Star Of Bethlehem Roman Provincial

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TTerrier, Oct 2, 2016.

1. TTerrier

TTerrier Well-Known Member

This is another coin from the Seleucid lot that I thought was unusual. Rather than me try to explain I will include a link to a great summary of a theory of why these coins were produced and a lot of nice examples - the information is from the Beast Coins website. I have not asked his permission to do this so if I am offside moderators please let me know and kindly remove the link.

http://beastcoins.com/Collections/Star-Of-Bethlehem/Star-Of-Bethlehem.htm

In really summarized form, the Ram (or Aries in the zodiac) represented Judea in some way. In 6 BC (which the Magi recognized as a year of a divine birth) there was an unusual alignment of the planets in Aries, which is represented on the coin by the ram looking back at the star.

The date on the coin ΔΜ or 44 would be 13/14 AD using the Actian dating system (Doug gave a good explanation of this in the Varus thread). This would equate to 18 years after 6 BC which I guess is a birthday that had particular meaning. In Canada it means if you live in Alberta you get to start drinking in bars!

AE 7.02g 20mm
    Semi-autonomous coin of Antioch
    Struck under governor Quintus Caecilius Metellus Creticus Silanus
    Head of Zeus right /
    Leaping Ram looking back at star
    [ΕΠΙ ΣΙΛ]ΑΝΟΥ ΑΝΤΙΟΧΕΩΝ "reign of Silanus Antioch" (thanks to Beast coins for making the attribution easier)

Bethlehem Obverse.jpg Bethlehem Reverse.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Very nice. Someone else here has shown a similar coin, but I don't remember who. Congratulations.

paschka and Deacon Ray like this.
  4. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Stars are not uncommon in Eastern coinage, so anything else to go on other than the writings of a Christian writer in 1999? Call me a little skeptical of this interpretation of that coin, especially considering Jesus was an unknown Judean carpenter at that time.

Alegandron, paschka, GregH and 5 others like this.
  5. TTerrier

TTerrier Well-Known Member

I have to agree Salient it seems a bit of a stretch to me as well but it is a theory that makes for interesting reading and there are a lot of great coins on that linked page to look at. In my quick bit of internet research I didn't see any other explanations as to why the ram and star are together like that so it is a bit of a mystery.

As an aside the lot included a second coin from this series with a different date and the reverse a bit off centre.

Mikey Zee and Deacon Ray like this.
  6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I don't care if the Christian connotation is a bit of a stretch; it's a fun tie-in regardless. Great coin, great design, great patina. All good.

7. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

After reading the link by Beast Coins, I found 4 coins of mine that might fit the theoretical and interesting mystery indeed related to the famous Star of Bethlehem.
    The 4 coins show the ram and were all struck in Antioch. They represent Emperors:
    Elagabalus, Gordian III, as well as both Emperors Philip I and II. HeliogRam R 001.jpg HeliogR O 001.jpg Gord O Left 001.jpg Gord R Left 001.jpg Phil 2 Tyche   8 Assaria.jpg Phil 2 ANT BMC 564.jpg Philip one Tych  19.3g star.JPG Philip one ANT   SNG 271.JPG

dlhill132, paschka, stevex6 and 6 others like this.
  8. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

The ram and star combination while common to Antioch is found in a great many other areas of the ancient world (even extending to the British Celts). A ram was possibly one of the most commonly used animals for sacrifice. The star? Well, one can speculate. It can be anything but I would suggest it simply represents divinity. The Christian connection is a neat theory, but I'm not aware of many who think it stands up (in fact the Beast article is the only place I've heard of it).

Alegandron, paschka, Sallent and 2 others like this.
  9. paschka

paschka Well-Known Member

This is a very good coin with the star of Bethlehem. Around the time of Christ's birth. I have such a super state. Then here you will show it. But they are all different, and there's a different letter.

10. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Once again I came across a new coin related possibly to the famous Star of Bethlehem. This one commemorates 100th year after the ministry and Resurrection of Yeshua (Jesus). Autonomous issue- Antioch- Struck under Roman Emperor Hadrian, it has Tyche on obverse. The reverse shows a ram looking back with star and crescent above, Beta( B ) in left field, ETZOP below referring to the Caesarean year 177 ( 128/ 129 AD ). Butcher 268 - Paris 417. Weight : 5.17 g. StBeth R 001.jpg StBeth R600 001.jpg StBeth O 001.jpg
    I would still need to clean this coin a little bit and shoot it with my digital camera.

dlhill132, paschka, TIF and 4 others like this.
  11. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

It's Marketing 101. I'm more comfortable with certainty than tenuous wish-thinking. There are more likely explanations than the one that some people want to believe.

12. paschka

paschka Well-Known Member

20161008_145603.jpg 20161008_145538.jpg
    ☺10 Gr. !!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    dlhill132, Bing, 7Calbrey and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted