Star Trek coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by medoraman, Jul 29, 2015.

1. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

So I was wasting time in bed a couple of nights ago, and was watching Coin Vault. They had on there coins with a Star Trek theme. They were one of those NCLT "coins" from a nation no one knows about. They were colorized. Worst, they came in a "star trek" holder that you turned on and lighted up around the coin. It really reminded me of a happy meal toy for my children.

Is this really the future? A piece of metal with artificial color on it, in three layers of packaging and a gimmicky plastic holder powered by AA batteries, all claiming to be a "coin" because some banana republic got paid $.50 per unit to put their name on it?

For the purchase price of this thing, I could buy a bronze coin of Nero or Alexander the Great, or a nice BU WL half, or 16 circulated WL halves, or VF large cent, or even 4 ASE's. Am I just a dinosaur collecting worn bits of metal from long ago, and the future will be filled with Mickey Mouse, James T Kirk, and Gumby instead?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Let the future collect their colorized bit of metal. Just means less competition for those of us who collect the older material.

NeonBlurb and Jwt708 like this.
  4. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Some people will do anything to make a buck. This same people take this stuff to the local shop to see how rich they will get. They have been doing it for years it would stop until people quick buying the junk.

Not a dinosaur you just collect items I call more meaningful.

5. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

I think the graph of people making these coins vs. people buying these coins is quickly approaching a plateau. I too keep seeing these meteorite coins, poisonous animal coins, everything from Niue, etc etc. When it comes time to sell they will get melt and not understand why, at least a bunch of these buyers (especially if buying on TV). Then again, who am I to fault someone who just really likes Star Trek and coins? But one novelty set might be enough by that point methinks, or else you're just throwing money away in a hobby known for throwing money away :)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Is it this one? Come on they are made in Tuvalu! Everyone knows where that is!

StarTrek.jpg Tuvalu.jpg

gronnh20 likes this.
  7. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

I think this was the one. Funny to watch a youtube video where the owner was super excited with the coins and packaging, and used a screwdriver to remove top coin from holder.

Even Mike Mezack guy on TV had trouble removing it on air. Maybe he should bring a screwdriver for next airing :)
    2015-PM-STAR-TREK-0102-SET-BOX.jpg

gronnh20 and paddyman98 like this.
  8. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Actually @paddyman98 had the pic of the one I saw. Man, yours is even more out there @wcoins. Dang.

Listen, I am all for people collecting whatever they want. If they like [Fill in the blank], then good for them. I am just wondering if in the future I tell someone I collect "coins", they will think my house is full of novelty trinkets like these. I simply cannot comprehend how these "things" are coins.

NeonBlurb and paddyman98 like this.
  9. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

10. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

11. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

No different than the "BUY ME" crap being issued every day by the US mint. Everything has a place and someone who wants it.

Draft saved Draft deleted