Started a new batch of Ancients today

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Inspector43, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Attached are photos of the obverse and reverse of a batch of uncleaned ancients that I started on. I don't know which is which since they are very dirty. I can't see any detail on any of them.

IMG_6133.JPG IMG_6134.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

...first of a series...

Inspector43 likes this.
  4. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Looking forward to seeing how they turn out..

5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Looks fun!
    My daughter has been asking for some dirty ancients to clean. Everything I've found so far look like straight slugs though.
    I hope you get some good ones out of that batch. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Arcane76, Inspector43 and Spaniard like this.
  6. Inspector43

I'm sure she would like that. You need to look for premium uncleaned. They cost a little more, but you can usually get some decent coins if you take care in cleaning them. I have bought several times from nerocoins.com and have had good results. They are in Canada. The owner is very customer friendly and helpful.

Arcane76 likes this.
  7. furryfrog02

I just bought 10 "premium uncleaned" from nobleroman. I haven't purchased from them in like 3 years so we will see how they are when they show up.
    Cleaning whatever we get will be a fun summer project for my daughter and I at least :)

Arcane76, Inspector43 and DonnaML like this.
  8. Inspector43

Let me know how they turn out. Post them if possible. I have never purchased from nobleroman.

Arcane76 likes this.
  9. furryfrog02

Will do.
    I'm hoping that I get her started down the ancients path nice and early. She loves looking at coins with her older brother and me so I think it will be easy :)

Arcane76 and Inspector43 like this.
  10. Inspector43

I have my first one almost ready. In fact, I don't think there is any more I can do with it. I would like some feedback. The mint mark can be dot ASIS dot or dot Delta SIS dot. I chose the first dot ASIS dot. What do my friends think it is?
    Number 102 Constantius II.jpg

Constantius II AE3 "Two Soldiers" Constantius II AD 324-361 AE3

Obv: FL IVL CONSTANTIVS NOB C - Laureate bust right, cuirassed. Rev: GLOR-IA EXERC-ITVS - Two soldiers looking in at each other and both holding a spear between them, two standards. Exe: (dot) (delta) SIS (dot) Siscia mint: AD 334-335 = RIC VII, 237 ("delta" = c3).

Spaniard, DonnaML, Arcane76 and 2 others like this.
  11. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Typical LRB from an uncleaned batch. Not particularly valuable, but definitely genuine and historical. Better than most of the coins one finds in uncleaned batches nowadays. Rough surfaces, but good details. Really, this is a great way to get involved with ancient coins. You can start putting together a collection inexpensively, and you learn a lot. (It's how I got started.)

You did a good job cleaning this up. I don't see any signs of harsh treatment or over-cleaning. Also, I believe that you have identified it correctly.

FYI, when I ID a coin of an emperor that was minted while he was still caesar, I usually point this out explicitly because I'm so anal. I list the dates that he was emperor and then list the date(s) that the coin was minted, like this:

AE3 of Constantius II (A.D, 337-361), as Caesar.
    Siscia mint, A.D. 334-335.
    etc.

Inspector43 and Arcane76 like this.
  12. Arcane76

Arcane76 Well-Known Member

Nice job cleaning!I haven’t posted yet on cleaning coins but I have some in the works from nobleroman. I was going to wait until they were all done but may start a thread sooner. Thank you for the motivation to do so with your thread!

Inspector43 likes this.
  13. Inspector43

I would like to show my process for identifying and presenting my ancients. Some of my coins are duplicates and there is no scheme or plan to collect any specific coins. I like to clean and ID them. The photos below show how I identify them and capture the information. I print a page for each that shows the reference copy that helped with ID. A description of the coin and a photo of my coin. Then they are put in 2X2's and into an album page. Each is numbered to link the page and the coin. Any suggestions on improvement are welcome.
    IMG_6048.JPG IMG_6124.JPG

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
  14. Inspector43

Thanks for the feedback. I now have another feature to use with my collection.

Draft saved Draft deleted