Star notes

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Vertigo, Sep 20, 2022.

1. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

So i don't know much about these yet. I have only ever found a 1.00 and a 50.00 in about 6 months of looking. 2 weeks ago I told my daughter about them. She works in a gas station and restaurant in Illinois. In like a week she has found a 2017 50.00. 2x 1.00 bills. And today this 1974 20.00. 4 bills in a little over a week. I like the 1974 because it's an older style bill. She is coming next week to see me and I'm trading her cash for these.
    IMG_2823.jpg

Dynoking, NOS and Hommer like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Nice, shame for the pen markings.

My best star note was also a $20, but mine was a 1981! You got me beat!
    For sure nice to have someone willing to do this for you. Hope you have more luck in the future!

4. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

In my opinion, the writing kills any value. To me I would rather use the money towards something else (coins) than keep it tied up in this note that will always be worth face value. Just my thoughts and you should do whatever you think is best.

Here is a good link to check the rarity of star notes (only goes back to series 1981). Grenerally, the notes need to be crisp UNC to have any additional value unless they are from small print runs. Not a big deal to save lower grade ones, but you may want to think before saving higher denominations in crummy condition.

https://www.mycurrencycollection.com/reference/star-notes/lookup

Dynoking likes this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Nice find and she may help you to get more due to her handling of cash. Unfortunately the twenty dollar bill has numbers written on it, which is damage. The note does have folds and with paper money, bills need to be pristine. The writing is a killer.

6. Vertigo

Yes I knew it probably was killed with the writing. But it is still something you don't see daily being an old style bill.

7. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

My only reference is a 2011 guide.
    It has a 1974 L* Block $20 FRN in that serial number range listed at $80 in CHCU.
    Yours is nowhere near CHCU plus there is the writing.
    Maybe (?) to a collector you could get $25.
    Dealers probably wouldn't want it.

8. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

One of my Star Notes...

Attached Files:

NOS likes this.
  9. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

*STAR* notes are cool to collect but
    as fas as value goes there needs to be
    something more like an unusual serial
    number and great condition is a must !

10. Vertigo

Well this kid just found another dollar yesterday. In a little over a week she has found a 50.00, a 20.00, and 3 1.00

11. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Which is strong evidence that star notes are a lot more common than people think and therefore not all that valuable.

mpcusa likes this.
  12. mpcusa

They really are, have several 1957.s
    SC, all stars and all gems, value is
    only about $25 ;(

13. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

It really just depends. Some runs of star notes are quite small (say 32K or 64K notes printed), hard to find, and rather valuable- particularly in uncirculated condition. But for full runs of say 3.2 million these are what makes them commonly encountered overall to the tune of one or two star notes typically seen out of every 2-300 notes in circulation for a given denomination.

In 15-20 years star notes may not be printed any longer; in which case, I expect their value and collectability to eventually go up.

14. Vertigo

Ok so revisiting this post. My daughter came to see me and left October 5. The other day she mailed me the star notes she found in the last like 6 weeks. I know these are circulated and probably worth face. But look at all the ones she found. There's a little over 200.00 here. I found one 1.00 and one 50.00 in the last like year. And she found all these in 6 weeks. She works at a gas station and restaurant as a waitress. But seriously, do other people find this many? And then I reimbursed her on my bank account. Because this became a savings for black Friday. And she went to the atm to get the money and she got another 20.00 star. I get money out of the atm weekly and only got that one 50 all year.
    Screenshot_20221124-085847_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20221124-090510_Gallery.jpg

IrishLuck likes this.
  15. mpcusa

one of the issues you have is there circulated notes, as collectors most are looking for pristine condition ones that are problem free, but it seems like your having with
    it and thats all that matters :)

Draft saved Draft deleted