Star Notes

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Chewmassa, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Chewmassa

Chewmassa Now where could my pipe be?

I seriously doubt I would ever part with these, but I'm curious what sort of premium, if any these two star notes might carry. I have a few more and I know these aren't in great condition but these are the two I find most interesting.
    20170822_162011.jpg
    Sorry about the low quality pics. The $20 is dated 1990 and the $1 is a silver cert dated 1957.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Condition is everything.
    To me it's only $20 and $2. But others will disagree.

Chewmassa likes this.
  4. Chewmassa

Thanks for your input. I had suspected as much, but was curious what others might have to say on the issue. Thanks again for your response ☺

5. Michael K

Some stars do carry a premium. But these are not rare or old or in good condition, or fancy serial numbers. I don't have the "run" numbers for these star notes, it is possible that a low run count could make it worth something, but to me, etc.

6. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I agree with Michael K. The $20 is a spender. The silver cert is pretty worn. $2 may be generous in that condition

7. Chewmassa

Sadly, although I'm certain you're both right about the $20 carrying no premium whatsoever, I doubt I'll be able to bring myself to spend it.

8. Michael K

It's so worn, it either has been in the wash, it even looks counterfeit. (It's prob real, just saying.) You can keep it if it is special to you. I prefer the small heads, and there are star collectors. I had a small head 100 that was only worth face and eventually I spent it. 20 is prob easier to hold onto.

9. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

You could always use it to buy something like a nice 2 cent, 3 cent, or half dime in Good or an AU Indian Cent? Or what about some XF/AU Buffalo Nickels? Or add a buck or 2 and get a One Ounce Silver Eagle? Tempting?:troll:

If it has some special meaning, then keep it and ignore my post, but if your hanging on to it in the hopes that might go up in value someday....it won't

10. Chewmassa

No particular sentimental value or expectation of monetary gain. Just my own inability to spend any star notes that borders on OCD. As far as spending it on coins, I'm really only into collectimg lincoln cents. Maybe a few VF wheats that I'm missing from my book would sway me :p

PS I'm so glad I've never gotten a star $100

11. TJM3

TJM3 New Member

Your not the only one, I have the same issue with web notes I've pulled from circulation ;)

Chewmassa likes this.
  12. Chewmassa

Good to know I'm not alone in my eccentricity.

13. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news and please don't shoot the messenger..LOL
    But what you have there is very little value, I have several mint condition 1957
    Silver certificate stars and there value is only about $18, the reason, they made way to many of these and you can pretty much pick them up for a song ! your note is
    in rough condition and I doubt anybody would offer anything over face, also
    The $20 star I would think similar.

14. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio Active Member

I disagree,,,,The $20 is not a spender but a space filler until something of better quality comes your way. It will no damage being in the collection until that time arises.... However me being an aussie, i know not much about silver certs...All i know is that they all have the blue seal. I also think they were cashed in at one time for an ounce of silver but not 100% certain..I have 3 in a frame but dont know if they are of interest to anyone...I will place a pic in here for you to judge....My grading is i would call them fine as none have tears but are severely creased both vertical and horizontal. At present the frame is just sitting on my bench..I have never taken them out of the frame and do not know what the backs are like.... It cost me $10.00 which i thought was cheap with frame included. I will sell ifnthere is any intrest but once again the notes are not high grade....OIO IMG_0694.JPG Banknore and Frame.JPG but am willing to seel if someone is interested... The fram Banknore and Frame.JPG

15. Michael K

Not an ounce of silver, a silver dollar. A silver dollar does have 77% of an ounce.
    I assume you could get silver quarters/halves. This ended in 1964.
    "On March 25, 1964, C. Douglas Dillon, the 57th Secretary of the Treasury announced that silver certificates would no longer be redeemable in silver dollars. This decision was pursuant to the Act of June 4, 1963 (31 U.S.C. 405a-1). The Act allowed the exchange of silver certificates for silver bullion until June 24, 1968. This was the deadline set by the Congress. Since that date, there has been no obligation to issue silver in any form in exchange for these certificates. You may be interested to know that the Congress took this action because there were approximately three million silver dollars remaining in the Treasury Department's vaults. These coins had high numismatic values, and there was no way to make an equitable distribution of them among the many people holding silver certificates."

Chewmassa likes this.
  16. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I like the fact that they were found in a picture frame, that,s so cool but again
    Condition, Condition, Condition is the number one rule especially with these
    Just to common.

The $20 you speak of is in similar condition so unless it,s something super rare
    there would not be much of a premium over face.

17. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio Active Member

If they were in better condition, they would not have been in the frame

Draft saved Draft deleted