STARE & COMPARE !

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by shilines, Jun 16, 2018.

1. shilines

shilines Active Member

Guess what guys, well not just guys gals too, but anyway I recently started a forumn entitled " This one's for the old pro's under the category coin talk. It was about whether or not any of my 1970s Lincoln cents were small dates. All four turned out not to be oh well. Any hoot I didn't know there was a 1970s large date doubled die that is pretty rare and pretty damn valuable until I started browsing different coin sites to learn of different die markers for other coins I have. When I came across an image of the 1970s large date ddo something about it looked pretty familiar. This coin has a lot of die scratches, gouges and unique markings. I pulled out my four 1970s coins and started investigating them under magnification. One of them looks a lot like the big huncho! PicsArt_06-16-07.39.11.jpg PicsArt_06-16-07.41.09.jpg PicsArt_06-16-07.41.09.jpg Under magnification they both have the exact same die markers. I see doubling on my coin as well. Attatched is an online shot of the genuine 1970s ddo, next to it is mine. Dare to stare and compare and then tell me what you think!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Clearly not the same. Get your eyes checked.

4. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I don't see any doubling in the "in good we trust" or "liberty"
    Do you by comparing the two pictures?

could you also take pictures from straight above? camera lens directly above the coin, not off to the side/angle (take a look at where the camera lens is at) ? Also go to a brighter location. Be careful of light reflections (hot spots) creating the illusion of doubling. Don't be in a hurry .. does no one any good.

shilines likes this.
  5. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

I was really hoping you had it. I just don't see it. The ddo-001 is unmistakable when you see it. These thing are rare and have been known for many years. Not saying there not out there in circulation just. Keep looking when you find a good one you will know it.
    Good luck happy hunting.

shilines likes this.
  6. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

not even close

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I say no to Doubled Die on your 1970..

I have a feeling this thread will go on for a few pages though :shifty:

8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I don't think so, Keep going shilines. I like your attitude towards research, keep it up!

shilines likes this.
  9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm not seeing any doubling.

10. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

I'm not seeing it either.
    Dave

11. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

12. shilines

shilines Active Member

So this is considered strike or mechanical doubling then right?
    CM180617-235443003.jpg CM180617-235443003.jpg CM180617-161345029.jpg CM180617-161247027.jpg CM180617-161231026.jpg CM180617-160323013.jpg CM180617-160602018.jpg

13. shilines

shilines Active Member

Please evaluate again with the new photos I posted.

14. shilines

shilines Active Member

New photo's please evaluate again.

15. shilines

shilines Active Member

Are you sure? I added some new photo's

16. shilines

shilines Active Member

What about with the more clearer pictures I posted?

17. shilines

shilines Active Member

Is your answer still the same with the new photo's I just posted.

18. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

19. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

Sorry, not a doubled die.

When dealing with raised devices, a doubled die will increase the size of the devices, while most machine doubling will reduce the size of the devices (usually). The reverse is true with incuse devices. In this case, I don't see a doubled die.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  20. shilines

shilines Active Member

21. shilines

shilines Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted