Starting a Cherrypicking "Study Group"?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Dougmeister, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

For lack of a better term...

I have the Cherry Picker guides... I've taken notes over a few years... I don't have a great memory as some of you do.

My interest lies mainly in U.S. Coins (sorry, John Anthony!). I'm interested in learning which varieties are most likely to be found, which will be more difficult yet more valuable, etc.

Anyone else interested in starting from Square One?

rooman9 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Well I would be interested in sharing on a group as such.

MKent likes this.
  4. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

I would be interested in participating as well.

5. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Nothing in the Cherrypicker Guides is impossible to find. The values and rarity scale kind of give you an idea of this. The best thing to do is look at a lot of coins. There are some people that specialize in varieties that set up at shows and will let you look through coins so you get experience seeing the variety on an actual coin, rather than simply a photograph of one taken for the purpose of showing you the variety. By looking at a large number of coins, you'll also get better at using a loupe and faster at spotting what you want and don't want. If you're looking through 1000 coins, you'd much rather spend 3 seconds on each one than 10. Put another way, if you have 10 minutes to look at a dealer's coins before you get chased away, you'll have more success if you can look through 200 coins than 60.

If you're just getting started, start with a series you already know and like. If it's 20th century (post Barber), there may be a CONECA e-book you can look at online as well as the CPG.

MKent likes this.
  6. Paddy54

You can also download a Jefferson guide on your smartphone at varietyvista.com that list all RPM'S for the series . An easy tool to use at a show right st your fingertips

MKent likes this.
  7. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

I would to follow and learn from such post myself. Paddy is always helpful with this sort of thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paddy54 likes this.
  8. Stoneman2

Stoneman2 New Member

The Cherrypickers' Guide is great , it's what helped me when I started to search for varieties. The thing to watch out for is it can also be limiting. What's in the guide is only the crust of what is out there to be found. The last one I bought was the fourth edition volume 1.
    Should you have one,Absolutely , it's a great learning tool. Just don't focus too much on only what's in it.

9. Paddy54

Indianvarieties.com

Franklin - lovers

Wexler

Varietyvista.com

Vam world

shieldnickels.net

Bust half dime die marriages

all are great resource for varieties Google is your friend and you can find all sorts of information on any coin.
    The CPG are great to have to do a quick check but new variety coins are found daily . So the Web is your best bet to track down information of a variety questions .
    What may also help those whom have a memory problem a small pocket note book listing half cent- dollar dates that are known for varieties .
    Now for a real tip as some dealers could careless if you cherry pick their inventory others do.....
    that said a poker face is advised .
    When walking a show and spotting a find don't let your emotions get the best of you. Use your memory , notebook, smart phone to obtain the pick up points you need to know to nail down the variety . I myself am not opposed to taking a gamble and pulling the trigger if the price is right and the little voice inside sez "Do It" !
    If you aren't the gambler type step off do your research from your smartphone and note book. When returning to the dealer ask can you do x amount on this coin? Offer a price that's is fair and not letting on anything else other than you're interested in buying . If they give you your price or a counter offer .....pause .....and say yeah I can do that. One thing you'll need to know is the variety " rare" and
    Price points for the variety. Is this coin going to be an easy flip or if you intend to make it part of your collection .
    Varieties are out there if they really interest you.....research is the key. I sometimes the night before a show look up different specimen I'm looking for. Making mental notes of (PUP) pick up points.
    Yes there's quite a bit of information one must know and sometimes what you recall is not the most important point as some varieties had more than one pup that make that variety the one in question . Study Rpm's , Rpd's, Mpd's , ddo and ddr's . Study the difference between doubled ed dies and Md. One can easily fooled by MD.
    Don't always look at the common items on a coin examine everything close . Look for clashes , the denticals , even the sides of the coin.
    Another item is this.... you found a variety however the coin has some damage.....should I pull the trigger ?
    That depends on 1 can you live with the damage because the variety is extremely rare and you may not find another.
    or 2 can I flip this with the damage, will I break even or profit?
    All questions you need to ask and be realistic about.
    Lastly you're going to have days you win and days you loose . If variety coins are a passion or strong interest to you it's only by trial and error are you going to learn.
    Enjoy your victories, but learn from your mistakes .
    And again wait til you leave the room to start your happy dance! One doesn't want to give away any victories until the time is right, which is out of sight of the dealers you just picked!

Draft saved Draft deleted