Start 'em young...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 74Teen, Feb 23, 2013.

1. 74Teen

74Teen Member

Hehehe...

Great day today. Picked up an awesome Kennedy proof (CHEAP - in all honesty, I asked him three times if he was sure it wasn't silver and he really meant to price it for what was marked...) and the last LMC I needed to finish out an album while at the Flea Market today.

Oh, and a 1975 - Current date folder for my seven year old granddaughter. I put all of the coins needed to fill it up, along with a few duplicates and older cents in a Crown Royal bag and gave them to her this afternoon. She kept herself occupied for hours pulling Lincolns from the bag one at a time and putting them in the folder. We spent the afternoon talking at great depth (well, for a seven year old :D ) about how really, really old some of the coins were (way back in the 1970's, ya know...), where they were made (Denver, by where Aunt Sherry lives and Philadelphia where the Liberty Bell is) and the amazing fact that even if the whole folder was full, that still wouldn't be enough pennies to be the same amount of money as the Sacagewa Dollar she had left over from our shopping trip.

Folder and coins? Under four bucks.
    An afternoon helping a seven year old learn and possibly establishing a new hobby? Priceless...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Good story. I never get tired hearing how people share this hobby with family, that's how I learned and that's the way it's done. :thumb:

4. 74Teen

74Teen Member

Given your screen name, you'll probably appreciate the fact that she also has her own set of pink drumsticks as well as a miniature Strat hanging up in the studio alongside my guitars and basses. :p

5. The Beatles

The Beatles Member

Hopefully she'll jump right into the hobby! I was about her age when I started collecting coins (grandfather introduced me :yes:). I'm now an all out numismatist! It's bound to happen!

P.S. I see you're from TN! I am too! Find many ATB's where you are?

6. 74Teen

74Teen Member

Buddy dropped off four rolls for me from his vending machines last night, maybe a dozen ATBs.

Draft saved Draft deleted