Starting an Ike Collection

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Bman33, May 13, 2017.

1. Ike Skywalker

Ike Skywalker Well-Known Member

mikenoodle likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

@19Lyds @Ike Skywalker @mikenoodle @MontCollector

OK, with all the breaking out of packaging (Browns, Mint Sets) I have two questions. I need jewelers gloves. Do I have to go to Amazon for that? Also, for CuNi coins can those be dipped in acetone?

4. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

When I use gloves I just use the unpowdered latex gloves. They have gotten the job done for me and are pretty cheap overall.

mikenoodle likes this.
  5. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I use unpowdered latex gloves as well. You don't re-use gloves, and dirt so oils are contained.

You can buy a box of 100 at your neighborhood auto parts store, they cost less than $15 per hundred.

6. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I use latex gloves, however I was cracking out a 73 Brown and when I pushed it out of the holder it showed a finger print. Not sure how that happened.

7. vintagemintage

vintagemintage Well-Known Member

A quick dip in acetone is harmless, just don't rub, especially with proofs. Acetone and latex gloves don't work well together though.

Bman33 likes this.
  8. vintagemintage

vintagemintage Well-Known Member

If the fingerprint is recent, acetone should remove any harmful residue, if it's been there for a while the surface of the coin may have reacted to it and acetone won't help.

9. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

It has toning on it, a weird purple blue that actually looks nice. I'll give it an acetone bath, the fingerprints came up a few weeks ago.

10. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Go for it.

It's the ONLY way you'll learn.

I remember going on a "coin run" back in Colorado when I happened across a really nice looking 1974 IKE in a small coin shop that I ended up buying for around $15 or $20.

It graded out an MS66 which, at the time, more than paid for the grading expenses.
    But then, I got lucky.

A 1974-D in MS66 would be a nice collectible piece for any collection. Especially if it's one that was found in the wild.

Good Luck!

Bman33 likes this.
  11. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

@19Lyds

I have two free grades at ANACS. I live so close I could drop them off and pick them up. Should I go with ANACs for the 74D or PCGS?

12. 19Lyds

I only use cotton gloves when handling proofs to put them into a Dansco. Latex Gloves, for me, is over kill and usually with "over kill", coin handling gets complacent and you end up dropping one.

Acetone and CnClad coins work quite well together since CnClad coins are really, really hard.

I have taken a Q-Tip and forcefully rubbed a 1970-S Washington Quarter without leaving any marks at all. BUT, if you play with a snake, eventually you'll get bitten.

Coin handling needs to be deliberate and precise. Whatever methods you choose is up to you! The only time I really damaged a coin was when I took an X-Acto blade to some corrosion on the coin using my microscope. It wasn't pretty but I had to know if that stuff would scrape off of a CnClad IKE. It didn't.

Bman33 likes this.
  13. 19Lyds

You can't really beat "Free". I'd do it.

mikenoodle and Bman33 like this.
  14. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

@19Lyds @Ike Skywalker @MontCollector @mikenoodle @cladking
    I was looking at the Ike PCGS Registry Sets and I am thinking about going for those upper echelon grades. I don't have the war chest to buy a bunch of nice graded Ikes but I'd like to see what I can do hunting these things down in the wild. What do you all think? Is it possible?

15. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Anything is possible but probability of finding a nice one is low. Nice ones are tough enough to locate in slabs. Even 66s in slabs are most often not appealing coins or are priced well beyond my budget. If I'm very lucky, I find one or two Ikes a year in 66 grade which are both eye appealing and affordable, but the few coins I need to complete my 66 set are all very tough ones. Probably have to settle for a few high end 65s to complete my circulation set.

Kasia, mikenoodle and Bman33 like this.
  16. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I am down to 6 coins for my first set which I fully intend to upgrade. It's mostly MS63's that I found in the wild with the silvers being higher grades but not 67s for the Unc and 68s for the proof. I would like to shoot for higher. The Silvers seem to be the easiest to get in good grades. Probably the packaging. I am focusing on the CuNi Business strikes right now and probably will for years. I have a nice 74D that I will send to PCGS to grade. The 72 Type II will be tough for me. I have to explain to my girl friend/wife to be why I am buying that expensive of a coin. She doesn't get collectors coins yet.

17. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Got 305 Ikes from the bank today! I know they most likely won't be in the best shape but at face value there is nothing to lose. What should I look for besides the 72 Philly type II? There's no silver in these.

18. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Friendly Eagle, thorn heads...

If you are going to collect/search Ikes, buy some books by the IKE Group. They have a web site.

Bman33 likes this.
  19. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I've been collecting for a few months and lost some steam. This score will kickstart my Ike collecting again.

20. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

Good luck with your search, hope the batch turns up something good!!!

21. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Got 71 and 77 hole fillers. A total of 57 1972's. Checked them all very quickly as i sorted. Will go through them again.

Draft saved Draft deleted