let's me know what I am getting into and is very helpful. A guy at the show today had the whole set and offered it to me for $150. I didn't bite because I wanted the experience of building a set. I have never done it before.

mikenoodle and sambyrd44 like this.
  7. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

This is the only "Ike" I own. A friendly bank teller gave it to me (well, for a buck). I did not appreciate how handsome it is until I got it home. The reverse design is really cool with the earth and moon surface. I love space stuff. I decided to pull it out and look at it again while reading this thread. I see that it is 1971; but, as for grade, I don't know. I will put 'read about Ike dollar" on my 'to do" list for this week.

Question: If I think I'm seeing doubling over the head of the eagle, does best etiquette require me to start a new thread to ask someone to take a peek at it? (Thank you).
    FullSizeRender (3).jpg

FullSizeRender (4).jpg FullSizeRender (5).jpg

8. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I always thought that was the whole idea. Not only what you said you wanted to do, Bman, but what you should do. Assemble a set. It's the best way to learn about a series

sambyrd44 likes this.
  9. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

I began my Ike set by reading about them. I love Ikes in higher grades, mostly free of hits, blemishes, spots, and with high luster. So far I have several thousands invested in MS66, 67, and higher grades. A couple of the tough ones in 65. You will get the picture with Ikes as you progress. As for the proofs, try to find ones with no haze or blemishes on them. All are plentiful, but the nice ones require a little patience and can be pricey. A great series to collect!

coinguy-matthew and sambyrd44 like this.
  10. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

That might be super tuff. Dont think banks carry them anymore. Cheech

11. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

It's actually not that hard. If you want to collect raw coins, you can get every date and Mint mark from Mint Sets except for the 1971 and 1972 coins. These can be found readily on eBay as well as at many large shows.

If graded coins are your focus, those are generally even easier to find given that you already have a grasp of the internet, there are tons of auction sites on which you can find certified Ike's.

All in all, I wouldn't just settle to find an example in a specific grade, but rather I would find one that is choice for the grade assigned.

Bman33 and sambyrd44 like this.
  12. silencer

silencer New Member

as a beginner i also started out with IKES. i first went to a couple of banks and no luck. then one day i was grocery shopping with the wife at a local plaza, i saw a
    citizens bank near by. so i stopped in and sure enough the teller had 2 rolls of IKES.
    out of the 2 rolls 1 coin was in pretty bad shape.so the moral of the story is: i carry the IKE in my wallet along with a KENNEDY half dollar. you would not believe how many tellers don't know what i'm asking for!!!!!!!! they look like deer in headlights.so now i whip out the 2 coins for them to actually see what i'm asking for.
    i hope this will help you out and any other collectors to carry spare coins in their wallets.

Bman33 likes this.
  13. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Ike Update: I have one Brown Ike with blue haze on it and two circulated ones from the bank. I am going to the ANA World's Fair of Money this year in Denver. Figure I could hit putting my Ike set together hard there with all the dealers that will be attending. I'm still not certain what grade I want them to be in.

14. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Doing more research here. There is a set of Ikes if you really want to get into them of 43 coins in total. All the varieties are included with some really obscure ones. @sambyrd44 do you have all of these?

15. sambyrd44

sambyrd44 Well-Known Member

No I don't have all the varieties but I have several. I am much more interested in toned coins and most of my sets are as such. I have a few raw sets but my core sets are all PCGS slabs. I consider the 72 TYPE 1 and 2 and 3 part of the set. +

16. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Can you post the 72 Varieties so I know what to look for? I am starting out with a circulated set except for the silver Proofs. I will go for those in PF65.

17. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

Agree on the comments about buying full sets and where's the fun in that. Always wondered about that.

If not trying to sell the set in pieces why buy an already put together set. No sense of accomplishment in that.

Have fun with your search bman

Bman33 likes this.
  18. Steve McCann

Steve McCann New Member

Recently I have started collecting Ikes also...I got my first from my dad before he passed away and picked up another at a coin show last month.

19. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I'd like to add my 2c.

If I were starting where you are I would:

1. Join the Ike group. It is too advance for you at the moment but you'll "grow into it."

2. Either buy the books from the Ike Group or at a coin supply.
    a. Really basic: The Authoritative Reference on Ike Dollars.
    b. Vol.1 & Vol.2 Collectible Ike Var.

3. Buy the nicest complete set you can get. They're dirt cheap. If you have the cash, buy two or three and put the best coins into one. Save any varieties from the reject sets and blow them off.

4. Now you have a set, some books. Take time to study the series. While doing this, you can search to upgrade your set. Look for the big grade jump. It is generally a waste of time to buy a 65 to replace a 63 or 64.

5. Ike's are difficult to grade. Do as Mike suggested and study slabs. If you become a really serious collector. Keep your raw set to learn with and only form a set of slabbed Ikes.

20. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Log on to JMS Coins for accurate current selling prices of graded Ikes.

21. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I like the idea of buying a few sets and making a better one out of all of them. I had a dealer at a show two weeks ago offer $150 for his set. I didn't want to buy it because I wanted to make a quest out of it. I still want the quest though. I will keep in mind buying the yearly mint sets that Mike Mentioned @mikenoodle And if it gets ugly I will just start buying sets. I will still make a circulated one. Banks in my area have tons of them for some reason.

Draft saved Draft deleted