Star Notes

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by chazmasterman, Feb 28, 2015.

1. icollectoldmoney

icollectoldmoney ANA Member:3192499

star notes are cool but some people try to over price them.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sean the Coin Collector

Sean the Coin Collector Active Member

I see a few a week working at a bank and usually put them aside to buy when i get the money to buy them out of my drawer. I have found some older ones and it is like a little perk that makes my job better.

4. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

Not quite. The star note has a totally different serial number than the defective note that it replaces. That's the whole point of star notes--they can be printed up in advance, and then used to replace whatever defective notes are caught during the main printing.

In the very old days, star notes weren't used; instead, every bad note had to be individually reprinted, with the same serial number as the original. That took way too long, which is why star notes were invented. Star notes were first used in 1910 for the lower-denomination (hence higher-volume) notes, and by the 1940s they were in use for all currency printings.

5. chazmasterman

chazmasterman Change your Change

Yea I think they are cool to find and collect. what got me started when I got a fresh $20.00 unspent. There it was staring at me.. so I keep it. since then I have gotten a few others. Not as in a crisp shape as that though..

6. chazmasterman

chazmasterman Change your Change

what about any fancy serial numbers?

7. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

I collect 1928 to 1934 series star notes.

8. Mic123

Mic123 Member

thanks to every one who explained Star Notes

RegisG likes this.
  9. panther

panther Junior Member

One's, two's, fives on occasion. Have two unc. straps of one's Chicago Fed "G"

Draft saved Draft deleted