Star Notes, Worth Selling?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by vtvick777, Mar 3, 2012.

1. vtvick777

vtvick777 Member

I've found a few star notes over the past year. I have kept them for awhile, but I need the money now, so I'm going to either turn them in, or list them here or ebay. So, are they worth enough over face that they would be worth selling, after fees? Other than production run #, and condition, are there other variables that determine the value of star notes? If its a post-2000 star note, and has a higher production run, are they basically all not worth selling.

$20 2006 IK00680987 run - 3,200,000
    $50 2004A GE01838475 run - 2,560,000
    $100 2003 DK00188354 run - 2,688,000

dollar (3).jpg dollar (5).jpg IMG_0519small.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

It's hard to say what someone will pay for modern era, large run, circulated star notes. You could try to sell them on the for sale area of the CoinTalk forum, altho it's dominated by sellers of those shiney metal discs.

4. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

spend them. lol from my experience of selling my collection recently, people are not even paying decent prices for gem star notes that are from the 20's-30's.(1928-1934 series) those are modern notes in semi circulated condition. go spend your $170 and have some fun :)

5. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

I'd keep the $20 and spent the $100 and $50. As for selling, you would get face value if not maybe a few extra dollars so if all you want is to sell them and make money and you're not just a collector, you'd be better off just spending them...

-tbud

6. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

Hhmmm well what is "decent prices" in your book? Last I checked, GEM stars from that era came attached with a pretty penny....

7. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

I would only pay a few dollars over face for modern star notes.

8. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

FYI: the numbers you quote are the total number printed for the series/district--they're not the run sizes. For example, the 2003 $100 Dallas star was printed in three runs:

run 1: 00000001-01280000 : 1,280,000 notes
    run 2: 03200001-03328000 : 128,000 notes
    run 3: 06400001-07680000 : 1,280,000 notes

So run 2 is much scarcer than the other two runs, and a note from that run would be much easier to sell for a premium. Unfortunately your note is from run 1. :(

Your $20 and $50 are simpler cases; each of those is from the only run printed for its series/district, so the total printage that you list happens to also be the run size.

9. vtvick777

vtvick777 Member

Alright, thanks for the info guys. Looks like I will be spending them.

10. sylvestri89

sylvestri89 New Member

Sorry, I am new here and do not know if this is where I should post something like this, but I would like to get some information on my bills. I am currently falling on hard times, and I am considering just depositing all my money if they aren't really worth keeping around or have any value too them. Thank you for any help you can give me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tater and Legomaster1 like this.
  11. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I'm surprised a mod hasn't axed the above post.

Beefer518 likes this.
  12. Jay1111

Jay1111 New Member

I have a $100 bill
    LH 11638022 *
    With star from 2009
    I saw above posts and figure same applies but thought I'd check. thx

13. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Condition is everything, especially on notes that are on the marginal side

14. Love

Love New Member

I have a circulated 2013 five dollar note carrying a full run and slight misprint.

15. I recently picked these up at a small auction in Germany. I paid $7.80 for two $1 low print runs. Total printed was much higher, but both of these New York notes (Series 2003 and 2003A) come from a low print run of 320,000. I would assume in the US you would pay 10-15 for each (ungraded). This shows that even pristine only has a little premium. I would switch them out for $1's search them and then save the special notes and star notes. A lot more fun to have 100 $1 star notes then just one one-hundred that takes up a lot of value. Try offering the star notes on Ebay outside the US. Foreign collectors might be willing to pay a little more premium. Only sell to countries with a good reputation (Japan, Signapore, Germany, UK, ect) if you are selling big bills. The risk is otherwise too large that someone might try to pull a fast one with Paypal. With $1 Star Notes the risk is a lot less because the financial gain is too small.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    Love and SteveInTampa like this.
  16. Robert Moose

Robert Moose New Member

Hello, my name is Robert, and I have a $5 bill that's a star note (green), series 2013, serial number: MA00098208*. I would like to know if it's worth anything besides it's face value.

17. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

I spent my modern star note FRN's.

Nobody seems to be buying those things now.

18. kimberly delgado

kimberly delgado New Member

I have a 2013 L05266654* how much is it worth

19. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Welcome to the neighborhood, Kimberly!

I don't collect paper money, but I can tell you that, like coins, condition is very important. It would help if you posted photos of both sides.

Chris

20. JERMAINE KEENE

JERMAINE KEENE Runway 000

Hello.. I have a 2013 $1 note that is rare Is it worth anything ??? F06503397*

Thank you in advance

21. Cynthia1978

Cynthia1978 New Member

I have a $20 star note (00063924*) could anybody tell me how much that might be worth or what place do I go to to look and see how much it's worth thanks

Draft saved Draft deleted