Starting a Gold type set

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by NYandW, May 19, 2016.

1. NYandW

NYandW Makes Cents!

Folks, I've started with is coin, (thanks to Seattlite86 for the PHOTOSCAPE info!):
    What grade/value do you see?
    1853-GOLD-US-Dollar-1-00-Liberty-Head-Type-1.jpg
    1853-GOLD-US-Dollar-1-00-Liberty-Head-Type-1-reverse.jpg

I have it XF at $180, or did I error? Thank you all.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
    Jdiablo30 and rzage like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Looks pretty XF to me

4. NYandW

NYandW Makes Cents!

Oops, typo.. XF thanks baseball21

5. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

I'm planning to get my first gold in October, if the gold price doesn't turn on me.

It will most likely be a Liberty $2.50. After I hopefully obtain it, I will no longer be the Seated Liberty Enthusiast. I will be... the Christian Gobrecht Enthusiast.

Great coin, XF.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  6. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Nice one! I'm putting together the same set. Lacking the double eagle. You will have fun with this one (though it will leave you a bit poorer).:woot:

7. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

How many coins in a gold type set?...:confused:

8. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Depends on how far back you want to go . If you want one of everyone you better be a millionaire . The Capped Bust to right , or as I call them the skinny eagle coins will run you in 2 to 3 figures . But if you stay with the basics it's quite doable .

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  9. Dancing Fire

I guess a 20th century type set would be the least expensive?

10. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Definitely and beautiful too . Then you can add some from the 1800's as you want .

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

12. Jdiablo30

Jdiablo30 Well-Known Member

The type gold set is fairly attainable. I just recently completed my dansco gold page and it consisted of. Type 1&3 gold dollars,Lib&Indian 2.50,half eagle,eagle and double eagle denominations. Missing the type 2 gold dollar and 3 dollar princess.
    No classic gold spots. Whittman has a gold type album but be prepared to spend ALOT. They have 5 spots for double eagles in it alone! It does make for a awesome album,and who doesn't like buying gold?

13. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Traditionally, 12. Three $1, Liberty and Indian $2.50, $5, and $10, Liberty and Saint $20, and the $3. Whether you add older types is up to your checkbook. You can also divide the Liberty and Saint-Gaudens coins into without and with motto, and the $20 Libs with motto additionally into "Twenty D." and "Twenty Dollars" reverses.

14. Dancing Fire

+ NM $5 & $10 Libs.

15. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Cleaned AU. My advice is to go slowly, pick a grade so you'll have a matching set, AND ONLY BUY TPGS coins.

16. Dancing Fire

forgot + NM $10 Ind.

17. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I was referring to all Libs and both Saint-Gaudens coins ($10, $20), but thanks for clarifying, anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted