Starting an Ike Collection

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Bman33, May 13, 2017.

1. Ike Skywalker

Ike Skywalker Well-Known Member

Yes, indeed! One of the great things about Ikes is that they are so affordable. Even high grade Ikes can be had for a bargain if you get the timing right (prices have fallen some from previous years). I got this nice, rustic toned 1978 in MS66 for only $36! . . . . on eBay! I already had one for my registry, but how could I not?

Just let the obsession overtake you, Bman.

1978-MS66-IKE#2 slab.jpg

mikenoodle likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ike Skywalker

fish4uinmd and mikenoodle like this.
  4. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Some are blue/green

IKE 1972-S DDO Toned 15235002 PCGS PR68DCAM Coin.jpg
    Some are blue to brown
    IKE 1971-S Silver Proof TDO Coin.jpg

Some have conventional brown toning.

IKE 1971-S (DS) Toned  13205488 PCGS PR66CAM Coin.jpg

And some are just a maize of different pearlescent colors as shown previously.

1971-S Proof thru 1973-S Silver Proofs tend to have while 1974-S Tend to target tone in various shades of blue to purple.

They really come in all different colors.

Bman33 likes this.
  5. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

I seen Mike Meezak has all 10 silver Ikes for sale on his show. (MS&PF)
    His display coins, which I would expect are hand picked from his inventory, were so unbelievably milk spotted its ridiculous. Was $200 but was an incredible deal, he said. :wideyed:
    Point is it seems like they are either cloudy, or spotted, or otherwise damaged normally. Making finding, and keeping them in gem condition, challenging for sure. Harder than I thought to complete this set in gem condition.

6. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

The condition of the display coins is intentional. Never too good as to make someone who received average, spotted, or otherwise less than optimal quality coins want to consider returning them for quality reasons.

The display coins must be of similar quality, or it would create a nightmare of returns.

7. mikenoodle

That said, I have seen cloudy, ugly, badly toned Ikes and SBAs look like gems after a dip. You just have to select the proper candidates.

8. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Update on Ike Collection: I am down to six coins I need for my 35 coin set (71,72 type II,74S,76S type I, 77, 78). I know I can get all but the 72 type II pretty easily. Once I get all of them but the 72 type II I will go through them and grade them the best I can. I'll then decide which ones I would like to upgrade. I have a coupon for two free gradings at ANACS. I want to send two Brown Ikes and see what happens. One will be a dipped one another toned. I'll continue looking for nice Browns and Blues as it is fun stockpiling them. Any suggestions on the quest would be great.

9. mikenoodle

Are you having fun, Bman33?

Have you learned a ton doing it?

10. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Having a lot of fun doing this Mike. I have learned some, especially what to look for. I would like to go over grading Ikes more, as I would like to start a graded set down the line.

11. Paul Otts

Paul Otts Member

The 1972 Type 2 is scarce, and is the only one difficult to find. However, I purchased an MS63 example from Ebay for $89. Lists in Coin World for $125.

12. mikenoodle

What you learn grading Ikes will apply to other series as well. :)

19Lyds, Bman33 and Ike Skywalker like this.
  13. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Alright, going to a dealer that has a hoard of Browns. He said he would bring some of his hoard to the shop but not all of it because I wouldn't commit to a high number of purchases. I plan on spending around $150.00 on Browns, Blues, and Silver 76's both proof and unc silver. Is this the right way to go about this? Just start building a hoard? I would like to get some graded eventually.

cwart likes this.
  14. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

Building a hoard is definitely one way to do it. :) Personally I like to go to my local coin shop and just get the Ikes that really grab my attention. I feel like I've done OK so far, but I still only have the silver Ikes. The clad ones I have seen so far just haven't done it for me.

15. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure a few of the Ike collector's hoard the Ikes. Why not? They don't cost too much which is why I collect them. Yeah, clad Ikes can be hard to find. I'm not too happy with what I have so far. The Clad Proofs aren't too hard to get from Mint sets which run about $7.00.

16. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

I agree about the hoarding, it makes sense with Ikes being inexpensive. I'm not up to hoarding levels, but I have gotten multiples of some of the silvers. :)

17. Ike Skywalker

Look at the reverse of every '71-S proof he brings because there might be a Nightcrawler variety or even a Type 1 reverse in that group.

It's been an adventure building my little hoard of Ikes.

19Lyds likes this.
  18. mikenoodle

I would say no, but that's me.

Yes, it's a great way to start a hoard, but at the end of the day, do you really want to hoard crappy coins?

Remember what I said the first time. Look at graded Ikes to learn what the market likes and appreciates. Then buy raw coins that fit that bill.

Bman33 and vintagemintage like this.
  19. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I bought a 1974D for $10.00. I believe it is at least a 65 maybe a 66. What kind of dollar value are we talking here for each grade? I am thinking of submitting it to be graded.

@Ike Skywalker @19Lyds @mikenoodle @MontCollector

20. mikenoodle

PCGS Price Guide puts MS-65 coins at $37. I don't know if I'd spend the money certifying the coin. You'd lose money.

21. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd lose some money. Could be a 66 though. I'd post a picture if I could take decent ones but right now I don't have good light.

Draft saved Draft deleted